Page 1 of 1
BANZAI
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:14 am
by tracer
Haven't seen this one mentioned before: I just did a melee against a Japanese gun crew and the first message box that popped up read 'BANZAI!BANZAI!BANZAI!' (different sound too). For a split second all those Superhuman-Crew threads flashed thru my head, but they were wiped out.
Anyone else come across this?
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:24 am
by murr
Is it possible the jap gun crew can melee back at the same time you attack ?
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:51 am
by Warrior
The Banzai is a true thing. If you listen, you can hear them shout it while they attack your melee.
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:53 am
by David Heath
What you saw happen was a Japanese Banzi attack or counter attack. There is alway a small chance that when you melee a Jap or Soviet unit that it will flip out and attack you.
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 9:04 am
by Paul Vebber
Other countries can have it occur too - its called Berserk for them.
This means they melee first and you melee back with the survivors, rather than it being simulataeous. TH eopposite of "enemy cowers" where you get to melee first and the enemy only fights back with the survivors (and often surrenders)
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:08 pm
by DataKing
Greetings and salutations,
I have encountered the "Berzerk" message that was just mentioned. During an advance mission against tbe Poles my SS Infantry were involved in some ugly forest-fighting. A polish infantry squad went "Berserk" and attacked one of my rifle squads. Fortunately, they were repulsed (Amen for the MG34). I didn't want to see what sort of carnage 19 berserked Poles could inflict on my with bayonets.
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 9:29 pm
by General Mayhem
Originally posted by tracer:
Haven't seen this one mentioned before: I just did a melee against a Japanese gun crew and the first message box that popped up read 'BANZAI!BANZAI!BANZAI!' (different sound too). For a split second all those Superhuman-Crew threads flashed thru my head, but they were wiped out.
Anyone else come across this?
I did. Infact my U.S. Army did somewhat
melee/overrun one hill where I got in short time few of them. I don't know how banzai comes actually, but there was some heavy fighting on that hill(a meeting engagement), both sides pouring lot of steel there from sky and fighting for each inch.
I've also seem berserk few times in non Pacific battles. However, I don't feel either makes any diffrence.
To my troops greatest damage has come from normal melee that just doesn't work well for
reason or another.
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 7:12 am
by tracer
Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
Other countries can have it occur too - its called Berserk for them.
This means they melee first and you melee back with the survivors, rather than it being simulataeous. TH eopposite of "enemy cowers" where you get to melee first and the enemy only fights back with the survivors (and often surrenders)
Hmmm, thats something to keep in mind: now I won't assume I have an automatic advantage by initiating a melee.
FWIW I thought I heard 'Banzai' but dismissed it. For a split second I was worried that after so many revisions SPWAW had 'grown' its own AI (like HAL in 2001) and was making up new messages and sounds on the fly.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 7:25 am
by tracer
Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
Other countries can have it occur too - its called Berserk for them.
I remember an AH board game I had ('Third Reich', in 1978 or so) that had unit pieces for 'berserk' Russian troops. I recall that the manual said that when a unit went berserk it ignored supression as well as orders.