Page 1 of 2

Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:40 pm
by Brady
???







Image

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:43 pm
by Tankerace
Destroyer in fore ground only has 4 turrets, and with those funnels I'd say Mahan class,

Cruiser in background is definate Atlanta class (with a mahan, too early to be an Oakland class.

With all those people standing on the destroyer, I wonder if it is after one of the Guadalcanal disasters, like Savo Island or what not.

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:56 pm
by Tiornu
Am I correct that the cruiser has wing turrets?

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:00 pm
by Tankerace
Yep. They sort of fade in at first look, but you can clearly make out the port turret. It stands out, because the centerline turrets' guns are painted a dark color, but the wing turret guns seem to be white or light grey.

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:10 pm
by Tiornu
If so, we're left with four choices: Atlanta, Juneau, San Diego, and San Jose.

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:11 pm
by PzB74
Ah, didn't see that the destroyer only had 4 turrets...rules out the O'Bannon and Atlanta.

The following ships operated together in TF's in Guadalcanal:

Noumea Group, Admiral Turner:

One heavy cruiser:
Portland , Capt. Laurance T. DuBose.

One light cruiser (antiaircraft):

Juneau , Capt. Lyman K. Swenson.

Four destroyers:
Barton , Lt. Comdr. Douglas H. Fox.
Monssen , Lt. Comdr. Charles E. McCombs.
O'Bannon , Comdr. Edwin R. Wilkinson.
Shaw , Comdr. Wilber G. Jones.

Four transports, Capt. Ingolf N. Kiland:
McCawley (FF), Capt. Charlie P. McFeaters.
Crescent City , Capt. John R. Sullivan.
President Adams , Comdr. Frank H. Dean.
President Jackson , Comdr. Charles W. Weitzel.


Espiritu Santo Group, Section One, Rear Admiral Daniel J. Callaghan:

Two heavy cruisers, Rear Admiral Mahlon S. Tisdale:
Pensacola (F), Capt. Frank L. Lowe.
San Francisco (FF), Capt. Cassin Young.

One light cruiser:
Helena , Capt. Gilbert C. Hoover.

Six destroyers, Capt. Thomas M. Stokes (ComDesDiv TEN):
Buchanan , Comdr. Ralph E. Wilson.
Cushing (F), Lt. Comdr. Edward N. Parker.
Gwin , Lt. Comdr. John B. Fellows, Jr.
Laffey , Lt. Comdr. William E. Hank.
Preston , Comdr. Max C. Stormes.
Sterett , Comdr. Jesse G. Coward.

Espiritu Santo Group, Section Two, Rear Admiral Norman Scott:

One light cruiser (antiaircraft):
Atlanta (FF), Capt. Samuel P. Jenkins.

Four destroyers, Capt. Robert G. Tobin (ComDesRon TWELVE):
Aaron Ward (F), Comdr. Orville F. Gregor.
Fletcher , Comdr. William M. Cole.
Lardner , Lt. Comdr. Willard M. Sweetser.
McCalla , Lt. Comdr. William G. Cooper.

Three cargo vessels:
Betelgeuse , Comdr. Harry D. Power.
Libra , Comdr. William B. Fletcher, Jr.
Zeilin , Capt. Pat Buchanan.


Task Force KING, Admiral Kinkaid:

One aircraft carrier:
Enterprise (FF), Capt. Osborne B. Hardison.

Two battleships, Rear Admiral Willis A. Lee, Jr., (ComBatDiv SIX):
South Dakota , Capt. Thomas L. Gatch.
Washington (F), Capt. Glenn B. Davis.

One heavy cruiser, Rear Admiral Howard H. Good:
Northampton (F), Capt. Willard A. Kitts III.

One light cruiser (antiaircraft):
San Diego , Capt. Benjamin F. Perry.

Eight destroyers, Comdr. Harold R. Holcomb (ComDesRon TWO):

Anderson , Lt. Comdr. Richard A. Guthrie.
Benham , Lt. Comdr. John B. Taylor.
Clark (F), Lt. Comdr. Lawrence H. Martin.
Hughes , Comdr. Donald I. Ramsey.
Morris (Comdr. Arnold E. True, ComDesDiv FOUR), Lt. Comdr. Randolph B. Boyer.
Mustin , Comdr. Wallis F. Petersen.
Russell , Comdr. Glenn R. Hartwig.
Walke , Comdr. Thomas E. Fraser.

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:12 pm
by Tankerace
I don't know why, but I kinda got in the spirit of irony that it was probably San Diego, and that the men on the Mahan destroyer were rescued from either the Atlanta or the Juneau, after they went down.

Probably not the case, but it was something that jumped out at me.

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:13 pm
by Tankerace
ORIGINAL: PzB

A wild guess - the Fletcher class destroyer O'Bannon together with the CLAA Atlanta in Guadalcanal.
These ship operated together in the same TF.

It's not the O'bannon, you can tell by the Funnels, and by the lack of a Number 3 5"/38 Mk 12 mount.

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:54 pm
by Gem35
Ah the Juneau.. all 5 sullivan boys went down with her...[:(][:(][:(]

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:51 pm
by ChezDaJez
With all those people standing on the destroyer, I wonder if it is after one of the Guadalcanal disasters, like Savo Island or what not.

I was thinking of another possibility, that they are pulling alongside a tender and are waiting for mail, ice cream or beer (or all three)!!!

Chez

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:21 pm
by Subchaser
I think this is Benson class destroyer… USS Meade with rescued sailors from Walke and Preston?... the only problem - ship is painted in measure 11…

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:32 pm
by DeepSix
ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

I was thinking of another possibility, that they are pulling alongside a tender and are waiting for mail, ice cream or beer (or all three)!!!

Chez

Definitely something like that. Look at 'em all -- every single one is paying attention to whatever's going on off the port side (or starboard, if the negative is backwards....)

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:31 pm
by RevRick
Knew I'd seen it in one of my books... It's USS Laffey with a load of survivors. I don't know which ship sunk, it could be Wasp, that would be around the same time.

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:33 pm
by ADavidB
ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
With all those people standing on the destroyer, I wonder if it is after one of the Guadalcanal disasters, like Savo Island or what not.

I was thinking of another possibility, that they are pulling alongside a tender and are waiting for mail, ice cream or beer (or all three)!!!

Chez

Those guys look pretty dejected, and one of them has bandages around his waste. And they wouldn't be allow to be wearing t-shirts if they had anything else to wear. So they aren't waiting for a party.

Dave Baranyi

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:40 pm
by Subchaser
Looks like you're right

USS LAFFEY DD-459 Benson class

Image

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:21 pm
by Djordje
DD-686 USS Halsey Powell?

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:58 pm
by ChezDaJez
By the look of subchasers photo, I'ld have to say your are right.

Chez

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:51 pm
by Tiornu
I had it in mind that it was from before Fri the 13th. Wasn't there a problem with rescue operations after that fight? I recall Juneau's survivors being left to fend for themselves. Just on that basis, I tend to think in terms of Savo.

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:48 am
by DeepSix
ORIGINAL: Tiornu

I had it in mind that it was from before Fri the 13th. Wasn't there a problem with rescue operations after that fight? I recall Juneau's survivors being left to fend for themselves. Just on that basis, I tend to think in terms of Savo.


I think a few survivors were rescued, but not immediately. The surviving ships skedaddled, not wanting to risk another attack.

RE: Name This...(318)

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:15 am
by grossmetzger
i know this pic.. its Laffey indeed.
The cruiser in the background is cl-52 Juneau.
And this are the survivors of uss wasp.