The Lone Programmer Paradigm
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:25 pm
Hi,
A couple of people on this forum - myself included - have indicated
that at some point or other they either entertained the notion of
making a computer wargame or even actually started a project. These all
start of great and then get stuck in the mud somewhere. Why ?
Well, I can't speak for the others, but for me at some point it stops
being fun and it becomes work. Some will say that it's a character flaw
- not finishing stuff you start and all that - but I don't think that's
the case. I've got over a dozen finished private projects up at my
website to attest to that.
It's not technical difficulties either, no wall I've run into, it's
even not the sheer size of the project which was quite modest compared
to the stuff I do for a living. And even smaller than some projects I
did finish.
No, what I've found out - rather recently I'm ashamed to say - is that
designing a computer wargame is teamwork. Not only does it require
people with different talents (graphics, game design, programming,
business, ...) but it also requires a constant feedback/bouncing back
of ideas and for this your best bet to finish the project is a small
team whose members mutually support each other both mentally and
technically.
So what about the Lone Programmer paradigm - the Norm Koger, Gary
Grigsby, John Tiller, Hubert Cater type of guy. Well, the paradigm is
wrong. Just take a look at the credits list for any game of the guys
mentioned above - it's long - unexpectedly long sometimes. Wargames -
even the ones we think were solo-projects - that made it to market were
*all* made by teams.
Ok - now all this begs the question : how to get yourself a team ?
You might try the "help wanted" forum at http://www.gamedev.net - it's
quiet full and lively and ideal if you want to make a FPS, RPG or any
other of the more popular gametypes but for a wargame designer it's
pretty much useless. But the format is right : it's a market with
musicians offering to make original scores, some graphically challenged
programmer asking for a low-polycount 3D model of a car, teams forming,
feedback on "the teams that made it", etc. Great stuff.
So this leaves the final question unanswered : why don't any of the
popular wargame forums out there have a forum dedicated to "wargame
design / help wanted" ? Must be something I missed, but what is it ?
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
A couple of people on this forum - myself included - have indicated
that at some point or other they either entertained the notion of
making a computer wargame or even actually started a project. These all
start of great and then get stuck in the mud somewhere. Why ?
Well, I can't speak for the others, but for me at some point it stops
being fun and it becomes work. Some will say that it's a character flaw
- not finishing stuff you start and all that - but I don't think that's
the case. I've got over a dozen finished private projects up at my
website to attest to that.
It's not technical difficulties either, no wall I've run into, it's
even not the sheer size of the project which was quite modest compared
to the stuff I do for a living. And even smaller than some projects I
did finish.
No, what I've found out - rather recently I'm ashamed to say - is that
designing a computer wargame is teamwork. Not only does it require
people with different talents (graphics, game design, programming,
business, ...) but it also requires a constant feedback/bouncing back
of ideas and for this your best bet to finish the project is a small
team whose members mutually support each other both mentally and
technically.
So what about the Lone Programmer paradigm - the Norm Koger, Gary
Grigsby, John Tiller, Hubert Cater type of guy. Well, the paradigm is
wrong. Just take a look at the credits list for any game of the guys
mentioned above - it's long - unexpectedly long sometimes. Wargames -
even the ones we think were solo-projects - that made it to market were
*all* made by teams.
Ok - now all this begs the question : how to get yourself a team ?
You might try the "help wanted" forum at http://www.gamedev.net - it's
quiet full and lively and ideal if you want to make a FPS, RPG or any
other of the more popular gametypes but for a wargame designer it's
pretty much useless. But the format is right : it's a market with
musicians offering to make original scores, some graphically challenged
programmer asking for a low-polycount 3D model of a car, teams forming,
feedback on "the teams that made it", etc. Great stuff.
So this leaves the final question unanswered : why don't any of the
popular wargame forums out there have a forum dedicated to "wargame
design / help wanted" ? Must be something I missed, but what is it ?
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx