Page 1 of 1

Some first time player questions

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:53 pm
by rowech
Alright...I'm someone who generally just jumps right into a game and fiddles around...can't do that here. I went through the two tutorials completely, played a game and just didn't get it. Red through the manual at about 75% thorgoughness and just played another game getting beaten pretty badly. I have a couple of questions in terms of gameplay where I believe I'm missing something:

1. Supplies...I simply don't get it. I have it set to auto-supply but perhaps I'm simply not building enough trucks? How can one tell how many you need?

2. Transports....I don't understand how to move things on transports. Basically, all I can seemingly do is to build a line of transport ships and move the items throught the transport line to where I want it to be. Is this how things are done? I was under the impression, you put things on the ships and move them.

3. Airborne troops...do these need planes of some sort to be loaded into? How does one drop them into enemy territory?

That's it for now. I come from Axis and Allies board version and have read this is a much better version of it. I debated for 2-3 days whether to get this or Hearts of Iron...with how much trouble I've had here, boy am I glad I went this route. I'm not what I would call a military gamer, A&A along with Risk and that's about it.

RE: Some first time player questions

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:26 pm
by JanSorensen
I am still fairly new - so I can definitely relate.

1) I suggest playing without advanced supply initially - that way you dont have to worry about moving the supply. Assuming you already do that - you just need to make more supplies in production. Also - dont repair everything just because you can. In particular raidroads should only be repaired if you actually need them. During play - regularly keep an eye on how many supplies are used with each move (I personally use the repair screen to check but I am sure there are other places). After being low for a while you learns to produce more supplies AND to avoid unneeded moves. Unlike A&A - you _dont_ want to move all yours units all the time. Only when its worth the expenditure in supplies.

2) You have than one right. You need a string of transports and then you just strat-move units across that "raid road of the seas." Notice how the capacity is gradually spent with each unit moved.

3) Click on a heavy bomber - then right click on the paratrooper - then click on the drop hex.

Enjoy :)

RE: Some first time player questions

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:33 pm
by Tac2i
If you haven't read this thread already, take a look. It is in the top most level of the forum:

[FAQ] New Player's guide to GGWaW Top 10 list

RE: Some first time player questions

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:36 pm
by Joel Billings
Glad you took the plunge. With the help of the veterans, I'm sure you can get through the learning curve.
I agree that you should avoid Advanced Supply at first. As for how many, well that's a big strategy issue that varies greatly by player, strategy, and time period of the game. In the first few years of the first scenario against the AI, you probably should try to have at least the following supplies (trucks) on hand after your production phase:

Germany 100 (150 if about to attack Russia)
Japan 50-75 (100 if about to attack US)
Russia 50-75
China 15-20
Western Allies 100 (150 once the US is unfrozen)

These are very simplistic guidelines, but they should help you until you get more experience and can gauge for yourself what you need. Remember each supply (truck) on the production track turns into 5 supplies when completed and placed on the map.

As for transports, aside from the post above, you need to realize that there is a different capacity for amphibious invasions. When you are ready to pull off an invasion, you need roughly 2 transports in the sea zone next to the land area being invaded for every unit that you will be unloading across the beaches.

Good luck and we hope you enjoy the game.




RE: Some first time player questions

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:22 pm
by Boatshoe
Yeah, I'm also new and having trouble adjusting to the game. My Main problem is that I keep thinking in terms of A&A rules, and I get frustrated when the game doesn't work like that! Any tips on getting comfortable with the rules of this games system? A&A it is not! : )


RE: Some first time player questions

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:24 am
by TomFoolery
I'm new too. Was getting frustrated till I turned off the supplies by clicking on the "no supplies required" box under game options. Sure its cheating, but you got to learn how the game works. Naturally you should de-select it as your confidence builds.

RE: Some first time player questions

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:59 am
by a511
dont worry and take ur time. i think most of us have gone thro the "frustration" period in the adv supply rules, esp for the JP and WA navy movements in the pacific ...
however, once u understand more about it, u know what make this a great game!!

i agree that for beginners, its easier to use simple supply rules first. however, once u get urself familiar with other features of the game (production, research ...) i highly recommend u to try the adv supply rules. once u understand the adv rules, u will unfold a lot of new strategies (esp the true value of u-boats ...)

cheers,
AN