Page 1 of 1

Airplane max. penetration

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:25 pm
by Gavris Narcis
Hi everybody !

2 problems.

1. I write on forum a few weeks ago to ask some question about introduction on Romania air section the bombers airplane which participated on WWII and I received the general answer that it isn't the case for this because this planes were already introduced under the section ''three medium bombers'' or ''six medium bombers''. O.K. The concept is excellent. But searching other country I found many airplanes type which have bombs (50 kg, 120 kg oe even 250+ !). How to understand this ? I guess the idea is that the first ones were Level Bombers without diving features, which only bombard enemy from orizontal pozition, and the second ones were dive bombers !

2. Take an example. Germany Me 410A-1 airplane. Altough have 250 kg bombs, 2cm MG 151 and 7,92 mm MG 17, at max. penetration is 0 !!! Despite the Henschel Hs 123 who have only 50 kg bombs and 7,92 mm MG 15 at max penetration is 12 or Bf 110-D2 who have the same armament but at max. penetration is 25 !!!! On how depend that max penetration ? On bombs weight ?

Thanks,

Leo.

P.S. Please, no jokes.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:39 pm
by sven
Originally posted by Gavris Narcis:
Hi everybody !

2 problems.

1. I write on forum a few weeks ago to ask some question about introduction on Romania air section the bombers airplane which participated on WWII and I received the general answer that it isn't the case for this because this planes were already introduced under the section ''three medium bombers'' or ''six medium bombers''. O.K. The concept is excellent. But searching other country I found many airplanes type which have bombs (50 kg, 120 kg oe even 250+ !). How to understand this ? I guess the idea is that the first ones were Level Bombers without diving features, which only bombard enemy from orizontal pozition, and the second ones were dive bombers !

2. Take an example. Germany Me 410A-1 airplane. Altough have 250 kg bombs, 2cm MG 151 and 7,92 mm MG 17, at max. penetration is 0 !!! Despite the Henschel Hs 123 who have only 50 kg bombs and 7,92 mm MG 15 at max penetration is 12 or Bf 110-D2 who have the same armament but at max. penetration is 25 !!!! On how depend that max penetration ? On bombs weight ?

Thanks,

Leo.

P.S. Please, no jokes.
Gavris these types of errors are at the heart of what the tiger team is investigating. We are attempting to document and change errors.

regards,
sven

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:57 pm
by Charles2222
A small thought here. I believe the max penetration is ONLY for any AP type guns on the plane, while the bombs AP effects go unlisted. I know the ME110 had one or more cannons. The Gerry planes may not be perfect right now, but they're far better than they used to be. You used to not be able to penetrate a fly even with the 75mm cannon! A zero number for max would merely mean that they have no AP cannon onboard.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:04 pm
by sven
Originally posted by Charles_22:
A small thought here. I believe the max penetration is ONLY for any AP type guns on the plane, while the bombs AP effects go unlisted. I know the ME110 had one or more cannons. The Gerry planes may not be perfect right now, but they're far better than they used to be. You used to not be able to penetrate a fly even with the 75mm cannon! A zero number for max would merely mean that they have no AP cannon onboard.
Precisely I plan to visit the Air Force museum when I go back to my home town and look at the records and documents.

regards,
sven

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:34 pm
by Voriax
Hello Leo

1: You got the general idea about aircrafts...the aircrafts that were used primarily as level bombers were removed and the 2/4/6 medium bombers units created.
The specific aircraft you see now in the oob are supposed to be such types that were often/mainly used in ground attack duties.
There is nothing that prevents them having bombs as armament.

2: Well..Paul has mentioned before that all aircraft weapons are handled differently than other weapons...the penetration models and figures are different. So you cannot use similar penetration values for a 37mm gun in aircraft as you use for the same gun as 37mm PaK.
How the penetration values are determined, I do not know. Hopefully some better informed people will step in and clarify.

Voriax

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 6:07 am
by monsternav
I have noticed that SPWaW only lists the weapon in slot 1 for that max penetration stat listed. If you go to the encyclopedia you can see the penetration values for second and subsequent weapons. As this game was first and foremost a tank game when designed (SP1), it was probably thought good enough, as tanks always had their main gun listed first. :cool: