Page 1 of 1

spontaneous reboots in WinXP Pro

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:16 am
by issacbrock
I have a rebooting issue. My PC is ok on all other software so far but not this game, It will reboot my system every time randomly during the 1st tutorial.

The temp and fans seem ok according to Asus probe.

I tried a full game. lasted 10 min. Had sound turned off as well as music and combat annimation. Turned the sound back up didn't seem to hurt it, but at about 10 min into the movement phase, REBOOT!

Seems like a buggy game to me.


RE: spontaneous reboots in WinXP Pro

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:49 am
by Joel Billings
Do you have a legitimate purchased copy of the game? Had to ask. There may be some protection for illegal copies.

RE: spontaneous reboots in WinXP Pro

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:06 am
by Erik Rutins
A machine reboot is rarely software-related, unfortunately. Usually this is either a serious operating system conflict or a bad piece of hardware. How is your video card doing? I would double-check (if it has a fan) that it is staying cool while running the game. What about system memory (i.e. could it have a bad stick of RAM) - do you run any other games or applications that use a lot?

Regards,

- Erik

RE: spontaneous reboots in WinXP Pro

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:03 am
by Marc von Martial
could be a s simple as some dust causing overheating. Or a weak power supply. Sudden reboots without any blue-screen are for most of the part heat or energy related.

RE: spontaneous reboots in WinXP Pro

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:28 am
by issacbrock
Fair question, yes the game is legit, just bought it on Saturday the 7th at Future Shop.

I've been recording fan speeds, temperatures and voltages through Asus probe for a couple of days. The cpu temp was initially in the 47C to 52C range but however has dropped to an idle temp of approx 37C with the side panel off. I haven't been around to actually use the machine however.

I checked all the fans including the video card, all seem good and strong.

I will blow out the fans and heat sinks to be sure of dust related issues.

As well I purchased a new Xconnect 400W psu that I will install as soon as I have the time, then I will try the game again and monitor with Asus probe.

As far as memory, I've been playing HL2, Doom3, BF1942 etc for ages with no issues but you never know.

Colin

RE: spontaneous reboots in WinXP Pro

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:44 am
by issacbrock
New PSU seems to have corrected the rebooting issue, go figure! Coincidental hardware malfunction.

Colin

RE: spontaneous reboots in WinXP Pro

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:56 am
by Marc von Martial
It was probably that the old one was simply to weak for your overall Pc config. I had the same issue with HL2.

good to have you running.