Page 1 of 1

General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:01 pm
by Franky513
Hello,

there are not only sound problems with the combat animations, but (now) also with the whole game itself:

1. After a few turns, you hear no moving sound of the units and no battle sound for attacks (combat animations turned off) any more.
2. Sometimes, even the music stops, especially after long AI turns.
3. If I restart the game, the sound runs fine for a while, until this problem comes up again.

This bug appears first as soon as the USA joins the war, not earlier!

Here is my dxdiag. I have the newest Audigy 2 drivers and the hardware acceleration for the sound is turned off.

Please fix this. The game runs fine on my old system with an Audigy 1 card.

Ciao Frank


RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:21 pm
by Mr.Frag
Try turning off Hyperthreading in your bios. See what that does. I have run into lots of stuff that doesn't like it.

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:42 pm
by Franky513
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Try turning off Hyperthreading in your bios. See what that does. I have run into lots of stuff that doesn't like it.

Thanks a lot, it helped me with about 90% of my sound problems with this game. Nevertheless, it can't be a permanent solution to deactivate HT in order to play WAW...

Ciao Frank

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:49 pm
by Mr.Frag
ORIGINAL: Frank Klein
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Try turning off Hyperthreading in your bios. See what that does. I have run into lots of stuff that doesn't like it.

Thanks a lot, it helped me with about 90% of my sound problems with this game. Nevertheless, it can't be a permanent solution to deactivate HT in order to play WAW...

Ciao Frank

Get used to it, very little game software is designed for multiple processor machines. HT fools the software into thinking there is a second cpu which screws up timing loops as it is not a real cpu, just a method of shoving a couple extra instructions into the queue. A Real 2 CPU system doesn't work like HT and doesn't suffer from this problem. Just another one of those Intel selling fantasy deals to retain market share.

As games are generally written to run flat out, using HT is counter productive as it takes away from the main thread to feed the secondary ones.

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:14 am
by Willy Liao
Try this instead of turning off HT:

Launch WaW
Launch Task Manager
Right click WaW.exe and choose Set Affinity...
Change WaW.exe to use only CPU 0 instead of both CPU 0 and CPU 1.

There you go. I think there is a developer's tool that lets you change the exe image to set affinity, but this isn't too inconvenient until Matrix fixes it.

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:53 pm
by Franky513
ORIGINAL: Willy Liao

Try this instead of turning off HT:

Launch WaW
Launch Task Manager
Right click WaW.exe and choose Set Affinity...
Change WaW.exe to use only CPU 0 instead of both CPU 0 and CPU 1.

Thanks a lot, this is great. But I still hope that Matrix will fix the sound bug in near future.

Ciao Frank

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:45 am
by chulo
I have also lost my combat sound when I first install the game it was fine i heard the combat sound but when i restarted the game sound never returned uninstall and reinstalled the game but combat sound does not work at al. All I hear is the is the music. I have xp pro sp2 amd athlon xp , don't know what the hell went wrong.

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:18 am
by Marc von Martial
ORIGINAL: chulo

I have also lost my combat sound when I first install the game it was fine i heard the combat sound but when i restarted the game sound never returned uninstall and reinstalled the game but combat sound does not work at al. All I hear is the is the music. I have xp pro sp2 amd athlon xp , don't know what the hell went wrong.

Did you check the game settings allready? Maybe you turned it of by accident.

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:52 pm
by chulo
Found the source to my problem it was a mega codecs that I recently installed now my combat sounds are back. There is still a problem with my graphics while moving around the map screen part of the mapand somtimes everything turns into blocks spots and I have to minimize the game window and then maximize it againn and the screen goes back to normal but when i move around again blocks spots return.

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:18 pm
by Franky513
ORIGINAL: chulo

Found the source to my problem it was a mega codecs that I recently installed now my combat sounds are back.

Could you please tell me which codecs caused the problems with the sounds?

Image

and

Image

Ciao Frank

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:09 pm
by chulo
ACE Mega CodecS Pack 6.01 - Professional Edition was the codes I installed and caused my combat sound problems but has you can see in the text there is a bunch of codecs installed so I can't pin point which one it was maybe a tech here can tell you.. sorry but I hope this will help you.

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:11 pm
by chulo
Ok hereis the codecs that are in my system after I uninstalled ACE Mega CodecS Pack 6.01 - Professional Edition .

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:35 pm
by Franky513
ORIGINAL: chulo

Ok hereis the codecs that are in my system after I uninstalled ACE Mega CodecS Pack 6.01 - Professional Edition .

Thanks. How did you generate this txt-file with the installed codecs? Please tell me the necessary software. Do you also have a Creative Audigy 2 card?

Ciao Frank

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:51 pm
by chulo
Well I have via ac'97 audio controller but here is a link where you can down load the program. http://corecodec.org/projects/sherlock/

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:19 pm
by Franky513
ORIGINAL: chulo

Well I have via ac'97 audio controller but here is a link where you can down load the program. http://corecodec.org/projects/sherlock/

I just deinstalled all those codecs on my PC which you also did not have installed. Unfortunately, it did not help.

Thus, there must be a problem with the Pentium 4, the Soundblaster Audigy 2 and WAW.

Ciao Frank

RE: General Sound Problems with the game...

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:45 pm
by Franky513
Well, since I've installed the patch 1.06, there are no problems with the sound any more. I can say now that 98% of all sound effects are played. Only some few combat sounds of long AI turns are not always played.

But it's a great improvement. It seems to me that Matrix Games has changed something with the sound drivers of the game. [;)]

Ciao Frank