Page 1 of 1

How do you avaid assaulting a vehicle?

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:01 am
by Del
I've moved two units next to a German tank in the forest. The tank has no infantry support. It's ripe for the picking. I attack with a depleted Guard infantry squad first. The percentage to fire on it is very favorable, 73%. But when I attack the tank the game dose it as a close assault and I get only a 7% chance. :mad: The attack fails of course and the tank wipes out the rest of the squad.

Round two. I still have the RPG unit next to the tank. The tank has exposed it's flank to the RPG squad so it could shoot at the depleted infantry squad and it's buttoned. The RPG squads to hit chance is 78%. When I go to attack the tank I know as sure as I'm sitting here crying over the loss of my infantry that the percentage will drop to 12% or less. :( How do I get the RPG squad to fire it's weapon instead of close assaulting? :confused:

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:25 am
by Don
I've run into this - the only way I know to avoid it is to stay 2 hexes away. If they are 1 hex away they think you want them to close assault, I believe.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:26 am
by El Vito
Target the unit with the T button then use the C button to choose the number of the weapon you wish to use exclusively. I have had the same problem so I just use the squad AT weapon to avoid assaulting.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:28 am
by El Vito
I should add that the assault is sometimes the better choice depending on target facing and such.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:59 am
by Del
Thanks for the answers guys. I wouldn't mind the close assault being the default so much if it weren't for the fact that the chance of the close assault succeeding is a small fraction of the to hit chance. I understand this may not always be the case but...

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 7:13 pm
by Paul Vebber
Remeber that the to hit chance is the chance of hitting, you still have to kill it. Close assault chance is the chance of killing it outright (or at least immobilizing it)

SO if you have a 70% chance to hit but only a 20% chance to kill it, your chance is only
.7*.2 = .14

Also note that even if you fail to kill it close assaulting you AUTOMATICALLY (hit or not) do about 10-20 suppression on the target

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 8:26 pm
by Truckeye
ok, what about when you want your squad to close assault and they dont, but suddenly have 20+ suppression? is that a failed morale check?

while im asking, what is happening when you click to close assault, and instead of shooting, the target spins and blasts you with all hes got. is that also failed morale and then being discovered and opfired on?

thanks jp

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 5:44 pm
by panda124c
Originally posted by Del:
Thanks for the answers guys. I wouldn't mind the close assault being the default so much if it weren't for the fact that the chance of the close assault succeeding is a small fraction of the to hit chance. I understand this may not always be the case but...
You can also set your units range to 0 (zero) then they will only assualt unit in their own hex. I do this for scouts to keep them out of trouble. But do remember that if you take fire the computer automaticly resets you range.