Uninstall Bug and what NOT to do
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:00 pm
Here is a bug report and a tale of woe ....
Needed to make room on the drive for my laptop. This was intended to be a temporary effort for a couple of weeks. Decided to remove WaW and reload down the road. Went to Add/Remove programs. Found GGWaW and tried to remove, however it would not work. Was not looking for the unistall folder as a sub folder to WaW (which is where it is at). It was looking for it at the same level as the WaW folder. This is the bug report.
Now for the tale of woe. Since GGWaW wanted the uninstall folder one level up, I obliged and moved it. Then went to add/remove programs. Click and got the GGWaW uninstall window (I'm so smart). Click go .....
It informed me that it successfully uninstalled GGWaW. Only one little problem ....
It uninstalled EVERYTHING at the same folder level as GGWaW.
Good bye WitP ......
Good bye BiN .....
Good bye atemp folder (contained ALL my working files).
So other than there is some stupidity on my part, I'd like to say a very special thank you go Gary, Joel, and the guys at Matrix for generating such a lethal, nuclear tipped
uninstall. Now it will be argued that I shouldn't haved move the unistall folder. Fair
enough, BUT, I shouldn't have been put into this position.
For now, I'm going to go find a sharp sword to fall on [:@]
Needed to make room on the drive for my laptop. This was intended to be a temporary effort for a couple of weeks. Decided to remove WaW and reload down the road. Went to Add/Remove programs. Found GGWaW and tried to remove, however it would not work. Was not looking for the unistall folder as a sub folder to WaW (which is where it is at). It was looking for it at the same level as the WaW folder. This is the bug report.
Now for the tale of woe. Since GGWaW wanted the uninstall folder one level up, I obliged and moved it. Then went to add/remove programs. Click and got the GGWaW uninstall window (I'm so smart). Click go .....
It informed me that it successfully uninstalled GGWaW. Only one little problem ....
It uninstalled EVERYTHING at the same folder level as GGWaW.
Good bye WitP ......
Good bye BiN .....
Good bye atemp folder (contained ALL my working files).
So other than there is some stupidity on my part, I'd like to say a very special thank you go Gary, Joel, and the guys at Matrix for generating such a lethal, nuclear tipped
uninstall. Now it will be argued that I shouldn't haved move the unistall folder. Fair
enough, BUT, I shouldn't have been put into this position.
For now, I'm going to go find a sharp sword to fall on [:@]