Basic questions
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:58 pm
Hi all,
I bought the game yesterday, having no experience in this sort of gaming before. FYI, I was so impressed by the reviews and discussion on this site that I thought why not.
Anyway, first impressions are that the game looks deceptively simple but after 5 mins or so into the 1st training scenario, you very quickly get the idea that there is a lot to know and do.
I am not too computer savvy so forgive me if these questions are a little dumb arse. If I download the latest patch, will it contain all relevant updates or do I have to download earlier patches as well? The version of the game I have is, I think (doing this at work and can't quite remember) 2.07.
The manual that came with the game is OK but is printed too small and not in colour which makes it difficult to follow some of the explanations etc, is it available as a PDF anywhere for easier viewing?
When they talk about a unit's personnel and anti personnel fire power, I presume the former is actual number of soldiers etc, what is the latter figure related to. How does the idea of greater firepower fit in here (I understand it is a more complicated concept taking into account terrain, weather etc etc)? How do you take into account the AP FP?
I played out Scenario 1 and achieved a marginal victory which surprised me because a. I did not really have much of a clue what was going on and b. the scenario did not exactly unfold as the manual described. For instance, my units took Groesbeek very quickly with very little resistance and I also took the bridge in the far north (name escapes me) with the units going through Jonkers. I think I did something wrong there as the fighting was really fierce and my mortars got routed. The AI is very impressive.
When you are plotting movements with waypoints, taking scenario 1, it says to send the 3.505 Bth HQ north to Jonkers to prepare for the attack on the river crossing but do so in a way that avoids other enemy positions so that the element of surprise can be utilised. When plotting movement, I kind of did so along the edges of woods, some tracks etc but stayed clear of roads and was approx 1 to 2 kms away from enemy positions. Is this a sensible approach?
I am looking forward to playing the game and learning more about it. I love the airstrike and bombardment capability and the sounds are a good laugh as well.
Thanks for any help and please excuse stupidity on my part.[&o]
I bought the game yesterday, having no experience in this sort of gaming before. FYI, I was so impressed by the reviews and discussion on this site that I thought why not.
Anyway, first impressions are that the game looks deceptively simple but after 5 mins or so into the 1st training scenario, you very quickly get the idea that there is a lot to know and do.
I am not too computer savvy so forgive me if these questions are a little dumb arse. If I download the latest patch, will it contain all relevant updates or do I have to download earlier patches as well? The version of the game I have is, I think (doing this at work and can't quite remember) 2.07.
The manual that came with the game is OK but is printed too small and not in colour which makes it difficult to follow some of the explanations etc, is it available as a PDF anywhere for easier viewing?
When they talk about a unit's personnel and anti personnel fire power, I presume the former is actual number of soldiers etc, what is the latter figure related to. How does the idea of greater firepower fit in here (I understand it is a more complicated concept taking into account terrain, weather etc etc)? How do you take into account the AP FP?
I played out Scenario 1 and achieved a marginal victory which surprised me because a. I did not really have much of a clue what was going on and b. the scenario did not exactly unfold as the manual described. For instance, my units took Groesbeek very quickly with very little resistance and I also took the bridge in the far north (name escapes me) with the units going through Jonkers. I think I did something wrong there as the fighting was really fierce and my mortars got routed. The AI is very impressive.
When you are plotting movements with waypoints, taking scenario 1, it says to send the 3.505 Bth HQ north to Jonkers to prepare for the attack on the river crossing but do so in a way that avoids other enemy positions so that the element of surprise can be utilised. When plotting movement, I kind of did so along the edges of woods, some tracks etc but stayed clear of roads and was approx 1 to 2 kms away from enemy positions. Is this a sensible approach?
I am looking forward to playing the game and learning more about it. I love the airstrike and bombardment capability and the sounds are a good laugh as well.
Thanks for any help and please excuse stupidity on my part.[&o]