Page 1 of 2
Amphib Assault
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:49 pm
by Cpt.Buckmaster
I'm about to send a US Army force in (the marines are occupied ATM [;)] ) to take a medium-defended Japanese base (3-4 units sighted). Since you guys are all so wise and seasoned (hehe), I'd like to hear what 'salad' of ground units you guys would land there if you were planning the invasion. A few basic details about the base (which will remain unnamed at this time... heh) has a size 4 AF, 75-100 costal guns, and is on a medium-sized land mass (i.e. not an island, but not a continent either). Also, I don't anticipate any huge counter-attacks since there aren't many other enemy ground forces within any distance to worry about. I'd like to drop on in, fight a few rounds, laugh at a final banzai charge, and then set up shop at the airfield for some medium-bombing and whatnot.
For example, I was thinking of landing the following cast of characters:
1 x USA Inf
1 x USA Cav
1 x USA Arty
1 x EAB
1 x Aviation Rgt
3 x Seebees
Now, I'm sure the above force would probably do alright, but I'm still kindof a rookie here and I'd like to hear other people's strategies and thoughts. [;)]
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:59 pm
by anarchyintheuk
For invasions I use the "one more" rule. If I think I have enough, I add one more rgt/div to the invasion force if I can support them and it's available. Make sure you've done all the prep work on the target that you'll need too (recon, prep your units, air/naval bombard, etc.). Good luck with your as yet unspecified target.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:12 pm
by DrewMatrix
Regarding your invasion mix: I agree you want the EAB, Seabees, base force, air support units nearby so you can repair the base ASAP (to unload the rest of your troops even faster) and to get the base working for you quickly.
But you probably shouldn't land non-combat units in the first wave. That first wave (while the enemy controls the base) will take operational losses (broken ankle getting out of the boat) losses and the ships will likely take shore-battery hits. You only want units with big assault factors (Inf, Cav and maybe arty) in the intial wave. Have the others sit 1 hex away until the beach is friendly.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:13 pm
by 2ndACR
I hope you are not refering to UV style of banzai attacks. They do not happen anymore.
Japanese forces can last quite a while before you defeat them. I would try and get an idea of what exactly is there before invading. Even a Japanese brigade dug in with good forts can exact a huge toll on your invasion forces. If it is a division, I would bring alot more firepower.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:43 pm
by Cpt.Buckmaster
Great advice so far fellas... I appreciate it.
As far as the banzai thing goes, I'm talking about when you've backed a smaller japanese group to the wall and just before you 'destroy' the unit you get a message like 'xx inf div banzai attacks!.' I've gotten a couple chuckles out of that.
[:D]
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:43 am
by Dereck
ORIGINAL: Cpt.Buckmaster
I'm about to send a US Army force in (the marines are occupied ATM [;)] ) to take a medium-defended Japanese base (3-4 units sighted). Since you guys are all so wise and seasoned (hehe), I'd like to hear what 'salad' of ground units you guys would land there if you were planning the invasion. A few basic details about the base (which will remain unnamed at this time... heh) has a size 4 AF, 75-100 costal guns, and is on a medium-sized land mass (i.e. not an island, but not a continent either). Also, I don't anticipate any huge counter-attacks since there aren't many other enemy ground forces within any distance to worry about. I'd like to drop on in, fight a few rounds, laugh at a final banzai charge, and then set up shop at the airfield for some medium-bombing and whatnot.
For example, I was thinking of landing the following cast of characters:
1 x USA Inf
1 x USA Cav
1 x USA Arty
1 x EAB
1 x Aviation Rgt
3 x Seebees
Now, I'm sure the above force would probably do alright, but I'm still kindof a rookie here and I'd like to hear other people's strategies and thoughts. [;)]
Just my personal opinion but I try to have at least a 3:1 superiority in combat troops when I invade. I believe my last invasion in the Solomons I sent two Marine Divisions and a Regimental Combat Team into an island that ended up only having a SNLF and an engineer unit. They didn't last long. [:D]
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:07 pm
by derwho
Some very good comments about how to prepare assaults against positions but I'd like to hear your opinions on how to defend!
I'm especially interested in strategy and tactics on how to defend the Gilberts and Marshalls.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:14 am
by ctid98
All I'd like to add is RECON, RECON, RECON!!!!
I'm making my way up the Solomans at the moment, have just landed on Munda and I'm about to send 4 Raider Battalions up to Buin as it seems lightly defended. Intel had it that there was only 1 unit there, but no idea what type of how many. For such a small place no problem, probably a small base force for the Marines to blood themselves on. So I decided I'd send a bombardment TF up to soften them up before landing the troops. Boy am I glad I did that!!! Not because it did a lot of damage but because I have my float planes on battleships set to recon and after a couple of flights the enemy ground troops grew from 1 spotted unit to 6,000 troops, to 10,000 to 12,000!!!!
Unsurprisingly I've re-evaluated the situation and added a combat team to the assault force to give the Marines a bit of backup, plus hitting the base with 4 B-17 groups out of Gili Gili! I'd send in a Marine division but they're prepped for follow one operations at Shortlands which also 'seems' lightly defended..........
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:47 pm
by Cpt.Buckmaster
ORIGINAL: ctid98
All I'd like to add is RECON, RECON, RECON!!!!
I'm making my way up the Solomans at the moment, have just landed on Munda and I'm about to send 4 Raider Battalions up to Buin as it seems lightly defended. Intel had it that there was only 1 unit there, but no idea what type of how many. For such a small place no problem, probably a small base force for the Marines to blood themselves on. So I decided I'd send a bombardment TF up to soften them up before landing the troops. Boy am I glad I did that!!! Not because it did a lot of damage but because I have my float planes on battleships set to recon and after a couple of flights the enemy ground troops grew from 1 spotted unit to 6,000 troops, to 10,000 to 12,000!!!!
Unsurprisingly I've re-evaluated the situation and added a combat team to the assault force to give the Marines a bit of backup, plus hitting the base with 4 B-17 groups out of Gili Gili! I'd send in a Marine division but they're prepped for follow one operations at Shortlands which also 'seems' lightly defended..........
You ain't just whistlin' dixie, bud! Another good point!
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:39 pm
by BraveHome
ORIGINAL: Beezle
You only want units with big assault factors (Inf, Cav and maybe arty) in the intial wave. Have the others sit 1 hex away until the beach is friendly.
Regarding 'sitting one hex away', the manual (that Mantra of Truth) states only ships
unloading
in an assault are targets for coastal fire. So (I'm presuming) you can have the other ships in the same hex (guarded by the escorts!) so long as you have the DO NOT UNLOAD option switched on the initial invasion turn.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:08 am
by pompack
ORIGINAL: BraveHome
ORIGINAL: Beezle
You only want units with big assault factors (Inf, Cav and maybe arty) in the intial wave. Have the others sit 1 hex away until the beach is friendly.
Regarding 'sitting one hex away', the manual (that Mantra of Truth) states only ships
unloading
in an assault are targets for coastal fire. So (I'm presuming) you can have the other ships in the same hex (guarded by the escorts!) so long as you have the DO NOT UNLOAD option switched on the initial invasion turn.
It's been my experience that as long as you have the second echelon set to "follow", it will not unload and doesn't take damage from shore batteries. Switch to destination when the beach is friendly. Only thing to be careful of is if the first echelon finishes unloading before the hex is friendly, the second echelon will just "follow" the first back to base; usually not a problem as long as there are supplies in the first echelon to unload.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:51 pm
by BraveHome
ORIGINAL: pompack
It's been my experience that as long as you have the second echelon set to "follow", it will not unload and doesn't take damage from shore batteries. Switch to destination when the beach is friendly. Only thing to be careful of is if the first echelon finishes unloading before the hex is friendly, the second echelon will just "follow" the first back to base; usually not a problem as long as there are supplies in the first echelon to unload.
Ah! I have not used the 'follow' option much, I will explore its benefits!
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:05 pm
by Mr.Frag
This is where I get scared ... no matter how much I tell you guys that HQ's are a huge bonus, they still get left at home.
Wake up! Free bonus for that extra ship worth of grunts! Take it! [:D]
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:20 pm
by ckk
and don' forget a base force. Aviation rgt. provide av support but base forces bring neat little things like RADAR[8D]
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:15 pm
by RUPD3658
For my initail landing I always use Load troops only. This lets the transports unload faster, epecially under fire. No need to have your transports sunk unloading supplies.
In the second wave I have a base force/avaition reg, engineers, fuel and supply. This is not landed until the beach is secure.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:07 am
by dtravel
ORIGINAL: RUPD3658
For my initail landing I always use Load troops only. This lets the transports unload faster, epecially under fire. No need to have your transports sunk unloading supplies.
In the second wave I have a base force/avaition reg, engineers, fuel and supply. This is not landed until the beach is secure.
Without supplies, don't your troops perform worse?
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:27 am
by tsimmonds
ORIGINAL: dtravel
ORIGINAL: RUPD3658
For my initail landing I always use Load troops only. This lets the transports unload faster, epecially under fire. No need to have your transports sunk unloading supplies.
In the second wave I have a base force/avaition reg, engineers, fuel and supply. This is not landed until the beach is secure.
Without supplies, don't your troops perform worse?
They sure do. I like to send an AK loaded with supplies in with the first wave. That way beans and boys unload together.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:41 am
by BraveHome
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
This is where I get scared ... no matter how much I tell you guys that HQ's are a huge bonus, they still get left at home.
Wake up! Free bonus for that extra ship worth of grunts! Take it! [:D]
Excuse my razor-dull wit, but how did HQs get morphed into this discussion of following?[&:]
I agree though, that having HQs in the inital assault is golden, when you can achieve it.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:57 am
by Mr.Frag
ORIGINAL: RUPD3658
For my initail landing I always use Load troops only. This lets the transports unload faster, epecially under fire. No need to have your transports sunk unloading supplies.
In the second wave I have a base force/avaition reg, engineers, fuel and supply. This is not landed until the beach is secure.
Ship unload speed is not changed at all by having supplies also loaded just so you know.
Having supplies loaded simply means your ships are likely to be docked there a couple of extra turns while they unload slowly. It does not affect troop offload speed one bit.
RE: Amphib Assault
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:59 am
by Mr.Frag
Excuse my razor-dull wit, but how did HQs get morphed into this discussion of following?
He was listing his assault force makeup. I noted there is no HQ in it which is a fairly large bonus being thrown away.
Keep in mind that the HQ *ALSO* affects your defence during those critical first turns while you have not unloaded completely and your troops are hurting giving you better odds of not being pushed back into the sea. [;)]