Page 1 of 1

A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:38 pm
by Badbonez
I am playing a PBEM game as Axis and my opponent invaded Vichy France with a half dozen transports sitting in the western med. The next turn I counter-attacked and retook the territory (barely) but instead of his units retreating (through the transports) they were all destroyed. Plenty of other times I've seen units retreat from combat through transports, why not this time? WAllies do own Gibralter, and there are transports linking the western Med to the UK. What happened here?

I have the game saved after my counter-attack. I don't know if this was a bug and should be reported in the support forum? Or some rule I, and my oponent, are unaware of. Ideas?

Thanks.

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:40 pm
by Barthheart
Were all the units damaged? If so they are then damaged again for having to retreat via transports and would be destroyed.

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:46 pm
by Badbonez
Ahhh...it pays to RTFM. Yes, I believe I damaged or destroyed every unit that was in VIchy France. So units that retreat through transports become damaged, which would mean these were destroyed. The weird thing was that the game gave me the messsage "Unit unable to retreat" so that's what was confusing.

Thanks.

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:28 pm
by 5cats
Actually I think there were un-damaged infantry, but I didn't go searching to see if they (2 of them) survived or not.
Does this mean Militia cannot retreat? Across the sea I mean.

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:36 pm
by Barthheart
That's right, militia will die if retreating to the sea.... important safety tip.[:-]

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:17 pm
by Joel Billings
Actually, if you have a save just before the combat, or can set it up again, that would be very helpful. Something isn't quite right here. If you have units forced to retreat over transports, they should be damaged (but damaged units should not be further damaged). I just did a test where the both the damaged and undamaged units retreated over a transport and went back to factories as they should, but I did not get the "unable to retreat" message. If you were getting this message then I think that is a bug. Are you using the 1.016 patch?

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:31 pm
by Badbonez
Yes, 1.016. I found the email with that game turn and re-set the positions. You may have to attack a couple times, the odds are about 60%. Where do I send it?


RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:37 pm
by Joel Billings
Send it to 2by3@2by3games.com. Thanks.

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:41 pm
by MrQuiet
But did they have a retreat path to a factory? No factory on Gibralter. Dont they retreat one land teritory in the direction of a factory that they have a link to?

Just curious.

-MrQuiet

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:43 pm
by Joel Billings
Good point, if no link to a factory, they would die.

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:40 pm
by Badbonez
Still doesn't make sense. There was a clear path of transports to the UK. Why would they go to Gibralter and not the UK? I'll send the file shortly.