Page 1 of 1

Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:25 am
by 2ndACR
Just thought I would let you all know that the disappearing unit bug is still occuring.

Just started a new PBEM game with Ron. Both patched up to 1.3. Turn 1 dropped 1st Para Reg on Lingayan in the PI. Now the unit has completely disappeared.

I just started another game using the same set-up and will try and catch the exact moment it disappears.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:18 am
by Mr.Frag
I assume you are talking about air drop of a para unit into an enemy hex.

What did you use to fly them in? Was there a battle? etc

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:31 am
by 2ndACR
Sorry, yes that is what I am talking about.

On turn 1 I moved the L3Y from Takao to that base near Taan. I set them to air drop the 1st Para Regiment on Lingayan in the PI. Towards the end of the turn they dropped and shock attacked the base. Took control of it. Base was undefended.

Part of the 1st was left on Taan (or the starting base near there). On turn 2 I began moving in all my other forces I had standing off shore. I forgot to re-set the air unit after the drop to standdown. I forgot to check on them after they dropped, so I did not catch when they went poof. It is now around the 17 Dec.

I am going to watch closely for this on a different game I just started against Pzb. I am using the exact same tactic. I will make a different backup for each turn to catch it.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:29 am
by witpqs
Last week I submitted before & after saves of lost units air transported from a friendly base to a friendly base (no paradrop).

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:15 am
by ctid98
Same happened to me, dropped the 1st and 3rd Marine Para onto Munda (a friendly base with no enemy) and only the 3rd made it.

CTID98

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:27 pm
by ETF
Was this not tested? [X(]

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:55 pm
by Mr.Frag
ORIGINAL: ETF

Was this not tested? [X(]

Did YOU test it? [:'(]

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:53 pm
by DFalcon
I have just experianced this problem in a current PBEM game. The unit disappeared when the last portion of it was airlifted to a new base. Additionally all units at the destination base do not display in the footer bar. The other units at the base can be displayed by going to the base information screen and using the all land units button. After selecting a land unit from the list the units display in the footer bar, however the missing unit is not among them. This unit is an engineer unit and I noticed on the base display that the number of enginner squads is higher than the total on the engineers left at the base, as if it is counting the missing unit.

I have not yet recieved the next turn back and bullet profing may catch this. I will post an update when I have the turn. Has any one had missing units pop up again?

The game was started under 1.3 and upgraded in progress to 1.4.

I have my saves prior to and after the occurance if you would like them.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:03 pm
by witpqs
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
ORIGINAL: ETF

Was this not tested? [X(]

Did YOU test it? [:'(]

I thought it was not on the 1.4 fix list?

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:10 am
by DFalcon
After the next turn the engineer unit is still AWOL. The other units at the base display normally now. The base display still shows a higher number of engineers than are at the base, so I still hold out hope for thier return.

The loss of this unit has made me very reluctant to move entire units by air. Am I being paranoid or should I avoid it, any suggestions from the veterans?

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:48 am
by 2ndACR
Try and avoid it if you can. I have had units transported by ship vanish with out a trace before.

For air transport, as long as the unit is listed in 2 places, you are safe. It occurs whenever the 2 halves are re-merged into one.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:34 am
by mlees
Please forgive my dumb question:

I loaded the 2nd UK Division (leaving the HQ as SEA). I use it to invade Majuro. Works fine.

Reloaded division onto the same transports, unloaded division in San Diego (intent was to allow the UK division to gain troop replacements). Unknown to me, while the division was unloading, it disappeared!

After panicing, and cussing, I looked around, and found it on the ground reinforcement screen, due to arrive 45 days out. It was broken into two pieces on the reinforcement screen, I assume because it took two days to offload in San Diego. Is this working as designed?

Are your disappearing units gone from the game for good?

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:58 am
by 2ndACR
That one is a new one on me. Every unit i have ever lost (disappeared) has been gone forever, removed, poof.

The butt kicker is when you have had a unit completely unloaded at a base for about a week and then go to check the base and it has vanished. That one is scary.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:23 am
by DFalcon
In your experiance is it more common with air transport or just luck of the draw?

If its luck of the draw I'll continue with air transport. One can't really avoid moving units around so just have to hope there are not too many desertions.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:11 am
by 2ndACR
Air transport is the worst. I will only use it for a para drop on enemy base or to evacuate a part of a unit.

Everything else goes by ship if possible.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:33 am
by Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Air transport is the worst. I will only use it for a para drop on enemy base or to evacuate a part of a unit.

Everything else goes by ship if possible.

Desperation only for me too.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:21 pm
by Oleg Mastruko
I haven't had disapearing units for a very very very long time (knock on wood), in fact since UV days, but I am pretty sure it happens - at least in case of air transport - when last transport plane, carrying last remnant of the unit, gets destroyed by whatever means.

Check it - whenever you have case of unit disappearing in air transport, check to see whether there were any losses for the type of aircraft that was airlifting them. 149 of 150 squads transported - OK. 150th squad's Dakota gets destroyed - poof whole unit disappears. Game obviously has problems when reuniting that last part with the rest of unit.

O.


O.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:55 pm
by DFalcon
Thanks for the advice guys.

RE: Disappearing Units still Occuring!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:53 pm
by Ron Saueracker
Had a full unit (not fragment) disappear after a failed attack on enemy base. Two successive saves sent to Kid.