Page 1 of 1
I Was Wiped Out!!
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:47 pm
by Figmo
No not in the game - that virus did me in. I'm posting from work because it's not all fixed at home yet. Some of my software isn't reloading like it should.
It pretty much did me in and the wife - trying to help - erased my backup drive on the LAN - so I pretty much lost everything.
Luckily I backed up all completed scenarios - but anything done in the last month was lost - ARGH!!
I won't be completely back on-line until I have ALL my protection up and running and up-to-date. If I gave the virus to anybody - I AM SORRY!!
The worst part is I haven't played a game of SPWaW for 5 days - Double ARGH!!
Figmo
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:59 pm
by BryanMelvin
Originally posted by Figmo:
No not in the game - that virus did me in. I'm posting from work because it's not all fixed at home yet. Some of my software isn't reloading like it should.
It pretty much did me in and the wife - trying to help - erased my backup drive on the LAN - so I pretty much lost everything.
Luckily I backed up all completed scenarios - but anything done in the last month was lost - ARGH!!
I won't be completely back on-line until I have ALL my protection up and running and up-to-date. If I gave the virus to anybody - I AM SORRY!!
The worst part is I haven't played a game of SPWaW for 5 days - Double ARGH!!
Figmo
Sorry to here this Jim - hope you have it all fixed soon. People who design these virus's should receive the Death Penalty in any and all countries or atleast have there hands removed and privet parts detached so as to deprive them of the only pleasure they know of..
Why these idiots do this is beyond my comprehension. I've been hit by virus's too in the past and Lord help me if I ever come face to face with a known Worm scum that brags about a virus they placed on the net

My knife is sharp and fist of fury ready..
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:45 pm
by jamiep1
Man Jim,
I'm sorry to hear that. The only way to put it, is That Sucks!! I cannot fathom anyone with that kind of brain pan could be doing so much good but chooses to do destructive evil. Makes zero sense.
Jamie
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:21 pm
by sinner
To Figmo:
I'm very sorry to hear this! At least, the important stuff is backed-up (SPWaW saves).
I strongly recommend you to get a back up system (CD-RW? ZIP unit?). It is wise, specially if you use a computer a lot.
To BryanMelvin:
I believe that you are being way to nice with virus-developers. There should be harder laws than the penalties that the ones that you propose.
I got hit by viruses long time ago, and it was not pretty. Sometimes I wish I had a pre-planned artillery-fire hex just ontop of the house of some virus-writter. Oh, and a Nebelwerfer battery as well

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:11 am
by Sami
No no Sinner!!!
Thats way too fast and easy for those f#¤kers....
....I'm thinking of honey and ants...LOTS of ants!
Cheers,
Sami
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:53 am
by Don Doom
Red and or Bull ants

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:08 am
by BruceAZ_MatrixForum
Bull will do.
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:24 am
by Figmo
Thanks guys for the understanding!! I've finally got my wifes computer running and protected - she needs it for school.
The problem with mine is now I can't get more than 16 colors. I've tried everything I know - any suggestions???
I'll post to the troubleshooting forum - but if any of you know any tricks - speak up please!!
I want to play a scenario - the kids computer which isn't on the net - is looking better and better!!
Figmo
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:02 am
by Jeff Norton
FIGMO,
Try loading the video driver again.
If that dosen't work, see if your vid card manufactor has a firmware upgrage for the card (kinda like a BIOS flash.)
Have u tried other video modes? Windows gets goofy sometimes.
Hope this helps.
-Jeff
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:14 am
by Fabio Prado
I am really sorry to hear that, Figmo!
I hope you manage to get everything fixed up pretty soon!
If there is anything you feel I might help just send me a private e-mail from work.
Fab
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 12:06 pm
by Wild Bill
I truly hate it for you Figmo. A low blow to a good man! Wish I could be there to help.
I went down that road about 2 years ago...don't ever want to do that again!
Wild Bill
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 4:40 pm
by Halgary
Originally posted by Figmo:
No not in the game - that virus did me in. I'm posting from work because it's not all fixed at home yet. Some of my software isn't reloading like it should.
Figmo
Just recently my anti-virus software caught a virus that would have eventually done the same thing for my computer too. The guy from whom I got it (via EMail) said: "my computer does NOT have viruses!"... He was warned, now I'm just waiting for the virus to ignite on his PC. Price of arrogance, I think.
"
http://www.frisk.is" is a good place to start. I'm fortunate enough to have a free lisence from my local university.
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:03 pm
by gdpsnake
Two kinds of people write virus programs. People without a real life and people who sell anti-virus programs.
Is the pit and the pendulum too harse a punishment?
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:16 pm
by panda124c
Originally posted by gdpsnake:
Is the pit and the pendulum too harse a punishment?
Much too nice, filleting comes to mind.