Page 1 of 1
increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:44 pm
by batou
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has tried to research the anti-sub attack of transports for the WAllies. I was thinking about doing it to counter the German sub threat, instead of researching it for light and heavy fleets. Any thoughts? Is this a stupid idea?
-jim
RE: increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:56 pm
by Dalwin
I wouldn't say it is a stupid idea, but considering the very large number of tranports, it might not be a very cost effective one.
RE: increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:22 pm
by Paul Vebber
I didi it in the Gold pbem game - only because my transport fleet was waxed so bad it was afordable [:o]
Not sure if it did much good. I like making CV air the prime ASW arm - trying to get it to 3 and backing them up with light fleets at 2. That way a CV air attack has a good chance of success outright, and if they miss, then the light fleets can go in against the reduced evaision survivors and have a good chance of success with 2 dice.
RE: increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:25 pm
by batou
I agree, it'll cost a lot of research points. However, if all my transports have a anti-sub capability of 2, they as an aggregate will be a sub killing machine, no?
I guess one part of my question is; what is the chance to hit for a transport with anti-sub attack of 2, attacking a sub with evasion of 3 and durability of 2? I read that it is ~70%. Is this true?
RE: increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:15 pm
by reznap
I tried to research the evasion of Transports but my Transports still got slaughtered

RE: increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:30 pm
by batou
ORIGINAL: reznap
I tried to research the evasion of Transports but my Transports still got slaughtered
Do you have any idea why you weren't hitting the subs??
RE: increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:11 am
by Barthheart
Evasion is not for hitting just dodging. If his evasion rating is boosted it makes him harder to hit but dose not affect his ability to hit back.
RE: increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:34 am
by Paul Vebber
what is the chance to hit for a transport with anti-sub attack of 2, attacking a sub with evasion of 3 and durability of 2? I read that it is ~70%. Is this true?
Using my handy dandy hit chnace table 2 dice firing at a sub with evasion of 3 and durability of 2 (though I think German subs have a durability of 3) would be rolling a 6 or better on 2 dice - indeed a 72.2% chance.
I think German sub durability is 3, evasion 3 should give a defense of 9 or only a 27.8% chance on 2 dice. At least for teh first shot, if you have multiple shooters, the subsequent attackes would be shooting at defense 6 and would have the 72.2% chance. That is why it is so important for germany to get to evasion 4 of its subs - as 12 defense is only a 2.8% chance on 2 dice and 37.6 on three.
RE: increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:49 pm
by Graymane
Evasion is a waste of time for WA transports, you have way, way too many to research effectively (unless you go out and get them all killed). It will easily cost 20+ points per evasion point. To be effective, you'd need to research at least 2-3 levels of evasion. That just isn't realistic. It is better to just to put the points in something like torp attack for all fleets and just sink the axis.
RE: increase transport anti-sub attack?
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:17 pm
by reznap
My U-boats' Attack & Evasion are both 4 now. Once 1 U-boat got attacked by 3 destroyers. It survived and damaged a destroyer. Another time 3 U-boats get attacked by 7 destroyers. The result was 1:1 (both damaged).
So if you can reach >4 Evasion for your subs (I will have 5 Evasion next turn), your subs will be almost invincible.[:D]
ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber
what is the chance to hit for a transport with anti-sub attack of 2, attacking a sub with evasion of 3 and durability of 2? I read that it is ~70%. Is this true?
Using my handy dandy hit chnace table 2 dice firing at a sub with evasion of 3 and durability of 2 (though I think German subs have a durability of 3) would be rolling a 6 or better on 2 dice - indeed a 72.2% chance.
I think German sub durability is 3, evasion 3 should give a defense of 9 or only a 27.8% chance on 2 dice. At least for teh first shot, if you have multiple shooters, the subsequent attackes would be shooting at defense 6 and would have the 72.2% chance. That is why it is so important for germany to get to evasion 4 of its subs - as 12 defense is only a 2.8% chance on 2 dice and 37.6 on three.