Page 1 of 2
Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:10 am
by stall84
Honestly, I LOVE strategy games, I really loved Highway to the Reich and the like.... I really like "big picture" type strategic games, and I really think this is up my alley.
So is it really worth $60.00?
I'm a college student, so yes the question is neccesarry. Need honest straight-forward stuff.... this game has been calling me for a while, and I can't decide
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:14 am
by madflava13
Trust me, it's worth it. I'm a student as well, living off of loans. This game will suck up every free minute you have if you let it. You'll be playing it for at least the next 10 years, so if you consider that, $60 is not much at all.
I don't know if you're familiar with UV, but WiTP is vastly improved from that game, with many many additional features. You said you like the grand strategic type games - this one's for you.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
by stall84
madflava I think you might be right, cuz there are a few games that have lasted me for a loooooooong time Highway to the Reich is one of them. I love those games that never get old....
Ok..... I'm gettin closer to whipin out (parents) credit card

RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:21 am
by Platoonist
Helps if you love the subject matter. Troops fighting for months over isolated islands and airfields that if captured control vast swaths of ocean that ships take days to cross and planes can strike over in minutes. Always a lot going on in three dimensions at least.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:23 am
by Dereck
I've been playing war games since my brother and I bought the Avalon Hill board game Panzer Blitz back in 1976 and War in the Pacific is a gamers dream come true. There's some bugs in the game but for as massive as it is they're minor plus the developers are working on them.
It's worth it in my opinion.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:51 am
by stall84
Ya sold me.... I bought it..
Heres to many fun nights!
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:59 am
by Titanwarrior89
This is the best war game ever produced. It has some problems but over all it's one heck of a wargame. [:D]
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:44 am
by stall84
Oh sweet jesus!
I did a digital download and have no manual... this is tooo intimidating, please tell me there is somewhere I can go to learn the basics?
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:24 am
by ckk
Yes this the best game ever. Especially if you love the subject. Read the manual. Do the tutorial and ask quedtion especially in the support forum . There are lots of folks ready to help.[;)][;)][;)]
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:31 am
by ckk
What do you mean you have no manulal. Its in the original download/disc.[&:]
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:35 am
by stall84
I did a digital download, Ill look for it I might have jumped the gun.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:40 am
by ckk
Go to the WITP directiry and doubleclick and you will get the folders one is called manuals . There are several in there.[:D]
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:54 am
by madflava13
Yeah the manual is in PDF format in the "manuals" folder... Its pretty good, but the production and supply information can get confusing at times. A lot of people have one printed up at Kinko's or wherever - I think that runs about $30-40, but I have not done it myself.
Also check out Spooky's Site here:
http://mathubert.free.fr/
There's a ton of player mods (sound, graphics, OOB, etc) available. You can find tips for beginners, strategy guides from some more experienced players, as well as hints on production and such for the Japanese player.
If you still have questions after reading all that stuff, searching these boards or just asking will get you an answer. Everyone's friendly around here, so don't be afraid to pipe up.
Good luck and welcome aboard!
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:16 am
by 2ndACR
You are so screwed now!!!!! Prepare to flunk out of school.[:D]
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:18 am
by Tankerace
Hey, I'm in college, play WitP, and am writing War Plan Orange, and I'm not flunking....course, my grade's aren't straight 'A's anymore though... but that started 2 semesters ago [:D]
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:56 am
by Brady
This is indead one of he best games ever, while I may find fault with some aspects of it, this is realy a feaking great game.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:06 am
by Freddy Fudpucker
Stall84,
Was the download version 1.3? I just ordered WiTP too but on hard copy only (no dd for me) and am hoping that it'll be 1.3 when it arrives.
Only problem with hard copy of course is waiting for it to arrive, and I have no idea how long that takes!
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:43 pm
by Dereck
Two ways to find the manual.
1) Use the START option on the windows task bar and find War in the Pacific and underneath that option there will be Adobe files which contain the manual. They're called War inthe Pacific Manual.
2) Use Windows Explorer and find the directory where the manuals are (underneath War in the Pacific in a directory called Manuals) and double click on the manual file.
You do need Adobe Reader 6.0 to read them though which can be downloaded for free if you have to.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:58 pm
by stall84
I found the maual, and am reading it while grinding my teeth in agony....
Jeez this game is complicate, I mean I expected it to be, and that's a good thing, but dang... beyond all expectations complicated
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:06 pm
by Dereck
If you have trouble downloading from the "Members" area, try the "Downloads" area. There was a problem when 1.3 came out where people couldn't download from the "Members" area but had no problems using the "Downloads" area.