Page 1 of 1

How is that???!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:46 am
by Onime No Kyo
I'm just sitting here playing the '43 scenario. One of my subs just put one solitary torpedo into the CA Suzuya. And it promptly keeled over and sank??!! How does this work? I've put 5 times that amount of ordinance into transports for nothing bigger than a fire. I've even had the Congo hit with 23 1000lb bombs and all it got me was the communal finger from the crew.

RE: How is that???!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:49 am
by Tankerace
Well, wierder things have happened. US Subs could put 12 torpedoes into a transport and she not sink (duds), whereas larger ships would take 1 or 2 torpedo hits and roll over. Still, I wouldn't complain. I'd give the SOB the Medal of Honor.

RE: How is that???!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:17 am
by Belce
Quality of damage done. Some hits are really bad and some not so, varies with ordance used and the quality of the hit vs the target. Sounds like a very lucky torp hit there. Remember, the Argentine cruiser sunk by the British during the Falkend Islands' war with a single torpedo as well.

RE: How is that???!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:26 am
by Tanaka
was the Indianapolis sunk by a single torpedo???

RE: How is that???!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:30 am
by pad152
With 1.3, I've noticed in surface combat, that torpedoes that hit AP's and AK's sunk them real fast, one hit and they are gone!

RE: How is that???!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:13 pm
by Tankerace
ORIGINAL: Tanaka

was the Indianapolis sunk by a single torpedo???

If I remember correctly, they confirmed 2 torpedo hits, one near the bow, the other midships near the boilers.

RE: How is that???!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:22 pm
by Halsey
Here is an interesting thread. The transripts of the commander of I-58 during McVay's courtmartial.

Also contains McVay's testimony on a previous link.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq30-8.htm

RE: How is that???!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:26 pm
by tsimmonds
ORIGINAL: Tankerace
ORIGINAL: Tanaka

was the Indianapolis sunk by a single torpedo???

If I remember correctly, they confirmed 2 torpedo hits, one near the bow, the other midships near the boilers.

No US cruiser succumbed to a single torpedo hit, nor did any Japanese CA. Several Japanese CLs did though. It was that centerline bulkhead that did them in, asymmetrical flooding.