Page 1 of 1

Anyone tried WaW on a 256MB RAM machine?

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:20 pm
by Executioner Five
I currently have a XP2400 Athlon, with 256MB of RAM and a FX5200 GeForce video card. Have a gift card to EB, and was wondering if anyone had tried running the game with 256 MB of RAM (yes, I know the requirements say 512MB :))

RE: Anyone tried WaW on a 256MB RAM machine?

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:18 pm
by SeaMonkey
Exe 5,

I have 384 megs and a 64 meg graphics card and have been running fine, one lockup. Be sure and use the low resolution graphics. Only other thing I have noticed is the game music skips on loading a save or starting a new game and a little intermittent scrolling problems, but nothing major.

RE: Anyone tried WaW on a 256MB RAM machine?

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:50 pm
by Tac2i
If you are running WaW on a low end machine and/or below the recommend requirements, be sure to close all other running applications. If you are familar with stopping services (on Win2K/WinXP), stop all nonessential services. I'd also recommend turning off the music. Lastly, get more ram. It rather cheap and the single best thing you can do to improve performance on an existing system.

----------------------------
Roy, old wargamers never die

RE: Anyone tried WaW on a 256MB RAM machine?

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:16 pm
by von_Schmidt
Compaq Laptop, P3 (1 Ghz)
16 Mb graphics (don't laugh)
256 MB RAM

Set game up to run using low-res graphics, windowed, no sounds, limited animations, no combat anim.

I am pretty sure that the sounds put quite a load on the system.

Played a game for 2 hours at a stretch and no lock-ups.
YMMV.

Regards,

von Schmidt

============
"The fierce glory that plays on red, triumphant bayonets dazzles the observer, nor does he care to look behind to where along a thousand miles of rail, road, and river, the convoys are crawling to the front in unnoticed succession"

-- Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill,
The River War (1899)

RE: Anyone tried WaW on a 256MB RAM machine?

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:37 pm
by 5cats
Does snickering count as laughter? (j/k!)
I run a 600mhz AMD Duron
512 MB Ram
256 MB Video card
on-board sound (it refused to allow a sound card, weird eh?)
Windows ME
It runs really well for me :) Although it used to freeze up when the Partisan explosion sound effect came on, but that was on High graphics. I've since switched sound effects off & to low graphics.