Note to slide rule junkies
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 7:19 am
Hmmm how do I put it.
Been playing a long WW2 campaign eh. My unit is not all that special. A bit of this a bit of that. Even bought a couple of thingys cause they look neat (Command Tent for the boss).
Playing as the British eh. Got me a fine formation of Matilda's (love them Matilda tanks). Got some arty got some infantry, usually go nuts on 8 inch arty with support points too.
Now I know everyone likes to play the Germans (superman myth and all that). They were supposedly was soooo good during the attack in France during 1940.
Hmmmmm
With my opening battle I handed the Germans their heads on platter. For me my casualties were one of my Matildas had a broken gun, bummer. Half my army (that was defensive posture supposedly) never even had the chance to shoot at the Germans.
Then I move to the desert.
And I find that the Italian army is worse than in real life. My only problem was I got bored. So I attacked the attackers. What a rout. Of course arty has a nice habit of trashing an attack. The Italians never had a chance.
That made it two crushing defeats.
Fighting at Halfaya right now in battle number 3. Same Italians it seems. Man they suck.
Been hearing a lot of commentary about game mechanics issues. Hmmmm. Well I defended and kicked butt. Then I played defense and turned it to an attack and kicked butt.
Cant say I have met any of those indestructible infantry I have been hearing about. Seems to me the player only needs the right weapon at the right moment. Maybe thats what the problem is. Or perhaps people are over analysing.
This is therefore my wholehearted endorsement of 6.1 being perfectly fine. I can defend well. I can attack well (even when I should be defending).
But I have perhaps read the battlefield well and and I am merely enjoying the fruits of good leadership.
Either way I have done all the things that seem to be undoable to some of our posters. Maybe to play Steel Panthers one must put down the slide rule and get out and smell the battlefield more.
I never consult weapon stats. I dont follow the messages when I use my units. If it doesnt work the first time I try again. I try to see myself on the screen and "feel" my way through each turn.
Steel Panthers is after all just a game. Eventually you have to put away the calculator. Eventually you have to use that thing that all leaders have. You have to take what you have, and make it perform. The games niggling details will neeeeever be totally accurate. Its just not possible.
Do YOU really have what it takes.
Been playing a long WW2 campaign eh. My unit is not all that special. A bit of this a bit of that. Even bought a couple of thingys cause they look neat (Command Tent for the boss).
Playing as the British eh. Got me a fine formation of Matilda's (love them Matilda tanks). Got some arty got some infantry, usually go nuts on 8 inch arty with support points too.
Now I know everyone likes to play the Germans (superman myth and all that). They were supposedly was soooo good during the attack in France during 1940.
Hmmmmm
With my opening battle I handed the Germans their heads on platter. For me my casualties were one of my Matildas had a broken gun, bummer. Half my army (that was defensive posture supposedly) never even had the chance to shoot at the Germans.
Then I move to the desert.
And I find that the Italian army is worse than in real life. My only problem was I got bored. So I attacked the attackers. What a rout. Of course arty has a nice habit of trashing an attack. The Italians never had a chance.
That made it two crushing defeats.
Fighting at Halfaya right now in battle number 3. Same Italians it seems. Man they suck.
Been hearing a lot of commentary about game mechanics issues. Hmmmm. Well I defended and kicked butt. Then I played defense and turned it to an attack and kicked butt.
Cant say I have met any of those indestructible infantry I have been hearing about. Seems to me the player only needs the right weapon at the right moment. Maybe thats what the problem is. Or perhaps people are over analysing.
This is therefore my wholehearted endorsement of 6.1 being perfectly fine. I can defend well. I can attack well (even when I should be defending).
But I have perhaps read the battlefield well and and I am merely enjoying the fruits of good leadership.
Either way I have done all the things that seem to be undoable to some of our posters. Maybe to play Steel Panthers one must put down the slide rule and get out and smell the battlefield more.
I never consult weapon stats. I dont follow the messages when I use my units. If it doesnt work the first time I try again. I try to see myself on the screen and "feel" my way through each turn.
Steel Panthers is after all just a game. Eventually you have to put away the calculator. Eventually you have to use that thing that all leaders have. You have to take what you have, and make it perform. The games niggling details will neeeeever be totally accurate. Its just not possible.
Do YOU really have what it takes.