Page 1 of 1

blitzing bug

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:38 pm
by daikyu
As Germany.

I attacked 1 space away with combined arms and won the battle. I then proceeded to move a tank unit to an adjacent empty space to occupy it. When clicking on the fight battle button nothing happened. The space was still shown the the battle marker and I could pop up the fight battle button again and again.

I tried to end the turn and was told that there was still a battle left to fight and taken to the space.

After repeatedly pressing the end turn button I moved to the production phase but now the tank unit was destroyed and I did not control the empty space.

RE: blitzing bug

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:44 pm
by hakon
Except for you being able to move into that second area on the first place (your unit had already attacked during the turn so you are not allowed to make another attack), this is WAD, i think.

RE: blitzing bug

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:34 am
by WanderingHead
ORIGINAL: hakon

Except for you being able to move into that second area on the first place (your unit had already attacked during the turn so you are not allowed to make another attack), this is WAD, i think.

I think that tanks are allowed to progress after battle into an empty space.

Could be worth specifying where the empty space was. I imagine it could be possible for there to be a bug if you moved into an empty space that would instantly generate militia and therefore require combat. But if you were German then this would not be Russia, it could be China.


RE: blitzing bug

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:18 pm
by Barthheart
This problem will be fixed in the next patch. You will not be able to take enemy territory with a armour that has already attacked.

RE: blitzing bug

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:15 pm
by daikyu
This was as Germany attacking into russia. If I remember correctly the first attack was Grozny and the empty space was the Caucasus.

I think that a tank should be able to take an empty space after combat. Wasn't that part of the whole bitzkreig strategy? A localized breakthrough and then exploit the breach in the line?

RE: blitzing bug

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:56 pm
by von_Schmidt
If you plan on an armored breakthrough like that, do not use the panzers in the first combat but hold them back for the exploit.

Remember: even taking an empty province counts as combat; after all, the unit uses up time and supplies moving and suppressing local (ie invisible at this scale) resistance.

The only exception is amphibious assault, where a single unit can invade time and time again in the turn - as long as there is no combat with an enemy unit involved.

von Schmidt
=========
"The fierce glory that plays on red, triumphant bayonets dazzles the observer, nor does he care to look behind to where along a thousand miles of rail, road, and river, the convoys are crawling to the front in unnoticed succession"

-- Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill,
The River War (1899)


RE: blitzing bug

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:28 pm
by celebrindal
ORIGINAL: von_Schmidt

The only exception is amphibious assault, where a single unit can invade time and time again in the turn - as long as there is no combat with an enemy unit involved.

von Schmidt

I tried that with the japanese the other day, exactly how does that work? Thanks.

RE: blitzing bug

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:44 pm
by 5cats
Well, you get you transports in place, then hop an infantry (or militia for that matter) onto an empty enemy island (or coast). The invasion takes 1 supply btw. Then look at the infantry you used. He's "in supply" but has not done his combat (no green crosshairs).
Then simply move him to another empty enemy island & repeat! With Japan you only need 1 transport per invasion, which is extra-sweet. I try to use him to invade an enemy position held by a militia as his last invasion :)