Page 1 of 1
Need help please...
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 7:23 am
by Huffy
need some computer guru stuff here,...I got my MC disk with 5.3..upgraded to 6.1. Scenarieos and campains work fine (as far as I can tell). BUT...when I complete the first battle in the MC , it kicks me out of the game not alowing me to advance to the second scenarieo in the camp.
Any ideas??
Take care ....
Huffy
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 7:36 am
by Warrior
Go here:
http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_downloads.htm.
Down the page under "6.0+ downloads" is a revision Wild Bill did for MCNA. It may solve your problem.
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 3:32 pm
by Huffy
Thanks for the try Warrior...but no go...still does it.
I am running a P3-900, 512 ram, 40G hard dr., win 98/with the updates.voodoo 5 5500,sound blaster live plat ,
Any ideas would be appriciated.
Huffy
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 3:36 pm
by Warrior
Well, when all else fails, I usually do a game uninstall and reinstall, making sure I delete the mech.exe and steel.prf before putting in each upgrade. Lot of work, but your system seems OK.
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 7:28 pm
by Charles2222
Wow, Huffy finally got his stuff huh?
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 11:35 pm
by sjohn
I'm having the exact same crash to desktop issue as Huffy and have been looking thru similar threads for fixes. I opened a Help Desk account, but noticed some good advice in this thread... I'll keep it short.
I've tried uninstll/reistall a few times and have also used the Wild Bill MCNA patch from Armor Site as well as nuking "mech.exe" before installing the 5.3 - 6.1 patch (SPWAW-61-Update.exe) but I still can't actually start a second battle. It crashes to desktop whenever I hit "Continue" to start next battle (even if it's "An Early Set Back"). Strangely enough, I don't have the "Steel.prf" file at all, the closest thing is a couple of "Steel.pal" files. I make sure to "show all files" so I know they're not hidden. I even tried surrendering twice (let's just say the Gestapo knows my parents address), but I can't go onto "A Hard Pressed Battle" either. Always after hitting "Continue" the game crashes to desktop.
My system has never given me any problems after lots of SPWAW play so that's kinda weird. PII, 450MHz, 256MB RAM, 8MB STB nVidia ZXV (AGP)(stock Dell card ca. 1998), Win98 (updated via Windows Update, but not SE), DirectX 7.0--(could that be it?).
Any thoughts?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 12:39 am
by SAMWolf
Originally posted by ItsMeBrenGun:
I'm having the exact same crash to desktop issue as Huffy and have been looking thru similar threads for fixes. I opened a Help Desk account, but noticed some good advice in this thread... I'll keep it short.
I've tried uninstll/reistall a few times and have also used the Wild Bill MCNA patch from Armor Site as well as nuking "mech.exe" before installing the 5.3 - 6.1 patch (SPWAW-61-Update.exe) but I still can't actually start a second battle. It crashes to desktop whenever I hit "Continue" to start next battle (even if it's "An Early Set Back"). Strangely enough, I don't have the "Steel.prf" file at all, the closest thing is a couple of "Steel.pal" files. I make sure to "show all files" so I know they're not hidden. I even tried surrendering twice (let's just say the Gestapo knows my parents address), but I can't go onto "A Hard Pressed Battle" either. Always after hitting "Continue" the game crashes to desktop.
My system has never given me any problems after lots of SPWAW play so that's kinda weird. PII, 450MHz, 256MB RAM, 8MB STB nVidia ZXV (AGP)(stock Dell card ca. 1998), Win98 (updated via Windows Update, but not SE), DirectX 7.0--(could that be it?).
Any thoughts?
I'm using Directx 8.+ and have no problems.
It'd be interesting to see if all the people with crashes are using DirectX 7.
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 1:52 am
by Warrior
Originally posted by ItsMeBrenGun:
I don't have the "Steel.prf" file at all, the closest thing is a couple of "Steel.pal" files.
The "steel.prf" file is in the game SAVE folder. If you delete it, it regenerates when you open the game again. It's where you preferences live.
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 9:18 am
by Huffy
Hey guys...thanks for all your help...but...do to stuff beyond my control. ..it didn't work...I deleted mech.exe, steel.prf files. Deleted -reinstalled...oh well...I will concede defeat. I am not upset...a little disapointed...but I don't mind supporting Matrix . They have given me sooooo much gaming time and pleasure.Keep up the good work guys.
If anyone has ideas...because this string will probly die off...please e-mail me ...
jeffhuff@sunlink.net
Thanks ....and take care...
Huffy
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 9:29 am
by Huffy
But...I will add...even after deleteing those files that were mentioned...the MC still knew my name and had my record in load/save...so they didn't really get rid of all saved stuff...
Just a after thought....and I do have DX8.1a
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 9:46 pm
by Mai Thai
To Huffy:
I am running a P3-800, 512 ram, 30G hard dr., win ME/2K/XP with Nvidia Geforce DDR and sound blaster live platinum (similar configuration) and directX 8.0!!!
The game and the MCDF cd are running very well.
It is possible that is something with directX or with your voodoo 5 card, if you can change this with another one just to try or perhaps you can try to move the slider that enables hardware acceleration of your graphic card to a slower position.
Bye (just guessing)
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 10:00 pm
by General Mayhem
Originally posted by SAMWolf:
I'm using Directx 8.+ and have no problems.
It'd be interesting to see if all the people with crashes are using DirectX 7.
I'm using directx 7. However, I'm also
using Soundblaster live( but not the platium)
as person who started this thread.
Anybody else having similar problems having
some Soundblaster Live! version?
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 10:03 pm
by Wild Bill
Follow these steps in order and carefully and I think it should get you all squared away for play.
1. Be sure you have the latest version of SPWAW installed (6.1, as of now).
http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/worldatwar/downloads.asp
2. Be sure you have downloaded and installed the files from Fabio's site to update your MCNA campaign.
http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_scenarios_wbw.htm
Load them into your SPWAW\MegaCam\The Desert Fox-41 directory.
3. With your file manager, delete all save files in your SPWAW\MegaCam\Save directory, or at least move them somewhere else (not the directory, just the files in the directory).
4. Delete the infamous steel.prf file from your SPWAW\Save directory.
5. Reboot the computer completely.
Start the game. Start the campaign. Hopefully it will work for you now.
Let me know.
Wild Bill
=====================
[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Wild Bill ]
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 10:11 pm
by Wild Bill
Let me know if this resolves the problem now...WB
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 11:28 pm
by General Mayhem
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Let me know if this resolves the problem now...WB
Doesn't work with Command and Control on. Choosing it makes the whole game crash almost immediately. It also crashes if I click anything on actuall battle map where units are and C&C is on. This happens only in MC.
Otherwise, seems to work OK.
[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: General Mayhem ]
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 2:11 am
by Huffy
well....no...it didn't work...I'm gonna try it on my sons comp. thanks for all your input and advice.Oh well...I'll just play on of the other campains. Maybe it'll work it's way out.
Take care all...
Huffy