Page 1 of 1
American Civil War Naval
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:29 am
by sadja
Has Matrix ever thought about doing a ACW naval games on the lines of the old Yaquinto games of the 80s? loved the board game but a dice throwing nightmare. Rolled for each gun to hit,where it,penetration, damage ect.
Sadja
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:38 am
by bradfordkay
Boy, I loved Ironclads. I am with you 100%. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there are enough of us...
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:40 am
by sadja
Still have both Ironclads I and II, loved the hypothical French/ US fight in II. That Dundenburg sp? was a monster.
Sadja
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:09 am
by rhondabrwn
I remember "Ironclads" and had a copy. The river battles of the Civil War would make a great game topic.
I'm trying to fantasize riverine combat done in the fashion of the "Great Naval Battles" series with a player able to navigate his ships or actually "man the guns" or other stations. You could also man the batteries of the land fortifications.
Perhaps with a strategic campaign that would allow you to carry forward your ships from battle to battle and make decisions about sending them back for repairs or fighting them damaged. Perhaps some time constraints that would cost victory points for the Union player who held back? Optional Confederate vessels?
It could be fun... you guys aren't alone.
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:41 pm
by mogami
Hi, Don't forget to throw in the Hunley and the little torpedo boats.
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:50 pm
by Mr.Frag
Go mod Harpoon 3 [:D]
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:49 pm
by AbsntMndedProf
I'd love to see Matrix do any kind of naval strategy game. One with ironclads and sailing ships from the Civil War era would be great. As mentioned above, I don't know if there is enough of a market to support such an effort. [:(]
Eric Maietta
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:17 pm
by sadja
Make it and they will come.
Sadja
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:51 pm
by JD009
Correct, you just have to find your customer base.
Here in Virginia there are hordes of re-enactors who will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on their Civil War uniforms, weapons, acoutrements, etc.
All those guys you see in Battle of Gettysburg type movies are providing their own costumes and equipment.
I don't know too much about any Civil War Naval stuff re-enactors though, building an ironclad would be a touch expensive, even for these folks.
Civil war miniatures are big business in this area, but I don't know how much into computer games these folks are.
JD009
ORIGINAL: sadja
Make it and they will come.
Sadja
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:13 am
by Pippin
To many, Civil War Naval means watching a stale boring game of confederates sitting bottled up in port doing nothing. It did have its moments though.
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:42 pm
by elcidce
You should study Raphael Semmes and the CSS Alabama. He was finally caught off France after a long cruise of commerce raiding. That would make a great campaign!
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:57 am
by sadja
The river battles on the Mississippi,Tennesse, and battle of Moblie Bay. I'm not talking Strategy I'm talking tactical.
Sadja
One of my best battles was one with 3 gunboats apiece on a river. Lots of excitement and action.
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:40 am
by JD009
Tactical Civil War naval battles could be done very nicely following along the lines of Fighting Steel. That allows either a map view or a 3-D view. A combination of Fighting Steel and Ironclads would be very interesting, and a lot of fun. Manuvering ships along narrow rivers, trying to avoid running into each other and running aground, trying to bring your guns to bear on the target, could be a lot of fun.
(Fighting Steel is an older SSI game that is being kept alive via the Fighting Steel Project, people who are doing for Fighting Steel what others have done for Steel Panthers.)
Ironclads I&II cover a lot more than just the Civil War years, but a lot of the ships modeled in Ironclads never fired a shot in anger. They were build during relatively peace-able years among the major powers (I said relatively).
Civil War naval action is only of interest at the tactical level though I expect.
JD
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:18 am
by sadja
ORIGINAL: JD009
Tactical Civil War naval battles could be done very nicely following along the lines of Fighting Steel. That allows either a map view or a 3-D view. A combination of Fighting Steel and Ironclads would be very interesting, and a lot of fun. Manuvering ships along narrow rivers, trying to avoid running into each other and running aground, trying to bring your guns to bear on the target, could be a lot of fun.
(Fighting Steel is an older SSI game that is being kept alive via the Fighting Steel Project, people who are doing for Fighting Steel what others have done for Steel Panthers.)
Ironclads I&II cover a lot more than just the Civil War years, but a lot of the ships modeled in Ironclads never fired a shot in anger. They were build during relatively peace-able years among the major powers (I said relatively).
Civil War naval action is only of interest at the tactical level though I expect.
JD
Fighting would be with wooden gunboats as well as ironclads. The wooden ships were not sa fragile as what happened at Hampton roads. A Mobile Bay the Union frigates even rammed the Tennesse. She took on the whole Union fleet by herself as was overwhelmed. The river fight at memphis between the Confederate cotton clads and the Union Ironclads may have been different if the Eastport had been there.
There are all kinds of what if? things that can be done. Campaings modled like Steele Panthers would be great. The Ironclads game had one series with the Arkansas comming down the river through the Union fleet to Vicksburg.
I believe people would like it and could be a good game.
Sadja
RE: American Civil War Naval
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:23 am
by sadja
I want to keep this on page one, also does anybody know if Yaquainto even exsist any more and dure the copyrights on the game fall off. Does a game engine have a copy right? A bunch of the ship data is modled in the ironclads game.
Sadja