Page 1 of 1

Japanese Mortar Issu

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:47 am
by IKerensky
I got some pb with the 50mm Japanese Knee Morter in my Japanese Long War Campaign. In fact the pb is not for me but for my opponent.
I found that the in-squad 50mm mortar provided to SNFL squads and * suqad is for too much accurate.
At 6 hex the first shot is usually with a 60% hit probability, really high for a lobbed weapon. And that became even worst with the elite SNFL troups and there FD of 4.
It would be quite logical that it is easy to lob a shell on a 50meter square 300 meters away but even on a small target like a sniper, or a moving light tank the % is still really high from first shoot on .
In fact it is really really more accurate to shoot light tank than the AT rifle. Something that looks quite wrong to me.

I know that his pesky 13mm penetration will not be a big deal when I will be facing heavy armored british or US troups. But the capability to blow on the first shoot any light tank or APC seems a bit too much.

Can someone else have a look at this for version 5.02 ?

P.S. Sven please no funny comment, it just tend to make thread less readable.

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: Ivan GREYWOLF Kerensky ]

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 3:09 am
by sven
Originally posted by Ivan GREYWOLF Kerensky:
I got some pb with the 50mm Japanese Knee Morter in my Japanese Long War Campaign. In fact the pb is not for me but for my opponent.
I found that the in-squad 50mm mortar provided to SNFL squads and * suqad is for too much accurate.
At 6 hex the first shot is usually with a 60% hit probability, really high for a lobbed weapon. And that became even worst with the elite SNFL troups and there FD of 4.
It would be quite logical that it is easy to lob a shell on a 50meter square 300 meters away but even on a small target like a sniper, or a moving light tank the % is still really high from first shoot on .
In fact it is really really more accurate to shoot light tank than the AT rifle. Something that looks quite wrong to me.

I know that his pesky 13mm penetration will not be a big deal when I will be facing heavy armored british or US troups. But the capability to blow on the first shoot any light tank or APC seems a bit too much.

Can someone else have a look at this for version 5.02 ?

P.S. Sven please no funny comment, it just tend to make thread less readable.

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: Ivan GREYWOLF Kerensky ]

Ivan i think you are probably right about the mortars being too good. Why don't you e-mail warhorse? You could also wait in the chat area and see if he pops in.

regards,
sven

p.s. I seldom mock serious, reasonable points: and I am NEVER funny.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 5:22 pm
by Peregrine Falcon
Originally posted by Ivan GREYWOLF Kerensky:
I got some pb with the 50mm Japanese Knee Morter in my Japanese Long War Campaign. In fact the pb is not for me but for my opponent.
I found that the in-squad 50mm mortar provided to SNFL squads and * suqad is for too much accurate.
At 6 hex the first shot is usually with a 60% hit probability, really high for a lobbed weapon. And that became even worst with the elite SNFL troups and there FD of 4.
It would be quite logical that it is easy to lob a shell on a 50meter square 300 meters away but even on a small target like a sniper, or a moving light tank the % is still really high from first shoot on .
In fact it is really really more accurate to shoot light tank than the AT rifle. Something that looks quite wrong to me.

I know that his pesky 13mm penetration will not be a big deal when I will be facing heavy armored british or US troups. But the capability to blow on the first shoot any light tank or APC seems a bit too much.

Can someone else have a look at this for version 5.02 ?

P.S. Sven please no funny comment, it just tend to make thread less readable.

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: Ivan GREYWOLF Kerensky ]

Oh, my favorite subject! Image

It's stats are really a bit too high.
For Type 10, accuracy is 28, and range is 12.

According to TM-E 30-480 1944 Technical Manual, its range is 65-175 yards.

For Type 89 (or Type 80 in some sources)
Max.Range : 131-670 yards.

Btw...Was Type 89 really also called "Knee Mortar"? This was a much heavier and larger mortar than Type 10. (

Ok, it was a very COMMON name, but it was a bad translation anyway.

I would suggest replacing it with "Leg Mortar" - Term "Knee Mortar" could be too confusing for the AI. It could try firing it against the knee, like some poor stupid Allied soldiers during the WWII ;) ;)

BOOM! One more fractured leg bone. :)