Page 1 of 1

Noob help

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:38 am
by Liberty
I downloaded and installed spwaw 8.2, patched to 8.3. When i try to play i get the start screen, and when i click to play a game a black boxs starts to open then i get a program is haveing problems and needs to close box.My comp is a HP pavilion 502n. I run windows xp sp2.It has a 1.3 ghz celeron ,128 mb ram,chipset is i810e.All i know so far about the motherboard is its made by trigem.Any help would be greatly apprecieated.

RE: Noob help

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:42 pm
by RBWhite
liberty

First try making a short cut on the desktop to Mech.exe in the Steel Panthers directory & try starting the game from there.

You also maybe boarder line with 128 meg. of ram. SPWAW is a system resourses hog.

Your motherboard in this case probly is not at issue.

Rick White

RE: Noob help

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:40 pm
by Voriax
Or just try 'quick start' from spwaw start menu, it points directly to mech.exe. [:'(]

You motherboard actually may be the culprit. Do you have DirectX9 installed? DX9 is a requirement for spwaw. Intel's 810 is an old chipset and it may lack proper support these days.

Voriax

RE: Noob help

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:28 pm
by RBWhite
Voriax

I'm running SPWAW 8.30 on a machine with an ASUS motherboard with an Intel chipset older than 810.

RE: Noob help

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:18 pm
by Voriax
RBWhite, guess you can count yourself lucky [:D]

However, I've seen more than one game faq that report problems with various older Intel chipsets, including 810. They are usually related to lack of proper DirectX support.


Voriax

RE: Noob help

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:23 pm
by RBWhite
But of coarse I'm not using the onboard video.

I'm using an old 3dfx video card.

RE: Noob help

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:35 pm
by Liberty
I got it to work from the quick start...thanks for the help all:)