Page 1 of 1
Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:13 pm
by Darksky
Hi.
Sometimes i read about Jap Glen spotting my naval unit in area where i think there are not enemy CV. I see only the Glen spotting action.
I remember i see on a TV documentary that there was some jap ww2 sub that had on board 2 recon sea-plane that they dismount and place on water when they needed them.
May be those spotting action are made by glen on jap sub ?
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:13 pm
by pompack
The Glen is launched from a submarine.
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:14 pm
by Mike Solli
You got it. The Japanese start the war with 11 of those wonderful Glen carrying subs.
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:41 pm
by m10bob
The sub had to surface to remove the planes from a water-sealed hanger on the deck,and it took a while to launch them.I don't know how that is coded into the game but it should make those subs vulnerable to being spotted as 'sitting ducks" on the surface.They were also used to bomb Oregon,etc,before the balloon bombs,according to a book called "I Boat Captain",(which I no longer have)..
I can see advantages to a sub like that doing recon for anti-merchant shipping routes for other subs..
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:47 pm
by mogami
Hi, It took less then 30 minutes from time sub surfaced to time ac launched. Of course if the sub had to dive it would have to leave the Glen behind.
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:49 pm
by DuckofTindalos
There was of course also the Sen Toku monsters which carried three Seiran bombers meant to attack the Panama canal. What a waste of resources!
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:50 pm
by Mike Solli
ORIGINAL: Terminus
There was of course also the Sen Toku monsters which carried three Seiran bombers meant to attack the Panama canal. What a waste of resources!
Ohh, do we get them?[:'(]
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:12 pm
by DuckofTindalos
The Sen Toku class were the I-400, -401, and -402, and I believe they're in the OOB. I haven't seen the Seiran, though...
Check out this link:
http://www.combinedfleet.com/sen_toku.htm
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:38 am
by tsimmonds
ORIGINAL: Mike Solli
ORIGINAL: Terminus
There was of course also the Sen Toku monsters which carried three Seiran bombers meant to attack the Panama canal. What a waste of resources!
Ohh, do we get them?[:'(]
Sure! At a cost of only 12,960 naval shipbuilding points apiece, or about what it would cost to accelerate an Amagi class CV by 6 months.
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:05 am
by Oznoyng
ORIGINAL: Darksky
Hi.
Sometimes i read about Jap Glen spotting my naval unit in area where i think there are not enemy CV. I see only the Glen spotting action.
I remember i see on a TV documentary that there was some jap ww2 sub that had on board 2 recon sea-plane that they dismount and place on water when they needed them.
May be those spotting action are made by glen on jap sub ?
Yep. These guys are nice. Used properly, they are one of Japan's greatest assets. I put them adjacent to sea lanes and use them to vector subs onto transport TF's or as early warning "trip wires". In my game with Mogami, the intel they provided allowed me to ambush a SC TF with KB, netting me 4 CA and 8 DD for the loss of 12 Kates and 2 Vals. Another ship, a CL, is badly damaged and limping to a level 3 port at one hex per phase.
Previously, they allowed me to keep tabs on a TF of TK that was lightly escorted. I think I ended up getting 4 tankers with no losses to the subs. (Another TF ran over and sunk 2 subs in the same turn , though. :*-( )
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:56 am
by MarcA
Jap subs that carry planes are types A1, A2, B1, B2, B3/4 and the Sen Tuko.
Interestingly I13 and 14 were modified A1's and carried 2 Seiran float plan bombers. Though this isn't representetd in the game.
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:40 am
by Rainerle
Hi,
this really makes me wonder why for example the germans never came up with that idea (to put a recon plane on a sub). I know that in the 20's the british had sub(s?) with a recon plane on bord but they were srapped before WW2.
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:51 am
by Oleg Mastruko
Germans came up with the idea of putting helicopter on a sub [:D]
I guess there's not much chance of launching floatplane in your usual north Atlantic weather. Observation helicopters were mainly used in South Atlantic and Indian Ocean AFAIK (and it was experimentally, not on a large scale).
O.
RE: Recon plane on Jap sub ?
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:52 am
by DuckofTindalos
The idea of a plane-carrying submarine was only valid in the 1920's. Once the aircraft became the submarines Number One enemy, the SSCV became an excersize in futility.