Page 1 of 1
Any Comparisons of CCAW and Uncommom Valor?
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:57 pm
by elcidce
I was thinking about buying a copy of Complete Carriers at War from the SSG webpage and was hoping that someone here has played both titles. I am hoping it is a detailed tactical game wheras UV is more operational. If you might be able to compare and contrast the games, I would really appreciate it. Also has anyone played CCAW after the Win XP SP2 patch? Thanks.
RE: Any Comparisons of CCAW and Uncommom Valor?
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:56 pm
by Desertmole
I have played CCAW for many years. It has been around since 1986, actually, and was updated by the SSG guys after Win 95 came out. Not a bad game.
It is much more a hands on game, and you can play it with turns as short as 10 minutes or as long as a day. You maneuver premade task forces and can order individual squadrons to various missions (CAP, escort, strike land base, strike ships, etc.) You can also order coordinated strikes or send your planes off as they are readied. Like UV, planes can be damaged or destroyed. Your squadrons also have reserve aircraft in some scenarios. Best of all, there is a scenario builder, though it is a lot of hard work. You can actually build the AI into the scenario. You can give it alternate courses of action. You can add ships and aircraft to the database of a given scenario as well. Alas, there are no ground units in the game, only bases.
UV is, I think, partially based on the old Great Naval Battles games. At least the supply and ground combat systems behave like them. GNB was more of a naval combat simulator, whereas UV takes out the ship-handling, and fighting, and makes it more abstract. Still, I like both, and I had reqworked an old Pentium I to play the old DOS GNB and Steel Panthers Games. Guess I am just old fashioned.

RE: Any Comparisons of CCAW and Uncommom Valor?
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:46 am
by marky
hmm sounds interesting
wats the link for the SSG site?
RE: Any Comparisons of CCAW and Uncommom Valor?
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:21 am
by elcidce
I think their webpage is
www.ssgus.com
RE: Any Comparisons of CCAW and Uncommom Valor?
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:08 am
by Blitzer
Yep I agree completely with you guys. What I'd realy love to see is a realistic game of tactical carrier warfare.
In my mind it would have to include the strategic deployments beforehand in order to influence the results. It's easy to forget that in the entire Pacific conflict there were only six carrier clashes: Coral Sea, Midway, Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz, the Marianas, and Cape Engano - the lase two being total blowouts.
Enabling variations of these encounters, plotting new engagements and/or OOBs, or best of all using a powerful editor to create entoirely new battles would be ideal.
We may have to wait a bit for this one I think...