Page 1 of 1

Invasion Norway

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:20 am
by jjwi
Just noticed in my invasion of norway with a paradrop and infantry that all land units involved in combat with other land units get -4 for their defense rating. I understand about the negation to evasion and attack ratings but could not find any info on this. If anyone knows please enlighten me.

RE: Invasion Norway

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:05 am
by jjwi
Sorry I should have said -4 from there base defense total

RE: Invasion Norway

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:10 am
by aletoledo
good question! I just tested it and you're right.

there are attack modifiers for land to land and rough terrain.
there is the evasion modifier for a previously attacked unit.
PLUS there is a defense modifier of -4 against both sides!?!?

I didn't see anything in the manual about defence die roll modifiers. it only talks about evasion modifiers and attack die modifiers.

RE: Invasion Norway

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:06 am
by Joel Billings
Units doing amphibious invasions are -1 to evasion (net -4 to defense since they have a 4 durability). Airborne units are considered unsupplied during airdrops and are also -1 (net -4). Norway's unit is probably -4 due to being bombed by planes or ships in the turn. Once attacked, it loses -1 to evasion for the rest of the combat's during the turn, so when the ground unit attacks it it will be down as well.

There are defense modifiers (which are shown in the pop up text on the combat report screen that reduce the net defense value) and there are things that can adjust the die roll as well (these are shown on the combat report screen itself). It's all described in the one section of the manual that covers combat modifiers, although I admit this can be very confusing.

RE: Invasion Norway

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:41 am
by aletoledo
ok, thanks joel (once again). the modifier that we missed was the amphibous -1 to evasion.

RE: Invasion Norway

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:32 am
by Dalwin
I have always done Norway on the first turn with 1 lone infantry supported by ship bombardment. SO far I am 3 for 3 in succeeding that way.

I then reinforce with a second infantry immediately to control partisans. Later I add a bomber and maybe a fleet or two to cut the Northern lend lease route and just attrit the WA transports in general.

RE: Invasion Norway

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:56 pm
by MrQuiet
A nice addition in the combat report screen would be to have a single character 'code' next to the modifiers to clue the user in quicker as to what caused the modification. I always figure it out eventualy but a code would help a lot for people who actualy study the results of those darn dice.

Also if the math could be shown that decides the number of ships and the range of the naval battles that would be appreciated also.

Awesome Game
-MrQuiet

RE: Invasion Norway

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:33 am
by Grotius
I agree, MrQuiet. I'm delighted that the developers have given us much detail as they have -- it's great to see the die rolls. But I often find myself scrutinizing the popups to try to reconstruct why the modifiers were applied.