Rants and Raves about 6.0 and the MC
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 11:53 pm
First about the new version (6.0)
The good:
1. The best version of SP I've ever played!
2. The infantry balance is just about perfect! I've seen whole squads cut down crossing open fields, while sometimes you just have to get in there and slug it out by meleeing if you don't want to sit back and do it 1 casualty at a time.
3. Infantry isn't totally invunerable in the rough stuff anymore.
The bad:
1.I still wonder at those high-profile artillery and AA guns that seem so hard to kill. If I get within 50 meters of a 25 pdr, you dang straight I'm going to put a 37 mm round right through that gun shield. IMO, once you spot and start shooting at larger field guns up close (like the 88 and 105's), they shouldn't be that hard to kill or at least drive the crew off.
2.Sometimes the spotting rules still get to me. If I have an entire task force looking for two crew members, don't you think someone would find them? I used several recon units to look for an AT gun crew, never found them, and had them reman the gun and blow up four vehicles the next turn! It's even worse when I surround a unit, and even though they only fire at one unit, everyone loses sight of them. I understand the hunter-deer principle, but come on! Sometimes it's still ridiculous.
Second, the MC
The good:
1. The scenarios are quite challenging! Sometimes a little too much! They're all interesting with quite a few surprises.
2. The sheer volume of information is wonderful. I love finally having some real intel to read before battle!
The bad:
1. Sometimes it seems like there is only one way to solve some scenarios without heavy losses, and the game devolves into you trying to find it.
2. There seems to be some problems with unit names carrying over. Lots of times, I get blank names for units that I lost in the previous scenario or duplicate ones.
3. I don't know about you, but not handling any upgrades or repairs after battle or even seeing all my units every scenario has killed my old "family" feeling about my units. Of course, it may just take some getting used to.
4. The new style of saving games. With the way it's set up, you can't save at critical junctures in scenario choosing. I hate that- a lot. Maybe you should be allowed to switch back to the regular setting or something.
Please, comments are wanted and welcome.
The good:
1. The best version of SP I've ever played!
2. The infantry balance is just about perfect! I've seen whole squads cut down crossing open fields, while sometimes you just have to get in there and slug it out by meleeing if you don't want to sit back and do it 1 casualty at a time.
3. Infantry isn't totally invunerable in the rough stuff anymore.
The bad:
1.I still wonder at those high-profile artillery and AA guns that seem so hard to kill. If I get within 50 meters of a 25 pdr, you dang straight I'm going to put a 37 mm round right through that gun shield. IMO, once you spot and start shooting at larger field guns up close (like the 88 and 105's), they shouldn't be that hard to kill or at least drive the crew off.
2.Sometimes the spotting rules still get to me. If I have an entire task force looking for two crew members, don't you think someone would find them? I used several recon units to look for an AT gun crew, never found them, and had them reman the gun and blow up four vehicles the next turn! It's even worse when I surround a unit, and even though they only fire at one unit, everyone loses sight of them. I understand the hunter-deer principle, but come on! Sometimes it's still ridiculous.
Second, the MC
The good:
1. The scenarios are quite challenging! Sometimes a little too much! They're all interesting with quite a few surprises.
2. The sheer volume of information is wonderful. I love finally having some real intel to read before battle!
The bad:
1. Sometimes it seems like there is only one way to solve some scenarios without heavy losses, and the game devolves into you trying to find it.
2. There seems to be some problems with unit names carrying over. Lots of times, I get blank names for units that I lost in the previous scenario or duplicate ones.
3. I don't know about you, but not handling any upgrades or repairs after battle or even seeing all my units every scenario has killed my old "family" feeling about my units. Of course, it may just take some getting used to.
4. The new style of saving games. With the way it's set up, you can't save at critical junctures in scenario choosing. I hate that- a lot. Maybe you should be allowed to switch back to the regular setting or something.
Please, comments are wanted and welcome.