Page 1 of 1

Mouse Hang-Ups

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:55 pm
by KG Erwin
For some reason, this is the only game that gives me a hang in mouse-dragging. It gets stuck, and will not respond properly. Direct X version 9.0c, and all drivers updated for my Dell Dimension 2400. Windows XP Service Pack 2. I have 512MB RAM. The video driver is a stock version.

RE: Mouse Hang-Ups

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:16 am
by RocketMan
The same thing happens to me.

RE: Mouse Hang-Ups

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:20 pm
by Erik Rutins
Is this at all repeatable for you? Can you provide more info on any pattern, if one exists, as to where/when it happens?

RE: Mouse Hang-Ups

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:44 pm
by Ralph1961
Have you tried alt-tab to minimise the game and then returning to the game? If I recall correctly the game would wok properly after I did that. I have no idea if that is still the case but it is worth a try.
Ralph

RE: Mouse Hang-Ups

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:51 pm
by KG Erwin
Thanks for responding, Erik. I'm playing RFTS in the default XP mode, with 8 civs on an enormous random map (150 stars), grouped into 4 star clusters, and unlimited game length. The first problems start after I manually alter my home planet's research que.

Ralph, I'll try your suggestion & see if it works.

RE: Mouse Hang-Ups

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:53 pm
by RocketMan
I haven't found a pattern, but if I do I will let you know.

RE: Mouse Hang-Ups

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:44 pm
by Erik Rutins
Glenn,

Does this only happen for you on the largest maps - i.e. does game size make any difference? We've seen mouse issues at times when a system is struggling a bit in other games but right now I'm just trying to find out if this is entirely random in RFTS for you or if there is any pattern we can try to duplicate here.

I've played through at least three full, large map campaigns of RFTS here on my computer and have never seen this so I'm hoping we can come up with something that will allow duplication (and thus a fix).

Regards,

- Erik

RE: Mouse Hang-Ups

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:33 pm
by KG Erwin
Ok, I changed two things, and the "hanging mouse" stopped : firstly, I did NOT use the advanced map setup for the clustering of stars--I just picked an enormous map. Secondly, I started the game straight from the RFTS.exe, NOT autorun.exe.

This worked fine (enormous random map, 8 civs) until around turn 150--at that point the game crashed to the desktop. I suppose this means I should not set the game for "unlimited turns", or else play with fewer civs in the mix.