Page 1 of 1

Bombing supply

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:03 pm
by toddtreadway
I don't think supply is vulnerable to either infrastructure bombing or a normal ground attack. I think that it would be pretty cool to be able to destroy supply that are in groups of five. (I.e., less than five supply in a space would not be vulnerable, but each group of five above that could be targeted and destroyed).

RE: Bombing supply

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:23 pm
by batou
Might not be possible to add given the code, but I'd agree. The ability to bomb supplies would be a great addition. I guess it would simulate bombing supply depots and convoys.

RE: Bombing supply

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:53 pm
by 5cats
It would be interesting, but shouldn't be easy by any means!
4 supply or under shouldn't be able to be targeted, too dispursed & all that.
Each group of 5 supply could show up as an Infrastructure, which could be attacked optionally. A hit would only kill 1 supply though, I think, or 2. Or 1-3 randomly.
The attack could be seperate from infrastructure, or in addition with some (or all) air units able to attack twice.
But really, it's a lot of extra complications for such a small detail, eh?

RE: Bombing supply

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:07 pm
by carnifex
The supply you can't bomb directly is used to repair other infrastructure.

Ergo, to get rid of enemy supply, bomb more infrastructure.


RE: Bombing supply

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:37 pm
by batou
ORIGINAL: carnifex

The supply you can't bomb directly is used to repair other infrastructure.

Ergo, to get rid of enemy supply, bomb more infrastructure.


I do not agree...

The reason it would add an interesting element to the game is that it would allow for one to alter the enemy's plans by bombing supplies that would be needed for an attack on the next turn. e.g. if the WA has supplies built up in Malta for use by the Mediteranean fleets, the German player could bomb those supplies to severly limit the fleet's movement capabilities. This would add an interesting stategic element to battles during barbarossa, not to mention the whole new level of strategic depth it would add to the war in the pacific.

In addition, this might even be a better way to simulate the role of air power in WWII. I am no expert, but I gather from my readings on this and other forums that the greatest effect of air power (at least land based air power) was not the ability to destroy units in the field, but to impead the enemies ability to supply its own troops. Therefore, if the ability to bomb supplies was implemented, the land attack values of tac and strat bombers could be lowered as to better represent their capabilities at the time.

Anyway, it likely can't/won't get implemented in this version of WAW. I hope you are reading this Joel/Matrix/2by3, it might be something to consider putting into the next version (if there is one).


RE: Bombing supply

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:11 pm
by 5cats
Bombing Rails is the way to interrupt troop/supply movement in GGWaW. Even if you repair it, it's slightly reduced that turn, which works for me! :)

RE: Bombing supply

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:27 am
by MikeB
My relatively succesful German otherwise on the AAR board...finds keeping H Bmbrs available to bomb R railways difficult enough. Would you really want to use one of your own supply and a bomber<actually a fair number of individual real bombers> to bomb an enemies supply or 3 counter?

I suggest such is madness ...unless one is capable of destroying up to 20 supply per bomber. A long build-up to destroying enemy rail is the way to disrupt enemy attacks. I have effectively sealed Moscow off via rail in the game I am playing.

SU44, Ruskies have Leningrad, Moscow and Grozny. Points in between are heavily bombed such that there is no rail.
The brits on other hand have 15! H Bmbrs sitting in England and almost as many tanks! Happily for me, their transport fleets have fled the seas...Pacific and Atlantic.

Mike B