Page 1 of 2
OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:53 pm
by Tanaka
To all my WITP buddies I highly recommend you guys check out Crown of Glory! Matrix does it again with this one! This game is really competing with WITP for my time right now and it will only get better! You guys should check it out and support Matrix for putting together another great turned based grognard title!!! And tactical battles to boot! Another sleep eating up all nighter game here! [:D]
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:56 pm
by DuckofTindalos
I'll second that. See you finally got the thing downloaded then, Tanaka...
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:56 pm
by treespider
I saw this....One of my buddies here in knoxville has been waiting for computer Empires in Arms since I introduced the group to the paper version several years ago. How is the pacing of CoG? Will it take 10 years to complete a campaign?
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:04 pm
by Tanaka
ORIGINAL: treespider
I saw this....One of my buddies here in knoxville has been waiting for computer Empires in Arms since I introduced the group to the paper version several years ago. How is the pacing of CoG? Will it take 10 years to complete a campaign?
the pacing is great. you can set however you want the campaign to last or the victory conditions...
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:44 am
by dpstafford
ORIGINAL: Tanaka
To all my WITP buddies I highly recommend you guys check out Crown of Glory! Matrix does it again with this one! This game is really competing with WITP for my time right now and it will only get better! You guys should check it out and support Matrix for putting together another great turned based grognard title!!! And tactical battles to boot! Another sleep eating up all nighter game here! [:D]
CoG is a great concept. But IMHO it is a bug-fest sitting underneath a horrendous user interface. I would wait 3 or 4 patches before taking the plunge on this one. (Too bad I can't go back in time and take my own advice.....).
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:58 am
by Grotius
I downloaded it and am excited to play it -- just haven't had time, what with my WITP PBEM and work and all.

Maybe tomorrow...
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:14 am
by Bodhi
ORIGINAL: dpstafford
CoG is a great concept. But IMHO it is a bug-fest sitting underneath a horrendous user interface. I would wait 3 or 4 patches before taking the plunge on this one. (Too bad I can't go back in time and take my own advice.....).
So it's very similar to WitP then? [;)] [:D]
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:14 am
by Andrew Brown
ORIGINAL: Grotius
I downloaded it and am excited to play it -- just haven't had time, what with my WITP PBEM and work and all.

Maybe tomorrow...
I know what you mean. I bought GGWAW recently, but have yet to play it - too busy modding, and now playing, WitP (doing a GGWAW mod though - can't help myself).
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:15 am
by Reiryc
Game isn't a bug-fest by any means...and the interface works fine but does take some getting used too. However, anyone playing WitP or UV should have no problems with getting used to interfaces that aren't that intuitive.
It's a load of fun and well worth the purchase. The game is designed well and I think achieves what it set out to do quite well.
You can finish a campaign pretty quick 5-6 hours if you play using the quick battles option or play longer if you use detailed battles and actually do the fighting.
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:07 pm
by Mr.Frag
(doing a GGWAW mod though - can't help myself).
Good stuff Andrew ... get real good at modding GGWaW as it will be the engine upon which War in Russia is built so you'll be ready to go for both it and the Civil War game Gary is doing. [8D]
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:28 pm
by EUBanana
Good oh. I need a new strategy game I think, but funds are going to be extremely tight from now on till I get a new job (always the problem - you either have money, or time, but not both), and I was eying up Crown of Glory to be the one true game I could buy and be happy with for a long time.
Out of curiosity, how is the navy handled? All the screenies I see are of musketeers and cavalry and stuff. You don't get a neat zoomup of Trafalgar when you bring out your 74's?
Needless to say I have Britain in mind for this game.

RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:28 pm
by Andrew Brown
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Good stuff Andrew ... get real good at modding GGWaW as it will be the engine upon which War in Russia is built so you'll be ready to go for both it and the Civil War game Gary is doing. [8D]
I'll probably be modded out by then. Will be interested in seeing those games, though. The GGWAW mod I started is only a graphics mod.
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:19 pm
by Reiryc
ORIGINAL: EUBanana
Good oh. I need a new strategy game I think, but funds are going to be extremely tight from now on till I get a new job (always the problem - you either have money, or time, but not both), and I was eying up Crown of Glory to be the one true game I could buy and be happy with for a long time.
Out of curiosity, how is the navy handled? All the screenies I see are of musketeers and cavalry and stuff. You don't get a neat zoomup of Trafalgar when you bring out your 74's?
Needless to say I have Britain in mind for this game.
Naval battles are handled only in the quick combat format. If you played axis and allies think of the battle board. You can conduct naval invasions, transport troops, blockade ports, attack ships in port (and suffer from port guns), privateers, merchants, etc.
Also, there are upgrades that allow to you get colonial warfare which gives you a random chance to take an enemies colonies overseas. This increases your income.
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:26 pm
by scout1
Good stuff Andrew ... get real good at modding GGWaW as it will be the engine upon which War in Russia is built so you'll be ready to go for both it and the Civil War game Gary is doing.
Don't tell me the War in Russia that 2by3 is working is using that cartoon game engine. Not a hex based gronard game ? Pity.
BTW, No real offense meant to the engine itself or GGWaW. Just a bit too abstract for my liking. Guess I'll just have to mod BiI for a East front version.
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:34 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
get real good at modding GGWaW as it will be the engine upon which War in Russia is built so you'll be ready to go for both it and the Civil War game Gary is doing. [8D]
As far as I know from info that was provided at forums GGWaW game engine will be used to create new USA Civil War game but WiR (War in Russia) should be something completely different...
Leo "Apollo11"
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:43 pm
by Jim D Burns
ORIGINAL: scout1
Good stuff Andrew ... get real good at modding GGWaW as it will be the engine upon which War in Russia is built so you'll be ready to go for both it and the Civil War game Gary is doing.
Don't tell me the War in Russia that 2by3 is working is using that cartoon game engine. Not a hex based gronard game ? Pity.
BTW, No real offense meant to the engine itself or GGWaW. Just a bit too abstract for my liking. Guess I'll just have to mod BiI for a East front version.
I too am very disappointed to hear this sad news. Guess I'll be sticking with the original WIR for another 10+ years, too bad.
It's definitely a sign that they're chasing the dollars now. Can't blame them, but it's very bad news for hard core grognards. Abstraction appeals more to the masses so it looks like 2x3 will be doing nothing but abstract games from now on.[:(]
Wonder how long it'll be before they start doing RTS titles?
Jim
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:47 pm
by Tanaka
ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns
ORIGINAL: scout1
Good stuff Andrew ... get real good at modding GGWaW as it will be the engine upon which War in Russia is built so you'll be ready to go for both it and the Civil War game Gary is doing.
Don't tell me the War in Russia that 2by3 is working is using that cartoon game engine. Not a hex based gronard game ? Pity.
BTW, No real offense meant to the engine itself or GGWaW. Just a bit too abstract for my liking. Guess I'll just have to mod BiI for a East front version.
I too am very disappointed to hear this sad news. Guess I'll be sticking with the original WIR for another 10+ years, too bad.
It's definitely a sign that they're chasing the dollars now. Can't blame them, but it's very bad news for hard core grognards. Abstraction appeals more to the masses so it looks like 2x3 will be doing nothing but abstract games from now on.[:(]
Wonder how long it'll be before they start doing RTS titles?
Jim
no no no u guys are hearing this wrong...
the Civil War game will be like GGWAW. more abstract...
the War in Russian game will be just as detailed as the original if not more.
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:48 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Now you're doing wishful thinking, Tanaka...
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:57 pm
by Jim D Burns
ORIGINAL: Tanaka
no no no u guys are hearing this wrong...
the Civil War game will be like GGWAW. more abstract...
the War in Russian game will be just as detailed as the original if not more.
Well this is what I read:
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
(doing a GGWAW mod though - can't help myself).
Good stuff Andrew ... get real good at modding GGWaW as it will be the engine upon which War in Russia is built so you'll be ready to go for both it and the Civil War game Gary is doing. [8D]
Sounds to me like you're hearing it wrong, not I.
Jim
RE: OT: Just had to promote this new Matrix game! It is a gem in my opinion!
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:00 pm
by Tanaka
ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns
ORIGINAL: Tanaka
no no no u guys are hearing this wrong...
the Civil War game will be like GGWAW. more abstract...
the War in Russian game will be just as detailed as the original if not more.
Well this is what I read:
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
(doing a GGWAW mod though - can't help myself).
Good stuff Andrew ... get real good at modding GGWaW as it will be the engine upon which War in Russia is built so you'll be ready to go for both it and the Civil War game Gary is doing. [8D]
Sounds to me like you're hearing it wrong, not I.
Jim
yes using the same more advanced engine. but two totally different games! [:)]
you could remake WITP with the GGWAW engine you see....it would be the same game but with a better engine.....