Page 1 of 1

Invincible WA Manchurian Haven

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:06 am
by solops
I posted this over in the "Patch 1.1 Request" thread, but I'd probably better post it here, too.

I have discovered a serious problem with Manchurian and Korean ownership that verges on being a "bug".

It is Spring 1948. Japan was conquered by WA in Fall 1947. Germany took Vladivostok in Winter 1947 leaving USSR with only the two Iranian provinces. When WA took Tokyo the Manchurian and Korean provinces became "Green" WA territories with the Japanese surrender. Now, when Germany attacks and captures these WA provinces they immediately revert to being unoccupied Japanese territories and the victorious German units disappear! Since there is no hope of Japan generating an army to hold these provinces the WA can back jump in and stage into German held USSR territories with impunity, since Germany cannot counterattack and make Manchuria/Korea German and will lose more armies if they try.

This is a major problem.

RE: Invincible WA Manchurian Haven

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:16 am
by Barthheart
This is not a bug and is working as designed. Major powers cannot occupy lands owned, not occupied, by their allies. This means that the WA cannot occupy Russian provences either, which made Paul very anger in our Gold PBEM game.

RE: Invincible WA Manchurian Haven

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:23 am
by solops
So as I attack through China, the WA cannot hit me with ground troops from Manchuria and survive. But, they can bomb the heck out of my Siberian and Chinese conquests (infrastructure & units) from an impregnable haven (?). All I can do is bomb them in return, a losing proposition since their aircraft will be the only worthwhile targets.

This is going to be a challenging artifice to work around.

RE: Invincible WA Manchurian Haven

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:42 am
by Joel Billings
Ideally, once a country surrenders, it should not be able to be liberated and would be able to be occupied by the Ally that took the area. That part we may be able to change but we'll have to look into that.

RE: Invincible WA Manchurian Haven

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:49 am
by Paul Vebber
Maybe if there are no more Soviet controlled provinces it could work the same (since you can't liberate the SU, it similarly makes no sense to forbid the WA to enter a conquered SU either...) Looking into this would be GREAT [&o][&o]

RE: Invincible WA Manchurian Haven

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:57 pm
by solops
Thinking through this...the entire Sino-Russian-Manchurian border is a "dead zone" with Japan surrendered and the USSR occupied by Germany.

China cannot attack and keep ex-USSR provinces.
WA cannot attack and keep ex-USSR provinces (from Manchuria).
Germany cannot attack and keep ex-Japanese provinces (Manchuria & Korea).

The only movement possible is if Germany wants to invade China from its Siberian Sanctuary.

Otherwise it is just a great, long air war in which only Germany and China have much to lose.

The only good thing about this is that this situation will seldom occur during the normal course of a game restricted to the historical WWII time-frame.

RE: Invincible WA Manchurian Haven

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:00 pm
by artgrtr8u
I experienced this same issue. I was frustrated that I couldn't occupy Manchuria as I wanted to use it to get to China, but I did notice that my attacking units didn't disappear, they just retreated back to the territory they attacked from.

RE: Invincible WA Manchurian Haven

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:05 am
by Espejo
[:)] Only one question. Why is there this rule at all that it is impossible to put american soldiers in rusian provinces for example? I was reading although the AAR thread and the WA were unable to lauch an attack through "formerly" SU provinces. At first glance it feels wrong somehow.