Page 1 of 1
Game does nothing from main page
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:00 pm
by gablack98
Ok I have just spent quite a large amount of time trying to play this game but nothing happens. When I first installed it the beginning video played but nothing else happened. I tried to fix this problem but now cannot get even the video to play. I click on the play button on the main screen and nothing happens whatsoever. I have spent quite a large amount of money upgrading my comp to play this game and need help to figure out what to do to play. Thanks
Garth
RE: Game does nothing from main page
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:06 pm
by Joel Billings
Sorry to hear you are having problems. The first step is to post a dxdiag from your computer (see the thread at the top of the support page for how to do that). This will give the tech support people information about your machine that will help them solve your problem.
RE: Game does nothing from main page
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:48 am
by gablack98
Here is my dxdiag
RE: Game does nothing from main page
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:41 am
by Joel Billings
Your report shows you have a very old 16MB video card with drivers from 2001. Your drivers on your sound device are also from 2001. The minimum spec for video card is 32 MB. Some people have reported success running the game on smaller cards, but I don't know about yours. Perhaps if there are newer drivers you can download you might get it to work.
You said you spent a lot upgrading your computer, but it appears you didn't upgrade the video card. I'm sorry it's not working for you and hope this helps.
RE: Game does nothing from main page
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:11 am
by von_Schmidt
What *might* help to compensate for the video card:
- run in windowed mode and lowres graphics (from within the game or with game shortcut properties:
"C:\...\Gary Grigsby's World At War\WaW.exe" -w -16)
- switch off all video's (I did that pre-emptively by renaming the '*intro*.wmv' in the video folder so they would not play when the game starts)
- switch off the combat animations
- switch off other players moves
Otherwise, in a 1.3Ghz, 600ram machine a 16MB videocard really is a bottleneck. It would really be worth you're while to upgrade that one.
Hope this helps.
RE: Game does nothing from main page
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:41 pm
by Erik Rutins
Agreed, please follow the previous suggestions.
The video card you have is not actually a separate card, but the default integrated video for your chipset if I'm reading it correctly. Even a <$50 video card will do much better for you in all games, what you have is really intended just for office applications and such.
Regards,
- Erik