Page 1 of 1

Boardgames

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:55 pm
by U2
So which companies still make them? Links please [:)]

Cheers
Dan

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:57 pm
by bluemonday
What kind of boardgames do you mean? There are tons of them.

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:58 pm
by Warpstorm
Boardgames have had a major comeback (both casual and wargames). To find out what is available, start at www.boardgamegeek.com.

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:01 pm
by U2
ORIGINAL: bluemonday

What kind of boardgames do you mean? There are tons of them.

Wargames, sorry should have said that more clearly. Not interested in anything else but wargames (boardgames)

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:26 pm
by Hanal
Lock n' Load Band of Heroes (which you can find right here at Matrix) is the first boardgame that I plan on buying in close to 15 years....

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:56 am
by AlvinS
Avalanche Press makes good board games.

Here is the link. Avalanche Press

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:20 am
by Warpstorm
Multi-Man Publishing and GMT games are my favorite wargame publishers these days.

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:54 am
by degen
U2, I'm happy to tell you that wargaming is alive and well! The best starting place on the net is the Consimworld website (www.consimworld.com). It has links to the wargame companies that are active nowadays. However, the best feature of the site are the forums with numerous folders for different games, companies, conventions, and other related topics. As is here on Matrix Games, the forum discussions are interesting and informative.

My personal recommendation for good game companies is Multiman Publishing and GMT. Both produce top-quality, high-playability games and Multiman has license to Advanced Squad Leader which is roughly the boardgame equivalent of SPWAW. Multiman also publishes the Gamers' line of products which has several different series of games on WW2 from tactical to high-level operational. Also, if you were a fan of the SPI games from the 70's and 80's, Decision Games has license to most of its products and has been reprinting some titles.

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:17 am
by bstarr
Yeah, there's a few more wargames out there than there were a few years ago, but I still miss Avalon Hill.

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:59 pm
by Procrustes

Check out Decision Games. If you subscribe to Strategy and Tactics you get a board game ever couple of months.

http://www.decisiongames.com/mags/st.htm


RE: Boardgames

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:49 pm
by James Ward

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:28 am
by petdoc
I just thought I would mention my personal favourite - Advanced Tobruk System by Critical Hit. Tactical WWII, similar to, but infinitely easier to get into than ASL. Its gathering up a lot of disinfranchised ASL players.

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:00 am
by U2
Thanks to all!

I've put in an order for a mint condition Korea: The Forgotten War on Ebay http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6581

RE: Boardgames

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:51 pm
by ravinhood
I have an electronic boardgame "Dark Tower" worth about $300 now. heh Amazes me what people will pay for some silly old boardgame with an electronic tower. I wonder how much my Intellivision is worth now? haha I also saw an old version of AH Guadacanal going for $200 at S&T, but, I've recently found it much cheaper on Ebay. Some people garage sale these games or estate auctions and have no clue the value of them. For $9 from one garage sale I picked up Waterloo AH, Alexander AH, Caesar at Alesia AH and The Punic Wars S&T. Alexander is still pretty popular and Punic Wars was very popular on ebay. Waterloo not so popular, but, still made a few dollars off of it. ;)

There's a slew of board wargames for sale on ebay from days of old so if you're looking for something a little aged like Squad Leader or Panzer Blitz or Panzer Leader etc, that's the place to look for them. And there's a slew of S&T magazines with unpunched games for sale there also 1/3rd the price of what the S&T subsciption rate is now.