Page 1 of 2

Wild Bill, Arnhem Scenario sent to you

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:20 am
by David boutwell
Wild Bill,

Check your email for my Arnhem scenario. Post it, trash it, whatever.....

Thanks,

David Boutwell

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 7:58 pm
by Wild Bill
Our most competent testers are giving it a final run David and then a home will be found for it, I'm sure...WB

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 9:04 pm
by Gen. Maczek
Mind if I take a look? :)
Regards.
Gen. Maczek

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 2:31 am
by Fabio Prado
David, since now I am offering my website to host your Arnhem scenario... :)

Fab

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 2:44 am
by Jaques Rico
@David boutwell

That place is called "Arnheim", not "Arnhem".

Helpful
JR

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 6:11 am
by BryanMelvin
Originally posted by Jaques Rico:
@David boutwell

That place is called "Arnheim", not "Arnhem".

Helpful
JR
Hello David ! I see you finished this big scenario - Congrat :D

I have seen it in its begining and it played well then!!

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 6:53 am
by Truckeye
That place is called "Arnheim", not "Arnhem".

Helpful

Perhaps the locals spell it Arnheim, but on many english maps its Arnhem. Probably along the same lines as your maps say Munchen and ours Munich etc. i did search national geographic and yahoo for the Arnhem spelling and both provided many links to sites spelled the "english" way. interesting to me how the practice of changing the names came to be. i doubt many US cities are "re-named" on maps for the rest of the world. probably to help some dummy pronounce it easier, though i dont see munchen/munich as a good example of that. and no, my keyboard doesnt do umlauds for the proper spelling of munich. sorry if im too off topic. jp

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:02 am
by David boutwell
Originally posted by Gen. Maczek:
Mind if I take a look? :)
Regards.
Gen. Maczek
General,

Patience...You'll be able to download it very soon, I think. Thanks for asking, though :)

David Boutwell

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:08 am
by David boutwell
Originally posted by Fabio Prado:
David, since now I am offering my website to host your Arnhem scenario... :)

Fab
Fabio,

Once Wild Bill's guys have given it a shakedown, I'll definitely send it your way.

Thanks,

David Boutwell

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:12 am
by David boutwell
Originally posted by BryanMelvin:


Hello David ! I see you finished this big scenario - Congrat :D

I have seen it in its begining and it played well then!!
Marauder,

Nice to hear from you again! i don't know if a scenario this complicated will ever be "finished". There are so many things that can be tweaked or manipulated. But, I'm done with "version 1.0", anyway.

David Boutwell

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:21 am
by David boutwell
Originally posted by Jaques Rico:
@David boutwell

That place is called "Arnheim", not "Arnhem".

Helpful
JR
That's interesting, Jaques. Maybe, doing an Internet search using the German spelling might bring up some new information from the German perspective of the battle, although it will probably be in German. All of the English text books and websites, and even the Dutch ones, that I've seen have spelled it "Arnhem".

I was supposed to move to Munich several years back, and when I was in Germany, I was confused by how to pronounce Munchen. Language differences are funny that way.

David Boutwell

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 9:38 am
by Fabio Prado
Originally posted by David boutwell:


Fabio,

Once Wild Bill's guys have given it a shakedown, I'll definitely send it your way.

Thanks,

David Boutwell
I'll keep looking forward to it! :D

Fab

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 10:12 am
by Wild Bill
Being worked on by some of the best out there as we speak...Wild Bill

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 1:35 pm
by Mai Thai
To Truckeye:
and no, my keyboard doesnt do umlauds for the
proper spelling of munich.
Don't bother with "umlaut", you can substitute them with "e":

Münich becomes Muenich to simulate umlaut and other examples:

grüssen --> gruessen (bye)
über --> ueber (on)

and so on.
Bye

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:31 pm
by Truckeye
i knew about the "e" trick, but in this case i thought it would just add more confusion :) i figured someone would tell me a trick about hitting several keys at the same time to get a secret umlaut symbol :eek:

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:46 pm
by Mai Thai
To Truckeye:
you may try those:

[Alt] + 132 = ä
[Alt] + 137 = ë
[Alt] + 139 = ï
[Alt] + 148 = ö
[Alt] + 129 = ü

or look for more at:
http://www.quicknet.ch/ott/speedy/waha/ascii.html

Bye

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 5:07 pm
by Truckeye
ask and you shall receive! thanks, this board is great. :D now that i know, ill probably never need it again :p

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 6:29 pm
by idn
FYI guys,

It's definitely Arnhem, it's a town in the Netherlands. Locals spell and pronounce it as such.

Arnheim is probably German, it's got definitely nothing to do with the Arnhem of the Market Garden Operation.

And I'm looking forward to playing it!

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 10:31 pm
by Fabs
Many towns in Europe near borders have names in their original language and in that of the neighboring Country, at times because it may have changed hands several times over the centuries.

Arnhem is a Dutch town. The Dutch call it Arnhem, the Germans Arnheim.

Arnehm is not an "English" spelling, it is the proper spelling.

Arnheim most certainly is not, and the Dutch inhabitants who suffered 5 years of German occupation and had their town severely damaged by the fighting, in which civilian casualties were suffered, to liberate it would have taken exeption to anyone suggesting otherwise.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 10:41 pm
by Tommy
Originally posted by Fabs:
Arnhem is a Dutch town. The Dutch call it Arnhem, the Germans Arnheim.

Arnehm is not an "English" spelling, it is the proper spelling.
Fabs,

OK, let's see if I got it right;
Arnhem is Dutch
Arnheim is German
Arnehm is English :D

Tommy