Page 1 of 1
transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:03 am
by randell765
Am I understanding transports correctly, for every space you have 1 transport and then at your destination you have as many troops as you want to send over, is that correct?
How come transports lock, lets say I want to use transports(anyware),how come the transport that transports supplies or is getting resources is locked from moving? How do I get it too move? Thank you.
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:47 pm
by artgrtr8u
Once any sort of cargo is loaded onto a transport (supplies, infantry, etc.) that transport is frozen and can no longer move.
You can't load, move, unload like you do in A&A, you have to have a chain of transports to get a unit from one place to another.
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:00 pm
by Barthheart
ORIGINAL: artgrtr8u
Once any sort of cargo is loaded onto a transport (supplies, infantry, etc.) that transport is frozen and can no longer move.
You can't load, move, unload like you do in A&A, you have to have a chain of transports to get a unit from one place to another.
Or you can load, wait until next turn then move loaded. Just make sure you can't get hit while you're waiting to move as you will lose the transport and the unit on board! [X(]
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:13 pm
by artgrtr8u
Or you can load, wait until next turn then move loaded.
I can't find the reference, but I thought I read somewhere that supplies were the exception to this rule. Supply units left on a transport will be lost. Can anyone confirm this?
Also, the manual says "Transport Fleets cannot move if they contain
any cargo..." (emphasis from the book). So can a previously loaded transport move or not? I haven't tried.
Also from the manual "When a Transport Fleet moves to a region containing another Transport Fleet that has all of its Movement Points remaining, this movement expends no Movement Points." They then go on to give a tactics tip to remember to use this rule when transporting over long distances.
Bottom line is, I guess I'm still a little confused about when a Transport Fleet can/can't move with/without cargo.
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:26 pm
by Barthheart
ORIGINAL: artgrtr8u
Or you can load, wait until next turn then move loaded.
I can't find the reference, but I thought I read somewhere that supplies were the exception to this rule. Supply units left on a transport will be lost. Can anyone confirm this?
Also, the manual says "Transport Fleets cannot move if they contain
any cargo..." (emphasis from the book). So can a previously loaded transport move or not? I haven't tried.
Also from the manual "When a Transport Fleet moves to a region containing another Transport Fleet that has all of its Movement Points remaining, this movement expends no Movement Points." They then go on to give a tactics tip to remember to use this rule when transporting over long distances.
Bottom line is, I guess I'm still a little confused about when a Transport Fleet can/can't move with/without cargo.
Well I know for sure that supplies left on a transport are not lost unless the transport is lost.
As for moving while loaded.. I was wrong. I just tried it in the game. I loaded an inf onto a transport and then next turn tried to move it and was not allowed to. Then I loaded supplies on a transport and waited to the next turn and was not able to move it loaded.
Which brings up some questions about other posts. I was wrong because I assumed (I know, I know [:'(]) that it could be done from other posts having never tried it myself. I always use strings of transports to move units or supplies. This means that to supply a fleet far at sea you need a chain of transports witht eh last on in the same region as the fleet. Then move a supply along the chain until it stops at the transport with the fleet. Does anyone KNOW any different?
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:40 pm
by artgrtr8u
Maintaining those transport chains must be what makes all those little Pacific islands (Wake, Midway, etc.) worth having. Build up supply depots and shorten your fleet supply lines.
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:58 pm
by Toby42
If you can't move a loaded transport, why are they allowed to be loaded? That doesn't make sense[&:]
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:15 pm
by IDrinkBeer
ORIGINAL: Treale
If you can't move a loaded transport, why are they allowed to be loaded? That doesn't make sense[&:]
You can't move the transport on the turn that you load it. You must wait until the next turn to move it normally.
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:18 pm
by Barthheart
ORIGINAL: IDrinkBeer
ORIGINAL: Treale
If you can't move a loaded transport, why are they allowed to be loaded? That doesn't make sense[&:]
You can't move the transport on the turn that you load it. You must wait until the next turn to move it normally.
IDB, I just tried this (see above) and it doesn't let me move a loaded transport.
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:18 pm
by artgrtr8u
BarthHeart posted:
As for moving while loaded.. I was wrong. I just tried it in the game. I loaded an inf onto a transport and then next turn tried to move it and was not allowed to. Then I loaded supplies on a transport and waited to the next turn and was not able to move it loaded.
Have you actually been able to move a previously loaded transport?
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:00 pm
by Pocus
so the fleet oiler concept is void?
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:18 pm
by Toby42
Now I'm really getting confused [X(] And that generally doesn't take very much...
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:36 pm
by Uncle_Joe
I noticed the same thing. I loaded Transport with an Infantry for East Africa (as Germany) and was never again able to move it regardless of whether I was in supply or not. I just chalked it up to me doing something incorrectly.
It does appear that this might be a bug or a 'leftover' feature. If the Transport can indeed never move while loaded, why be allowed to load at all?
One thing to note is that I have sunk Allied Transports in the middle of the Atlantic and received a battle report that I kill a Transport and 'x' Supplies so they got it out there SOMEHOW.
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:16 pm
by Joel Billings
Let me try to clear things up. Transports don't move with cargo in this game. They serve as the mechanism that allows units to move over sea areas. Once something has moved over a transport (or stopped on it), the transport is frozen. Transports represent the setting up of convoy lanes. This is not Axis and Allies. Transports don't move with cargo loaded on them. The cargo moves over the line of transports. Transports can be useful for helping to keep fleets supplied that are far away from a friendly land area. Cargo left on a transport remains there unless the transport is sunk. So you could move a fleet several spaces from land and set up a chain of transports to that fleet. Next move some supplies along the chain and leave them on the transport in the area with the fleet. If the fleet is attacked, the supplies that are at sea will supply the fleet. They will also be there the next turn to supply fleet movement as long as the transport was not sunk. Of course, the transport will be stuck in this region (since it has cargo), so you cannot plan on moving the transport somewhere else. This is the difference between raiding an area (moving in, attacking and moving back home during the same turn) and sustained operations where you have a transport (or more than one) containing supplies and plan on protecting the transport (your at sea depot). I hope this helps.
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:18 pm
by Barthheart
Thanks Joel.[&o]
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:21 pm
by artgrtr8u
Thanks Joel, that helps, although it does raise some questions about the differences between merchant convoys and amphibious landing craft, but I'll leave it alone, I think it's more or less discussed in some other threads.
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:27 pm
by IDrinkBeer
ORIGINAL: Joel Billings
Let me try to clear things up. Transports don't move with cargo in this game. They serve as the mechanism that allows units to move over sea areas. Once something has moved over a transport (or stopped on it), the transport is frozen. Transports represent the setting up of convoy lanes. This is not Axis and Allies. Transports don't move with cargo loaded on them. The cargo moves over the line of transports. Transports can be useful for helping to keep fleets supplied that are far away from a friendly land area. Cargo left on a transport remains there unless the transport is sunk. So you could move a fleet several spaces from land and set up a chain of transports to that fleet. Next move some supplies along the chain and leave them on the transport in the area with the fleet. If the fleet is attacked, the supplies that are at sea will supply the fleet. They will also be there the next turn to supply fleet movement as long as the transport was not sunk. Of course, the transport will be stuck in this region (since it has cargo), so you cannot plan on moving the transport somewhere else. This is the difference between raiding an area (moving in, attacking and moving back home during the same turn) and sustained operations where you have a transport (or more than one) containing supplies and plan on protecting the transport (your at sea depot). I hope this helps.
[X(] I stand corrected. My bad. 20 lashes with a wet noodle... [:D]
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:38 pm
by Toby42
So there is not a reason to load a land unit on a transport, unless you are planning to create a chain to a location???
RE: transports
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:14 pm
by Pocus
ok, that was a pretty clear explaination. Ok for this fleet oiler concept too, I now know that they can be used, but cant be moved.
to Treale: no there is no reasons. When you move a unit by sea, it is expected that you land it on the land in the very same turn. If you see supplies or units stucks at sea belonging to the AI, this is because the AI will leave at sea units that have hit a bottleneck in the transport chain, but I dont think players will do that very often.