Page 1 of 1
Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:08 am
by fbastos
Russo-Japanese War.
Very impressive, and very pretty too. Too bad it feels a lot like Great Naval Battles, and it doesn't have a campaign mode. Don't think I'm going to buy it without a campaign mode.
Everybody is moving from hexes to 3D... duh...
F.

RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:42 pm
by Genisis
Looks like an old Peter Turcan game "Jutland" ?
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:55 pm
by ZonkerHarris
I'll be buying this one. For those of you who haven't been following it on Koger's web page (located here:
http://home.austin.rr.com/normkoger/RJW.html ), the latest status rerport says:
Tentative release "Real Soon Now"
Development Notes
For those who've been waiting, things should start moving soon. I still can't really discuss details, except to say that we've pushed the operational / campaign side of the game (discussed at length below) off to an expansion. Our initial release will focus on the major battles at a tactical level. Something big had to be delayed to make development time for multiplayer functionality in the game, a feature I've finally become convinced is absolutely essential in today's market. Instead of the usual industry solution of shortchanging the "AI" on the theory that it isn't really all that important in a multiplayer capable game, we decided to delay completion the operational module instead. I still think the future of the game hinges strongly on the campaign feature. It is in development, and is pretty far along. Expect it to become available as an expansion shortly after the game is released.
I'll wind up paying extra for the campaign expansion, but so it goes in the market these days.
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:06 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: fbastos
Russo-Japanese War.
Very impressive, and very pretty too. Too bad it feels a lot like Great Naval Battles, and it doesn't have a campaign mode. Don't think I'm going to buy it without a campaign mode.
Everybody is moving from hexes to 3D... duh...
F.
When I first posted info (and URL and pics) about this game many many months ago I was told that this was considered to be "very very light simulation lacking depth and not meant for Grognards"...
Leo "Apollo11"
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:56 pm
by Sneer
very deep naval simulation also with campaign mode but with poor graphics is available as Raiders operations - or now Strategic Naval Gunnery operations- I was a beta for quite long so I know this from inside.
The main problem is that you join club not buy game (100$ unfortunately) and are on mercy of main designer who is at least "strange" and humorous person
don't remember website adres check title in googles if interested
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:43 pm
by pad152
Well I was very interested in this game but now it sounds like its going mulitplayer(no AI?) vs operational/campaign[:(]. I'll wait for the expansion.
A remake of Great Naval Battles wouldn't be a bad idea (think Action Stations in 3D with campaigns[:)]). There has been a real lack of naval games sense the death of Harpoon IV.
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:22 pm
by kgsan
For what its worth, I did not read him as saying that there is no AI in the game, but that, rather than short change AI, they are focusing on tactical at this stage and will tackle operational campaign in a possible follow up. However, like some of the others here, I am more interested in an operational campaign than a tactical simulation.
ORIGINAL: pad152
Well I was very interested in this game but now it sounds like its going mulitplayer(no AI?) vs operational/campaign[:(]. I'll wait for the expansion.
A remake of Great Naval Battles wouldn't be a bad idea (think Action Stations in 3D with campaigns[:)]). There has been a real lack of naval games sense the death of Harpoon IV.
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:12 pm
by Mr.Frag
Go get Harpoon III, the only thing it is missing right now is Multiplayer.
I doubt anything else is going to come along and rival it anytime soon.
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:25 pm
by witpqs
Mr. Frag,
One thing about the Harpoon III interface that really annoys me is the mouse cursor movement. It is incredibly slower than in windows, meaning that you have to move the mouse much further to get the same cursor movement. It's like going back to old DOS use of a mouse (basically I guess that is what's happening).
Do you just put up with this or have you found some trick/drivers/whatever to modify the mouse cursor movement?
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:50 pm
by ancient doctor
Russo-Japanese warfare is one of the most interesting but also most forgotten(game terms).Now it seems that it will be only naval battles or it will include land warfare?
P.S.1 BTW fbastos i like the... boobs,erh i mena your avatar.[:D]
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:40 pm
by Veldor
ORIGINAL: fbastos
Everybody is moving from hexes to 3D... duh...
Not "Everybody". Lets not forget many of the Matrix 2D Developers and other Developers like ME
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
There has been a real lack of naval games sense the death of Harpoon IV.
Check out
http://www.coldwarfleet.com , there isn't too much info on the website right now but that is changing fast as we've given in to all the pressure to share everything and have started to do so with each title one by one. There is also a survey we've been conducting for awhile on this game title which has received a large amount of responses, though we are still interested in receiving even more surveys and feedback.
You can also signup at the new forums (nearing only 2 days old) for discussion at
http://www.mnemonicgames.com/forums .
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:21 pm
by RBWhite
Well, Well
Maybe Mr. Kroger would also be inclinded too remake Age Of Rifles, being that he won't release any of the source codes.
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:51 pm
by Hanal
I would rather have seen this title as a turn based campaign covering all aspects of the Russo-Japanese War and not just an RTS naval campaign....guess I'll have to see if the SC2 editor can be used to create one....
RE: Norm Kroger's new game
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:08 pm
by RBWhite
The only RTS Naval Simulation that I thought was enjoyable and challenging was Jane's Fleet Command.
But I agree with Veldor, I would prefer a 2D turn based Naval Simulation.
I've been peeking over at Mnemonic Games, at Cold War Fleet.
Veldor, lets us know when Cold War Fleet starts coming together.
I'll keep checking periodically, the games features sound good.