Page 1 of 1

Production is obscure

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:58 pm
by simone.donnini
I think the population (manpower) rule in production is confusing and adds nothing to the game.
Production should be really more straightforward: when i spend money and population on a unit I want it to be built. Stop. Its really painful to check the population needs for the current turn and for all future turns. When you add to the equation damaged units this system becomes unfriendly 100%

Imo, if this game wants to appeal a broader audience it should have not made this kind fo mistakes.
Please believe me, many friends of mine are interested in this game, but rules like this are really obscure, its going to be very difficult to catch their interest.

RE: Production is obscure

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:30 pm
by dulsin2
I agree that the rule adds complexity but that isn't a bad thing. Because of the population rules each nations forces are nudged into historical molds.

If there wasn't a population restriction, on the first turn as germany I would build 20 Militia for partisan control. This would make it far to much like Axis and Allies.

RE: Production is obscure

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:55 pm
by simone.donnini
I agree with you, the manpower restriction is a must.
Anyway this rule is implemented badly, because the population is subtracted from the pool in the future turn in which the item is produced, not when you 'buy' it. And this generates confusion

RE: Production is obscure

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:35 pm
by paullus99
I always end up with a major deficit in population for my production - I don't think it detracts from the game....it just means that you need to have people ready to man the equipment you build, when the item is ready to go (soldiers, sailors, etc).

RE: Production is obscure

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:13 pm
by Hanal
...and remember what has been mentioned in previous threads, before ending your production phase turn, if you see any negative numbers in either resources, factories, or population, put those units which you can afford to wait for on "hold" until you see all the negative numbers removed....I know that means putting a bit of thought into your production plans but that is why this game is not A&A....as I had mentioned in my AAR's, research and production are actually games within the game as you try to out think your opponents with various R&P stratagies...

RE: Production is obscure

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:57 am
by Paul Vebber
AS I go throuhgh each areas builds- I just check the pool - if I exhaust teh pool and realize there is a specifc area I need to buld in, I go back and put things on hold to have the pool available where I need it. THis is particularly true of the SU. In places like India, it measn you basically build unit-supply-unit-supply every other turn.

I guess maybe after you play a while you get a feel for what sort of "buy" different pools support.