Page 1 of 1

Saving in the Mega Camp.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 6:24 pm
by Tommy
Guys,

I'm trying my 1st campaign; the new Desert Fox MC. I appears that the only way to do a save is to click the "end the game" button, exit then re-enter the game. That's quite a few mouse clicks just to do an interim save. What am I missing here? I'm from the "Save now & save often" school. I learned this the hard way buy sending my AFV's to check out the wine cellar way to many times with errant mouseclicks!

Tommy

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:09 pm
by Supervisor
Thanks to Mike Wood the MC saves did away with the save now and often capability. This was in effort to make it more challenging and honest. Check the tech forum and older threads on how and why the save feature was created in this manner.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:13 pm
by Tommy
Oh, yes; I agree it's more honest. But until the AFV path finding routine knows better than to drive into buildings - both visible and 'invisible' (due to icon/map problems) is this really wise?

Tommy

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:20 pm
by Supervisor
I agree with you on that point, have you tried waypointing their paths, it might keep them from straying off the beaten path.

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:38 pm
by skukko
Howdy :)

Waypoints can be solution but its complicated one. Its better to go hex or two at first and if that don't fail you can quite safely click a longer 'leg' for your vehicles. Older posts in this spring has more topics of this.

What it comes in to the problem itself: invisible/collapsing hexes, that is more complicated but they have gone thru the check that path is clear. These are created by mistake when either filling map with levels and/ or clicking by right mousebutton. Collapsing hexes are in the middle of the two rightmouseclicks and they seem to be ok, even info tells so. but they can collapse and do damage to vehicles. They also do collapse under barrages. Good point with these immobilizations is that they rarely last longer than turn or two.

Note: If hex looks like collapsed building in the city but you need to go thru somewhere, use your cursor and find hex that cheats your eye and is actually this kinda collapsed hex and is clear to drive thru. ;)

regards: mosh

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 8:57 pm
by Supervisor
Check out Mike Wood's reply to why the save program was done in this way. It really makes sense. http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=005880

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 8:58 pm
by Mike Wood
Hello...

If something terrible happens, like trying to click on a unit and then watching the last selected unit try to move to that hex or seeing your vehicle try to drive through Macy's Department Store, you can always hit Alt-Tab. This will minimize the game. Then hit Control-Alt-Delete and select the game to as the application to close. Then restart the game, load the last save and play the turn over.

This is a lot of trouble to go to, intentionally so. Please try to be careful as you play.

Hope this Helps...

Michael Wood

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 9:32 pm
by cward
I havent tried it, but what about putting a shortcut on the desktop to your save game folder and just making a backup of the save? will that work? what would the filename be?

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 9:37 pm
by Tommy
OK, Mike.

BTW, can you send me an 8x10 photo of yourself that I can mount on my dartboard. The next time my tank plays whack-a-mole with an building, I'll have something to throw my darts at! ;)
Tommy

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:48 pm
by ruxius
eh..eh..eh...
There is a very tiny passage here...I expected posts like these...well in my opinion it's the first time some players are forced to play a battle in a NEW WAY..a real new way..or better : a new way that looks like to appear realistic...
Errors I mean !!
..things that for some reasons do not go as planned..undepending on your personal skill!WAR was full of episodes like this where men killed did not come back again..
So state of mind will change..no more a question of 'points' or 'records' to be scored...but EXPERIENCE OF WAR !
Each saved game deletes the previous one..now you begin to feel that your life
is not a savedgame button anymore...
You and your comrades..your units..will YOU and your men survive the war ?
I am very surprised the programmers had
such a deepness in creating emotions !
(It's my first Megac !)

A real difficult feature to live togheter with mistakes,isn'it ?
It doesn't matter if these errors come from a bug in the program..it's a question of mentality..

Many will not understand this sort of vision..but the programmers dared to do it..

They may say that in this way some parts of the MegaC will never be discovered..
Yes ..then put a switch...
"CLASSICAL SAVED BUTTON :"-ENABLED/DISABLED-
But only the 'disabled' option will award
a final 'honest' score...

Let's try it , for our first time !

Thanks again Mr. Wood !..and one more reason to wait sleepless my MEGACD to arrive !

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 11:16 pm
by cward
Yeah I get teh chaos on the battlefield thing.. but how many times do tank drivers accidentally throw their vehicle into full motion! Screeching through the enemy lines driving over houses and such.. thats teh part that annoys me.. If the undo button worked better I suppose..

I quite often move vehicles I have no intention of moving.. now you are SOL..

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 12:36 am
by Wild Bill
It is NEVER a wise thing to give your tank or other vehicle long distance move orders. It is not.

Not only might you have a building problem, but enemy antitank guns, armor and other disasters may await it along the way.

Running helter skelter at maximum speed into battle can be dangerous for a number of reasons.

I prefer a little caution and movement in slower increments, especially where there might be inherent danger.

I'm glad you are playing the campaign. I hope you are enjoying it.

Wild Bill

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 1:28 am
by Charles2222
Wild Bill:
It is NEVER a wise thing to give your tank or other vehicle long distance move orders. It is not.
OTOH there's this screwup I did my last aborted campaign. Tried to hit the destination icon (new orders), thought I did and proceeded to lay the flag, only problem was that the flag was never hit and my tank went about what I figure was top distance to reach the previously unspotted frontline enemy infantry, where he decided to taunt the enemy (adding a little flavor to the story) only to hit mines and get destroyed. You want to know something really interesting? No unit shot at him on the way there despite his EASILY being seen. Now, I've rarely done the same thing myself, but sometimes when I can tell the AI is destined to hit the mines (go through the hex scatched or unscatched in any case) and I haven't been able to destroy the unit on the way there, if the unit is one hex away from the mine, particularly if it's armmor and things aren't going very well, I won't opfire him anymore because I'm hoping the mines will do the dirty work. Think about it. If one single unit had opfired as the manical AI will, I could've made good on my error, and stopped him well short (there was great visibility with no smoke as well).