Page 1 of 1

Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:46 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,

In my latest PBEM (against Oleg) I noticed that several times my damaged WA units (both land and air) went to USA (that is still politically "frozen) for repairs instead of my other countries/regions that are not politically "frozen".

Since I use both British and USA icons I immediately saw what was happening (if I would use just single allied icon this might have slipped by unnoticed)!

Please note that when repaired I can't (of course) move them (because of "frozen" region).

Is that OK? Should this happen?


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:53 pm
by Tac2i
I believe the last patch work this problem such that units should only retreat to a frozen zone as a last resort (i.e they would have been destroyed otherwise).

RE: Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:00 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Webizen

I believe the last patch work this problem such that units should only retreat to a frozen zone as a last resort (i.e they would have been destroyed otherwise).

Hmmm... dunno...

The combat was in Egypt (Cairo) and Med is closed by Axis.

Why would units from there go to USA and not to near by India or Australia (or for that matters UK around Africa which is similar distance as USA over Pacific)?


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:03 am
by Joel Billings
Units will generally go back to factories with their nationality (units have a nationality that you don't see). Since there shouldn't be any US units in combat early on, I'm surprised to hear of units going back to these frozen areas. Keith has worked on a bug where units were retreating to frozen areas instead of non-frozen areas that were available. This was supposedly fixed in 1.033 but was not fully fixed and should be fixed in the next patch. However, damaged units is a different issue. We will need a save "before and after the bug" to confirm that something wrong is going on and be able to fix it. If you've got saves, send them to mbuttazoni@matrixgames.com. Thanks.

RE: Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:00 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Units will generally go back to factories with their nationality (units have a nationality that you don't see). Since there shouldn't be any US units in combat early on, I'm surprised to hear of units going back to these frozen areas. Keith has worked on a bug where units were retreating to frozen areas instead of non-frozen areas that were available. This was supposedly fixed in 1.033 but was not fully fixed and should be fixed in the next patch. However, damaged units is a different issue. We will need a save "before and after the bug" to confirm that something wrong is going on and be able to fix it. If you've got saves, send them to mbuttazoni@matrixgames.com. Thanks.

RGR and thanks for info!

I was playing PBEM with Oleg (he is BETA tester) and we will try to find the SAVE files...


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:45 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,

Joel, I, unfortunately, was unable to find the SAVE files for issue I described... sorry... [:(] I still hope that Oleg (my PBEM opponent) would find them in his mailbox trash...

BTW, now the more I think of this I am 99% sure that unit(s) in question were not originally WA (Western Allies)!

Let me explain a bit: when Oleg conquered Spain the Spanish fighter unit escaped to Canary islands and then turned itself into WA fighter. I transported that fighter to Egypt and it is very possible that exactly that fighter got damaged and send to USA because Spain didn't exist any more... IMHO this would be plausible explanation...

Nonetheless I still consider that USA should have not destination for repair because it was still frozen at time and therefore the unit is effectively lost for further combat (i.e. until USA joins in but when Axis go for VP "Auto Victory" this, of course, never happens)...

Hope this helps a bit (until SAVE files are found)!


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:42 pm
by vlale
I have a save of the above problem. ill send it to Maurice, actually he has it but ill resend it, cuz i send that in regards to another bug. Ahh, 5th bugfile of the week, getting closer to that award. Attn: Joel, [:D]
http://www.matrixgames.com/default.asp? ... umid%3D105

Kind regards,

Rasmus

RE: Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:03 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: vlale

I have a save of the above problem. ill send it to Maurice, actually he has it but ill resend it, cuz i send that in regards to another bug. Ahh, 5th bugfile of the week, getting closer to that award. Attn: Joel, [:D]
http://www.matrixgames.com/default.asp? ... umid%3D105

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Good (and thanks)!


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:07 pm
by Joel Billings
Keith confirmed that neutral countries that convert to WA do so with their old nationality. So you have Spanish units fighting for the WA. When damaged, since there are no Spanish factories, they will go to any WA factory that is considered the best to go to (probably highest available factory points). Thus they go to the US which usually have a lot of spare capacity. This is very rare as few neutral units survive. Fixing this would require changing code that is better left alone, so we're going to call this a feature and keep it as it is. Thanks for solving the mystery.

RE: Possible issue (bug?) - damaged units going to "frozen" allied country...

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:19 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Keith confirmed that neutral countries that convert to WA do so with their old nationality. So you have Spanish units fighting for the WA. When damaged, since there are no Spanish factories, they will go to any WA factory that is considered the best to go to (probably highest available factory points). Thus they go to the US which usually have a lot of spare capacity. This is very rare as few neutral units survive. Fixing this would require changing code that is better left alone, so we're going to call this a feature and keep it as it is. Thanks for solving the mystery.

RGR that...

And thank you for response and info Jeol!


Leo "Apollo11"