Page 1 of 4
Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:17 pm
by Mr.Frag
This is not formal in any way shape or from so don't read anything into it. 2by3's schedule is already booked for quite some time to come with multiple games.
How many folks would seriously be interested in a PBEM ONLY version of War in the Pacific with expanded scope and detail? (ie: WitP II)
The limiting factor here is having a Computer Player means AI development which seriously limits the ability to move forward with the thousands of great suggestions that have been made. It also caps the scale as the lower the scale, the more computer processing power that it takes to have AI.
Prices are assumed to be in US Dollars so factor in your exchange rate in picking the option. Please be serious with your choice.
Due to some folks who don't understand the meaning of the forums posting rules, the content of this thread has been removed. Personal attacks on other members are unacceptable.
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:46 pm
by Oznoyng
Next time, can you restrict/kill the user's authority, edit their post, and leave the thread otherwise untouched?
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:54 pm
by ltfightr
To get back on topic. I voted for $150.00. I would be much more likley to buy it if it had a good user friendly editor and had the fewest amount possible of hard coded events.
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:57 pm
by wild_Willie2
I was already wondering WHEN the contents would be kicked...........[8|][8|][8|]
You where slow on this one Frag.............[;)]
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:14 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: ltfightr
To get back on topic. I voted for $150.00. I would be much more likley to buy it if it had a good user friendly editor and had the fewest amount possible of hard coded events.
To recap the previous discussion, now off in cyberspace, everyone without exception demanded an improved AI*!!![:D][:D][:D]
*exceptforthoseposterswhosaidthatadvancedAIisnotpossibleandweshouldjustforgettheentireideaofanimprovedAIforWITP2plustaxtagstitleyourmileagemayvaryoffervoidinTennesse.
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:18 pm
by Banquet
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: ltfightr
To get back on topic. I voted for $150.00. I would be much more likley to buy it if it had a good user friendly editor and had the fewest amount possible of hard coded events.
To recap the previous discussion, now off in cyberspace, everyone without exception demanded an improved AI*!!![:D][:D][:D]
*exceptforthoseposterswhosaidthatadvancedAIisnotpossibleandweshouldjustforgettheentireideaofanimprovedAIforWITP2plustaxtagstitleyourmileagemayvaryoffervoidinTennesse.
lol [:D]
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:33 pm
by Mr.Frag
Next time, can you restrict/kill the user's authority, edit their post, and leave the thread otherwise untouched?
Yea sure, in the other 168 hours a week I happen to have spare. [8|]
You where slow on this one Frag
Sad that it has to go down that path, I kept watching and hoping but nope, the flame bait was just too much and people took it.
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:34 pm
by DuckofTindalos
I'm taking my part of the blame for that; told myself I shouldn't get sucked in, but it can be difficult, as we saw so VERY clearly...
Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:31 pm
by Tristanjohn
Where were we? [:)]
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:37 pm
by Burzmali
Well, if you intend to increase the scope of the game (without AI), you are going to need something akin to macros, or the game is going to become a giant database manipulation exercise.
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:55 pm
by Bliztk
Well, we have the formulas from WitP, to ensure decent results (with tweaking of course).
But I guess that the Database and it`s related tools will be done from scratch, and with the benefit of the past experience (aka more slots, and autoerase of the empty slots to prevent corruption)
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:05 pm
by mc3744
Oh man!
I've been away two days and now this. What did I miss? What happened?
I always miss the juicy stuff [8|]
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:05 pm
by Brausepaul
ORIGINAL: Burzmali
Well, if you intend to increase the scope of the game (without AI), you are going to need something akin to macros, or the game is going to become a giant database manipulation exercise.
I agree, a(ny) future project definately has to be much more user friendly, less clicks, less text, more optical feedback (dumb example: TFs low on fuel have direct icon or an exclamation mark next to it or whatever). Maybe some kind of news system ("Factory at Sushi Jima can't produce because of fish shortage"). In terms of computer-user interaction all war games are a complete disaster.
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:08 pm
by wild_Willie2
Oh man!
I've been away two days and now this. What did I miss? What happened?
I always miss the juicy stuff
Only a 300 reply tread, wich got kicked due to improper language............[&o]
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:12 pm
by mc3744
I did post myself too on the thread, it was at the beginning, it looked normal enough.
Sounds like it went ballistic. How could it? A poll?
I mean it should be about how we like WitP. I'm confused [&:]
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:13 pm
by DuckofTindalos
I'm almost scared to try to summarise it for you. It might run away from us again [:)]
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:17 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: mc3744
Oh man!
I've been away two days and now this. What did I miss? What happened?
I always miss the juicy stuff [8|]
People got annoyed. Words were said, insults exchanged. They tried to cool it, but, it didn't cool...
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:28 pm
by BaitBoy
ORIGINAL: Burzmali
Well, if you intend to increase the scope of the game (without AI), you are going to need something akin to macros, or the game is going to become a giant database manipulation exercise.
Macros would be good.
I saw one game (I don't remember the name) that advertised the ability to draw directly on the game map, probably on an erasable layer. This would be a great addition to WitP2 as it would allow the player to delineate operational boundaries, anticipated routs of march (swim?), and generally make notes for himself.
I also reiterate my request to have something akin to Bodhi's WitP Utility added to the game.
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:28 pm
by Burzmali
ORIGINAL: Brausepaul
I agree, a(ny) future project definately has to be much more user friendly, less clicks, less text, more optical feedback (dumb example: TFs low on fuel have direct icon or an exclamation mark next to it or whatever). Maybe some kind of news system ("Factory at Sushi Jima can't produce because of fish shortage"). In terms of computer-user interaction all war games are a complete disaster.
Maybe not even to the point of user friendly-ness, but the last thing you should be doing while running a war is hand picking transports for speed and load size to invade a few piddlely islands while an army of panzers is rolling over your boys in Europe. Now, you might want to hand pick a fleet to carry out the Doolittle raid, but routine operations like ferrying supplies, and training pilots need cookie cuts that say "do this to each of these groups".
RE: Curiousity killed the cat!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:46 pm
by mc3744
Ok, anyway thanks everybody for trying to summarize.
I'm really amazed by the fact the some people manage to get angry in a game forum. [:-]
We should all be here for the fun of it and for the fun only. What's the point otherwise? [&:]
I'll forget about it, but I'm annoyed to have miss it because I'm somehow curious about how this could happen.
I guess I'll survive my curiosity [:)]