Page 1 of 1
another game about Pacific
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:10 pm
by testarossa
Site is in russian so I had to use altavista to get some sence out of it. It is more like PTO
but videos are cool and they have good stuff in history section too.
http://www.steelmonsters.com/Video.htm
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:43 pm
by Thurmonator
Looks really cool...once they translate it from russian.
Seems more based on the flight sim part that the wargame part.
It's tactical real-time combat where you can jump into planes at will. The map part has the entire Pacific theatre (flat map style) with ship icons that you move around to attack certain zones. Then it zooms into the real-time action, and then you can take control of a plane.
Nice graphics. Cool gameplay video. Will we ever see it in NA, prob not. But we'll see.
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:50 pm
by Jim D Burns
My dream game would be WitP with a tactical real time 3D engine to simulate air and naval battles where players could jump in and either watch or participate in the action. Imagine sitting in the airfield tower during a 100 plane bomber raid! [X(]
Or perhaps manning a 40mm mount on a ship under air attack! [:D] Oh well it's nice to dream I guess. I'd pay top dollar for a game like this though, wouldn't you?
Jim
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:48 pm
by testarossa
We'll see, this project looks very promising from our generation point of view[:D]. And Russians like top dollars.
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:11 am
by RayM
For those who remember Microprose's Task Force 1942.
I really enjoyed maneuvering the TF then jumping inside the bridge, the gun director, and a torpedo director to actually fire the ship's guns and torps! Watching the shells arc at night and strike the target was the best part. You could also move from ship to ship as the battle progressed. Lots of fun.
RayM
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:20 am
by pasternakski
ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns
My dream game would be WitP with a tactical real time 3D engine to simulate air and naval battles where players could jump in and either watch or participate in the action. Imagine sitting in the airfield tower during a 100 plane bomber raid! [X(]
Or perhaps manning a 40mm mount on a ship under air attack! [:D] Oh well it's nice to dream I guess. I'd pay top dollar for a game like this though, wouldn't you?
Jim
Well, to each his own, but I wouldn't give you the sweat off my nuts for it.
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:26 am
by Zorfwaddle
Ill work on a translation. "Opisanie" means description, so Ill start there....
George
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:37 am
by Zorfwaddle
This is enough...
Genre of the Game.
Real time strategy with elements of the simulation of military technology.
Time and Place.
From 1940 thru 1948. Sea and air battles of WW2 and during the game, the ability to approximate history and hardware depending on the action of the player.
Participating nations: Japan and the US.
George
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:51 am
by testarossa
OK. here is some more.
Strategic part:
1. Looks like you'll have research and development as in PTO (you can actually design new ships and aircrafts and upgrade existing with new equipment). Kudos to them for that.
2. There are four resourses: iron, alloys, oil, a and something else (i cant get it from video). So looks like it somehow speeds up or slows fown your economy development.
I liked a lot monthly card meeting with war ministers in PTO when I was able to cut myself a huge chunk of GDP.
3. Leaders have four characteristics (cant read from video) with photographs. Troops and crews get experience and loosea bit of it when without action for a long time.
4. there are some stupid zones of control. i didn't get it.
Tactical part:
1. It looks like PTO.
2. You can jump in any unit and get into sim mode.
Sim part:
1. Planes, ships, subs.
a) Planes: standart pilot or gunner. First person view or 3d.
b) Ships: main, secondary and AA guns, torpedos and depth charges. Only 3d person view.
c) Subs: Periscope view, 3d person view, and some kind "active map" mode. No clue here.
Now. Looks like it is in eraly stages of Development and they don't have Western publisher yet.
So may be Matrix Games will pick them up, development costs are pretty low in Russia. Frag, Mogamy, anyone?
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:55 am
by pasternakski
If this game is anything like what you describe, Matrix picking it up for development will end my customer relationship with Matrix forevermore.
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:13 am
by testarossa
ORIGINAL: pasternakski
If this game is anything like what you describe, Matrix picking it up for development will end my customer relationship with Matrix forevermore.
Why?[X(] It is not a question of development, but publishing, as WITP was developed by "2 by 3" and published by Matrix games. And if it is not up to your standards for wargames, just pass on it, many other gamers would appriciate more freedom in the gameplay if even it is not historically correct. We don't buy historical wargames to just recreate the past but rather change it to our liking while having fun, right?
It is not like i care if Matrix will publish this title or not, but rather my humble care about developers like Matrix publishing something which allowes them to keep publish games like WITP.
I don't want in couple of years to be forced to buy XBOX2 to play something like HALO 3 or GTA 4, because nobody makes PC games anymore.
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:05 am
by Mr.Frag
I don't want in couple of years to be forced to buy XBOX2 to play something like HALO 3 or GTA 4, because nobody makes PC games anymore.
I too have watched the end of PC gaming. I used to get a couple of new games every month without fail. This trend has been a downwards spiral over the last few years to the point that I am lucky to find 1 every other month. Sad but true, too many problems developing software in the PC world. Consoles are so much simpler as you write 1 thing and it works 100% of the time on every single machine ever built.
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:47 am
by ChezDaJez
I wonder if this is the Pacific addition to IL-2 Sturmovic. I heard they are coming out with this in the not too distant future.
Jan 2005 PC Gamer magazine has an article on it. Game is called Pacific Fighters.
Chez
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:48 am
by ChezDaJez
That's obviously NOT Pacific Fighters. Guess I was wrong.
Chez
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:55 am
by Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: pasternakski
If this game is anything like what you describe, Matrix picking it up for development will end my customer relationship with Matrix forevermore.
Looks pretty bad. Very toylike.
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:33 pm
by tsimmonds
I too have watched the end of PC gaming. I used to get a couple of new games every month without fail. This trend has been a downwards spiral over the last few years to the point that I am lucky to find 1 every other month. Sad but true, too many problems developing software in the PC world. Consoles are so much simpler as you write 1 thing and it works 100% of the time on every single machine ever built.
I was pleased when a game shop opened in a strip mall a couple of blocks from where I work. Walked over there right after it opened, and I was shocked to find that they had no PC games in stock whatsoever, zero, none. Very disturbing.
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:12 pm
by Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: irrelevant
I too have watched the end of PC gaming. I used to get a couple of new games every month without fail. This trend has been a downwards spiral over the last few years to the point that I am lucky to find 1 every other month. Sad but true, too many problems developing software in the PC world. Consoles are so much simpler as you write 1 thing and it works 100% of the time on every single machine ever built.
I was pleased when a game shop opened in a strip mall a couple of blocks from where I work. Walked over there right after it opened, and I was shocked to find that they had no PC games in stock whatsoever, zero, none. Very disturbing.
Like most media businesses, like radio and television, a few big big guys end up setting the tone and "deciding" for us as to what we like by limiting it to products they deem "popular" or the "wave ofthe future." Unfortunately this consumer programming works. Why else would "Friends" and Hip Hop be popular?[:(]
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:30 pm
by Zorfwaddle
All in all, it looks like a modern version of those RTS's where the map is divided into zones, then the tactical stuff takes place in those zones. The map covers the same area as the WITP map. Your research apparently can enable you to research all the way up to cruise and ballistic missiles. I dont play RTS's, so I definetly would be interested in purchasing this game <<shrug>>
George
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:19 pm
by testarossa
ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
That's obviously NOT Pacific Fighters. Guess I was wrong.
Chez
Yea I already have PF.
RE: another game about Pacific
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:21 pm
by testarossa
ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: pasternakski
If this game is anything like what you describe, Matrix picking it up for development will end my customer relationship with Matrix forevermore.
Looks pretty bad. Very toylike.
Not bad. Just different. Don't be xenofobic. I remember my first try of chinese food. I thought I'm going to die. Third time it was O.K.