Page 1 of 1

Soviet WW2 Airborne Operation

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:02 pm
by Redleg
I am trying to dig out info on the 1943 Soviet paradrop behind German lines.

It was the 6th or 8th Guards Para Brigade. They jumped into a panzer grenadier battalion. That is all I know about it except that fall, the destruction of the parachute brigade was one of the few German "successes".

Anyone know a bit more or a reference that would provide more info? I want to make a scenario of that battle.

artifice@fireserve.net

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:23 pm
by Mikimoto
Hello.
It was Kanev battle. An absolute disaster for the reds. Paras scattered in a 50 km radius and the jump lasted two days. I must look for some books... for more information.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 7:06 am
by CaptainBrian
The best source for this operation is "The Soviet Airborne Experience" by retired Colonel David M. Glantz. It is out of print and difficult to obtain. If you would like, I could probably scan some maps and/or key text for you. Just let me know.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 7:47 am
by Daniel Oskar
I seem to recall reading about that fiasco in "Scorched Earth" by Paul Carell.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 9:52 am
by Redleg
Many thanks.

I would greatly appreciate a scan of the area and a paragraph or two describing the action.

Memory...... Paul Carell's book must be where I remember reading about that. I loaned that book out last year and it hasn't found its way back home... as I recall, there wasn't much in there. Just enough to get my attention and whet my appetite.

Glantz' books are awfully hard to find and expensive... but I keep looking.

Thanks again. I'll be waiting anxiously for any additional info you might send my way.

artifice@fireserve.net is the email address.

Redleg