Page 1 of 1
game crashes at startup
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:08 am
by cptracks
I have installed ggwaw plaus the patch. Start menu & music runs fine. Goes to loading bar and then black screen. Then I get a windows error message, problem with .exe file. I have tried to copy the technical part of it without success. If I try to send the error message to billy & co, its veery slow with cpu at 100% for a bit, then everything processes. Dxdiag attached; I suspect old graphic card.
RE: game crashes at startup
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:46 am
by Marc von Martial
Please make sure you run latest drivers for the ATI graphic card and the SB Live! sound card.
RE: game crashes at startup
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:23 am
by cptracks
Hmmm, I just learned something. Just replying to your message from my email does not seem to be working. In reply, I have updated the ATI & SB drivers, did it before I installed the game, checking both the respective sites and Microsoft. All solemnly assured me that I have the latest drivers. [&:] I've been folowwing this game for quite a while and can't wait to get into it.
RE: game crashes at startup
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:58 am
by Marc von Martial
You have indeed the latest ATI drivers, but since they´re from 2001 I would assume that the card is too old and does not support DirectX 9 properly.
I can´t acess the Creative / Soundblaster site right now to double check the sound drivers. Will do later.
RE: game crashes at startup
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:01 pm
by cptracks
Yes, I wondered if it was old age creeping in. The ATI has been getting a little buggy lately, nothing major, just little annoying errors. But I thought it could maybe work for this game since it seems to meet specs. I think I am going to contact ATI and see how they feel about this card and DirectX 9. Assuming it is the card's age and a wave of the old magic wand isn't going to fix it, what would you suggest as a replacement given my system?
RE: game crashes at startup
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:18 pm
by cptracks
[:)] Marc;
Just to Keep you updated. Talking to ATI about my card was a waste of time and effort for no reply. So I went out and checked what was likely to work best with my 1.1 G Thunderbird. Settled on an ATI Radeon 9500 (fortunately have 4xAGP, gad I'm learning a lot). Game would now load but with corrupted graphics. Initially starts well, then the pop ups corrupt, then everything else. Reset to low graphics, window mode in preferences as per techie support suggestion. Game now appears to work OK, although I have gotten one time where the graphics corrupted. This was when the computer had been running for a while and several different users/programs had run. It does not appear to be an issue if the computer has just started up, so I suspect a registry issue, which would not surprise me. I have yet to play very much, still feeling my way through movement & combat mechanics only. I will let you know once everything is up and running. vSo far so good, I think.[:D]
Colin
RE: game crashes at startup
Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:09 am
by cptracks
Marc
I cannot get through a turn without pixelation. Playing in windowed mode, low graphics, no video. Game will start clean and the pixelate. Usually starts with popups but it can also show up when panning the map. This is very irritating. I am about ready to call it a day. Latest dxdiag attached.
RE: game crashes at startup
Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:54 pm
by Marc von Martial
tm.asp?m=842081
2by3 Games is working on it
RE: game crashes at startup
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:05 pm
by Joel Billings
Please check out the thread that Marc referenced above. That's where we will be responding to this pixelation problem. Hopefully Keith can find a solution to it but it may require some help from those experiencing the problem.