Page 1 of 1
SPWaW on Linux WebPage Finished!
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:43 am
by sinner
Fellow Gamers,
I just finished the webpage on HOWTO install and play SPWaW on Linux!
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy/Steel/linux_en.html
I have an area to include your success stories, so other people will know what setup you are using. This way, it can become easier to figure out what do they need to play SPWaW on Linux.
Comments wellcome. Also, please correct my English. I can say SturmTiger better than properly spelling artillery

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:28 am
by ectizen
Good stuff!
Two changes for the success stories:
- Both of my systems are running XFree86 V 4.0.3
- The system with the Trident video card uses the "trident" driver

Feel free to add my email, for anyone that want to ask me about my setups.
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:41 am
by sinner
OK ectizen,
Done!
I guess that my cut'n'paste hability is worst than my operational combat skill.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:24 am
by ectizen
A couple of other things you might want to change or mention:
- If you're using Gnome instead of KDE, the graphical package manager is gnorpm, not Kpackage.
- The period in .wine is a leading period, not trailing.
- It might be worthwhile advising people to try running something simpler than SP:WaW first. This would help to point out basic installation/configuration problems, before they encounter more advanced difficulties.
- Desktop resolutions less than 800x600 probably won't work. 800x600 probably would, but you'd lose any multitasking benefits, and if there were problems, you may get stuck. Although if you have mouse focusing problems, 800x600 might be safest. 1024x768 and above will give you SP:WaW in the top left of your desktop.
- When starting a terminal, if you move it to the bottom right, you can see some diagnostic messages as the game starts and runs. Additionally, if you encounter mouse or keyboard problems in the game, you can switch back to the terminal and press Ctrl-C to abort the game.
- In english it would be: Linux is very picky with uppercase and lowercase.
- For what it's worth, I've had no problems installing and updating SP:WaW in something other than the default directories.
- In the introduction, Linux is a bluescreen-free Operating System.
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:50 am
by sinner
ectizen,
Thank you for your input.
I just corrected the webpage. Also, I have added many of your sensible comments.
The only one that I "opted out" is the one of Desktop resolution: I recomend not using it, as well as to not using the Managed Windows option. It can cause more trouble than benefits. So, for WINE starters, better leave them out!
Thank you again.
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:22 am
by ectizen
Ahh... you misunderstood
When I was talking about "desktop", I was referring to the linux desktop - the resolution used by X windows - not the "Desktop" option in the wine config. I thought it was worth mentioning, since not everyone runs X windows at 1280x1024

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:26 pm
by sinner
My friend,
Got it. Now I understand
I'm adding it to the page. It will be there in 5 minutes.
Also,
Can you please modify my site's entry on SPWaW WebRing? Something like : "SPWaW on Linux + Battlefield Tactics" would be great.
Thank you very much.
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:39 am
by bradmbrown
I got RedHat.
It sits in a tiny Maintanence partion.
And I have an old 540 mB HDD in a drawer growing old.
I am gonna follow your instructions. I like Linux, but I don't use it much becausue there isn't (hasn't been) much fun stuff I can do with it, except learn *nix...
NOW, there is a reason for all the horrible Linux FAQs I have subjected myself to over the years...
Cool
Thank you.
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:57 am
by sinner
Hi General,
Now, installing Linux (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake) is very easy. And there are lots of usefull applications.
I use Linux exclusively. I have a good e-mail client (it manages multiple accounts), a bunch of web-browsers, cool multimedia apps, development tools, 3D games (Soldier of Fortune, Descent 3, Quake III)...
And, of course, vital applications: Korganizer, StarOffice (there's a version for Windows if you want to try it before using it on Linux) and, of course, Steel Panthers
Please, let me know if you need help.
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 2:03 am
by McDrum
I also was able of playing SPWaW 5.1 in linux.
Mine is SuSE 7.2 pro distro, easy and clean.
Just installed wine and winesetup-a menudriven tool, you have not longer to configure the wine.conf file- and that was it.
To linux newbies, perhaps you have to reconfigure your MsWindow$ fstab entries to give read-write-execute access to every user. You can find the howto in the 40 to 50 entries in the wine faq file in the wine web site:
http://www.winehq.com/faq.html#q46
also you can find there many useful tips.
Thanks a lot:
PS: Joé, Pecador, vaya esfuerzo para explicar a todos los de la pajuera que y quién es Chiquito de la Calzada,

tú crees que entenderán algo? Un saludo!!
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 2:21 am
by sinner
McDrum:
¿que pacha con los Palentinos? ¿buena artillería?
Lo del Chiquito, mira, se intenta. Al menos, tú lo has entendido. M'alegro.
Otra cosa, ¿me puedes enviar rellenado el "cuestionario" de los éxitos de SPWaW en Linux? Mira al final de la peich. Te puedes hacer famoso en mi peich. El poner tu emilio en la lista de éxitos es opcional, claro
For English-speakers:
Whasssup with Palentia people? Good artillery?
About Chiquito, well, I have tried. At least, you have understood it. Cool.
Also. Can you feel in the questions that apperar in the Success stories area on SPWaW on Linux page? You can become famous. And your e-mail will only show up there if you agree, of course.
Salut,
Sinner
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 11:43 pm
by Nemesis
You sir, are a genius!
I tried to get SPWAW to work under my SuSE 7.1 a while ago, but I coulnd't get it to work properly (no sound among other things). I will retry when I have the time and I will get back to you.
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 2:02 am
by sinner
Nemesis,
I am not a genious. Just stubborn enough to keep trying until SPWaW worked on Linux
Anyway, if you need help, just tell me. I will be happy to help you.
And, after you are running SPWaW, you can send me the data of your set-up, so you can be part of the "SPWaW on Linux: Success Stories"
Salut,
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 1:38 am
by Nemesis
Originally posted by Sinner from the Prairy:
Nemesis,
I am not a genious. Just stubborn enough to keep trying until SPWaW worked on Linux
Anyway, if you need help, just tell me. I will be happy to help you.
And, after you are running SPWaW, you can send me the data of your set-up, so you can be part of the "SPWaW on Linux: Success Stories"
Salut,
Will do

!