Page 1 of 2
Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:19 pm
by Mynok
Cute little new feature the auto-base capture. Anyone else discovered it? Conquer a base and the empty bases/dots nearby start falling automatically during turn runs from time to time?
Well it's not so fun when it's Rangoon and your air force is all in Malaya taking Singapore. I'll stay at Tavoy next time. [8|]
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:22 pm
by BlackVoid
I love it. I was concerned that I will have to occupy every tiny speck on the map.
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:49 pm
by von Murrin
Yep, nice feature. I think the only thing that like it more than me is the AI.[:D]
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:29 am
by witpqs
I'm uncertain but I think it only works with places you originally owned. Anybody know for sure?
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:36 am
by Tankerace
Nope, its any base. In my game the Japs landed in the Solomons, and the little dot bases began to auto-convert.
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:43 am
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Tankerace
Nope, its any base. In my game the Japs landed in the Solomons, and the little dot bases began to auto-convert.
Oh - so that's what is happening! I keep getting these little messages like "XXX is occupied by Japan."
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:21 am
by Xargun
To avoid this all you need is to keep any unit in a base - any unit at all will prevent auto capture. So don't leave important bases unoccupied, or while you are retreating to it, it might change hands and wham... your stuck with no supply trail.
Xargun
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:12 am
by wobbly
Can the allies do the same thing?
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:28 am
by scout1
Question is .........
1) Is this an intended feature (can hapen under the right circumstances) or ...
2) Is it a Bug ?
Frag/Mogami, If a bug, I've got files for you where I got the base next to Lae for "free"
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:47 am
by Mr.Frag
Hmm, guess you'd like that one in the manual eh?
Not sure where that rule went, but it is a legit rule.
Empty bases will fall to occupied bases within range. It's a random role ...
Morale of the story, protect what you want to keep.
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:49 am
by 33Vyper
Ya know...I thought I was going crazy the first time I saw this. Then I thought I was not paying attention enough. Finally I detirmined that it must be bug...but I really liked it so I did not complain about it. [X(]
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:51 am
by mlees
ORIGINAL: 33Vyper
Ya know...I thought I was going crazy the first time I saw this. Then I thought I was not paying attention enough. Finally I detirmined that it must be bug...but I really liked it so I did not complain about it. [X(]
[:D]That's funny. I assumed that this was by design!
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:03 am
by scout1
Empty bases will fall to occupied bases within range. It's a random role ...
OK, Frag, I'll bite .....
Just what or how is "within range" computed for the various units ? 1, 2, 5 hexes ?
Is it a function of assult values, HQ's, phases of the moon ........
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:21 pm
by Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Hmm, guess you'd like that one in the manual eh?
Not sure where that rule went, but it is a legit rule.
Empty bases will fall to occupied bases within range. It's a random role ...
Morale of the story, protect what you want to keep.
See, I like this kinda stuff. Artificially keeps players honest.[:)]
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:31 pm
by tanker4145
So far I like the rule but would like to know more about it. Is it only hexes adjacent to enemy hexes? What does it take for it to be possible?
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:33 pm
by MikeH1952
Seems to happen to me only to adjacent bases and happens more quickly with larger occupation forces. Never seen it happen in any truly random way.
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:40 pm
by 2Stepper
I think the operative phrase here is "You keep what you kill". Quotable quote from a campy but fun sci-fi movie.
I guess the only curiousity question I have is in this auto control step is do the opponents have to "attack" every blank hex to take it? Or is the auto control feature work both ways?
Regardless, its still an interesting approach which I'm rather fond of. [8D]
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:47 pm
by Mr.Frag
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:28 pm
by WhoCares
Another interresting fact about this is, that bases will even swap when the empty base is between opposing bases. I had bases swap to my side (Japan) while there was an allied base with troops another hex away.
Generally a very helpful feature in the PI. But I am still waiting for this base north of Baker Is. to swap, after ~8 month...
RE: Grrrrrr..........
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:20 pm
by byron13
I'd rather not know what the rule is. By knowing the rule, I'm gaming the system. "I know I have to man this base, but I can leave that one vacant because the enemy never sends raiding forces more than 120/180/240 miles from his nearest base." Real life commanders did not have absolutes on which to base decisions. If I want to keep the base, whether in the game or in real life, I'd better garrison the d*amned thing.