Page 1 of 1
Playing without sound card SPWAW v6.1
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 7:09 pm
by color
Hi
Recently bought the Mega Campaign # 1,
and the only computer I have access to that is up to the job (and the disk space) is my work computer. But it has no sound card.
Is there any way of playing SPWaW without a sound card?
Anyway why on earth did the Matrix guys put this limitation into the game?
Does not make any sense to me.
Color
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 7:23 pm
by Paul Vebber
The game can't be played without a sound card. I don't know the specifics of why, but that's the way it is!
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:29 pm
by KG Erwin
Since we're on sound cards (or the lack of), I seem to remember a topic on Soundblaster Live cards causing problems for running SPWaW. I'm considering a sound card upgrade, so are there other cards that cause problems for the game? I know, this topic properly belongs in the Tech Support area.
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 10:16 pm
by Mumdaan
I posted in the thread about the SBLive problems and the screeching sound problem back around v501 or so. I commented on problems with other gamesand the SBLive as well - so as an update, here's what i know now:
I replaced the SBLive x-gamer (in 2 seperate PCs, both of which had sound problems) with SB 512s (available at yer local Wal-mart for about $50us) These cards have almost identical performance specs and support for EAX as the Live cards, but do it in a slightly different manner.
Result - NO screeching in SPWAW, no mss32.dll crashes in other games since.
I could be wrong (have been many times

but on my systems it looks like problem solved.
ps - i would have tried a turtle beach if they were sold locally but the sb512 worked out great.
Mum
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 10:42 pm
by Lars Remmen
Hello,
I use the SB512 and get the screeching noise sometimes. Had some trouble getting the card to work with the VIA chipset in my new PC but the latest 4in1 drivers took care of that problem. Also, the SB512 only supports EAX not A3D.
Regards,
Lars
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 8:58 pm
by AlvinS
I use the SB Value 64 with a Dell PIII 500 and win98 and have no trouble with SPWAW, however,all of my dos versions of SP 1, 2 and 3 have a screeching problem. That same card on an older machine under win95 gave me no trouble with older versions of SP. Maybe its a combination of sound card and OS version.
Alvins
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 9:52 pm
by Supervisor
The updated stereo sound files should have cured most if not all problems with SB live sound cards!
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 2:02 am
by Hot Shot
I have a SB Live value and I don't have any problems with SPWAW in WIN98 and WIN2000, and now with stereo enhancements the sound is perfect
(I have a Intel BX based mobo)
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:01 am
by Greg McCarty
Originally posted by Hot Shot:
I have a SB Live value and I don't have any problems with SPWAW in WIN98 and WIN2000, and now with stereo enhancements the sound is perfect
(I have a Intel BX based mobo)
---------------------------------------------I'm using an SB Live XGamer. If anything, the sound environment files available in this
card enhance the hell out the already great
SPwaw stereo files. I haven't had a scrap of
trouble over the course of many months. I can
(for example) emulate a forest sound background over the top of the game sound files. The EAX feature works well too. I
really don't know why people have struggled with this card. It has some great features.