Page 1 of 1
800X600
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:46 am
by Duie1
Maybe im missing this but is there anyway to change the res in this game to something that is easier to see Or does anyone have some art that makes the map Icons larger ?
thanks in advance
RE: 800X600
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:49 am
by testarossa
No you cant change it. Check spookie for art but the main killer is the size of the font.
RE: 800X600
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:49 pm
by The Gnome
There is a post in the support forum (use the search link and use 'font' as criteria) that shows how to install an alternate Times New Roman font. The problem is the TNR is a serif font and is very hard on the eyes.
I tried the solution found in that thread and it worked like a charm. The only down side is you lose access to the Times New Roman font, which isn't really that big a deal.
RE: 800X600
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:35 pm
by neuromancer
Don't do that. You'll mess up your system fonts, TNR is a common one.
Mr Frag has instructions for changing it inside the game itself (need a hex editor). As he says, this is unsupported, and as Testarossa indicates, it messes things up visiually, but it may make reading the font easier.
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But it sounds like you are as stuck as me.
Check out this thread:
1.40 fixes
You'll need to scroll down to near the bottom of the first page to find Mr. Frag's post.
RE: 800X600
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:45 pm
by testarossa
Frag's method works great. But i'm using stock TNR font now, after trying something like 20 different ones. As i posted before they've chosen TNR for a reason, as it is a part of the GUI. In order to change font they'll need to redisign GUI. And than some people will start complaining about new font. So i guess will have to buy 21 inch monitors or do laser surgery.
RE: 800X600
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:13 pm
by The Gnome
ORIGINAL: neuromancer
Don't do that. You'll mess up your system fonts, TNR is a common one.
Mr Frag has instructions for changing it inside the game itself (need a hex editor). As he says, this is unsupported, and as Testarossa indicates, it messes things up visiually, but it may make reading the font easier.
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But it sounds like you are as stuck as me.
Check out this thread:
1.40 fixes
You'll need to scroll down to near the bottom of the first page to find Mr. Frag's post.
I haven't noticed the slightest problem, except for certain webpages that use default serif fonts. I'm quite happy with the change - and if you make a backup per the instructions you always can change it back if there's a problem.
Edit Note: If you know what you're doing with your system you probably already know if you need TNR or not - you probably don't. If you're unsure well... I doubt you'll be able to hex edit as well.
RE: 800X600
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:53 pm
by neuromancer
ORIGINAL: The Gnome
Edit Note: If you know what you're doing with your system you probably already know if you need TNR or not - you probably don't. If you're unsure well... I doubt you'll be able to hex edit as well.
If you can do without TNR, more power to you, but don't make sweeping statements like 'if you don't know if you need TNR or not, you obviously couldn't handle a hex editor'. Makes you sound like a jerk, or like you are trying to bait people.
I personally
like TNR (usually, as long as it is at a decent point size) and so use it in things. Like Word Processors and email. And lo and behold, I used to program in Assembler (I liked assembler, it was such a simple and straightforward language, rather wordy - being so simple - but elegant).
Sadly these days nobody uses Assembler. Probably be a bear to program large programs in anyway. Still, one can be nostalgic.
RE: 800X600
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:57 pm
by testarossa
ORIGINAL: The Gnome
I haven't noticed the slightest problem, except for certain webpages that use default serif fonts. I'm quite happy with the change - and if you make a backup per the instructions you always can change it back if there's a problem.
Is it possible to rename modified TNR into somethinge else and then edit WITP to use this modified font?
RE: 800X600
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:25 pm
by The Gnome
If you can do without TNR, more power to you, but don't make sweeping statements like 'if you don't know if you need TNR or not, you obviously couldn't handle a hex editor'. Makes you sound like a jerk, or like you are trying to bait people.
The same could be said for 'Don't do that. You'll mess up your system fonts...' makes you seem like a swell guy too. Maybe you should check the tone of your own posts first.
RE: 800X600
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:33 pm
by The Gnome
ORIGINAL: testarossa
Is it possible to rename modified TNR into somethinge else and then edit WITP to use this modified font?
I think the file gets labeled interally to TNR, so I don't think renaming the file will help, but I didn't try it. Just make sure you back up the original and tuck it away someplace safe.
RE: 800X600
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:21 pm
by watchtower
ORIGINAL: testarossa
No you cant change it. Check spookie for art but the main killer is the size of the font.
And the button size - it's been the same since BOB - no need for such small buttons!!! (RSI suite to follow in about five years!!)
RE: 800X600
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:46 pm
by testarossa
I'm taking 2 CDs of fonts from work. This evening I'll check which font is the best, he-he.
Off topic: Ooo yes, and trafic is so much better these days thanks to Santa[:D].
RE: 800X600
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:18 am
by testarossa
No luck. i give up. Anything even remotely good on map is screwing up info menues.

RE: 800X600
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:19 am
by testarossa
And here it is.

RE: 800X600
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:20 pm
by Duie1
If someone was able to resize the map to a 800X600 setting, all else should Fix itself . Sigh If I only knew how to do more wit these High Fangdangled contraptions than to just play games with them, Id do it

RE: 800X600
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:34 pm
by testarossa
ORIGINAL: Duie1
If someone was able to resize the map to a 800X600 setting, all else should Fix itself . Sigh If I only knew how to do more wit these High Fangdangled contraptions than to just play games with them, Id do it
This is somehow hardcoded. In windowed mode I wasn't able to resize the window either. Which is the most basic operation you can do in Windows. WITP keeps 1024x768 no matter what. That's the result of resizing in windowed mode.

RE: 800X600
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:58 pm
by Ron Saueracker
My eyes are a mess, I'm rather near sighted but glasses/comtacts work very well. I've had noooo problem with the stock art.
RE: 800X600
Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:55 am
by 33Vyper
ya know....maybe its just me....but why did they not make the maps scaleable<sp?> So you could zoom in and out?
RE: 800X600
Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:00 pm
by testarossa
Neither had I. i use Georgia font - same as TNR, but a bit wider.