Page 1 of 1
Lee Mark 1
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 6:51 pm
by timc
I'm playing the WWII campaign as Britain. I slogged through the first couple of years trying o keep my poor cruiser tanks out of harm's way and then re-equipped with Grant Mark 1's as soon as they became available. A couple of battles later I saw the Lee Mark 1 and looked at the characteristics. Hmm. Has .303 CMGx2 instead of one like on the Grant. I changed a platoon to Lees figuriing they would be slightly better than Grants at suppressing infantry. What I find is that they exterminate infantry. A machine gun burst from a Lee at anything less than 6 hexes will destroy a squad in the open. By destroy, I mean destroy, wipe out. At ranges greater than 6 it still has a very good chance of destroying a squad with one burst.
While I have benefitted greatly from this, I think it probably isn't right. Perhaps this should be corrected.
On another, minor, issue - when I changed from Stuart I to Stuart V the firing sound and graphic changed from normal small tank cannon to a flak sort of burst sound and graphic. I checked the OOB editor for both weapons and they both have the same class and sound (0). What's up with that?
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 8:35 pm
by Warhorse
Sounds like the weapon warhead size, or weapon size is off, check that fiels once.
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 9:19 pm
by Grumble
The Lee Mk1 had two fixed bow MGs that were operated by the driver. They were found to be of limited usefulness, compared to the space they took up, and removed.
I suspect that given the difficulties in operating them, that in game terms a simple 1xBMG is sufficient (though with greatly reduced fire control).
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:06 pm
by AmmoSgt
I think if you look those twin bow machine guns have an HE kill rating of about 120 .. as opposed to the regular value of about 8 or 9 .
It was one of the first values I changed in the Tiger Team OOB scrub for OOB 7.0
Likewise the Quad 20mm Flak had only a 12 or 18 ..I forget now, they got boosted up into the 30-40 range, Paul V made the final call .. but I think I had them at 40 originally
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:33 pm
by timc
Both the Grant and the Lee have twin bow machine guns but the Lee also has twin coax machine guns. The HE kill for weapon 177 30 cal CMG is 13 and the HE kill for weapon 178 30 cal CMGx2 is 120. You got it AmmoSgt. 120 seems a trifle excessive to me, but I rather enjoy vaporising German infantry so I think I'll keep it until I finish the campaign.
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:30 am
by AmmoSgt
wee bit over valued .. LOL
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:56 pm
by nexus
Originally posted by AmmoSgt:
I think if you look those twin bow machine guns have an HE kill rating of about 120 .. as opposed to the regular value of about 8 or 9 .
It was one of the first values I changed in the Tiger Team OOB scrub for OOB 7.0
Likewise the Quad 20mm Flak had only a 12 or 18 ..I forget now, they got boosted up into the 30-40 range, Paul V made the final call .. but I think I had them at 40 originally
mhhh...while playing a U.S. ww2 campaign i didn´t noticed that the lee with the twin 30cal are THAT effective as stated above...quite normal IMHO.
BTW: i think until 1943 the LEE is no bad tank at all. but than it´s weak armor makes it obsolete..
the M4A3 isn´t much better,except for armor. the first real good US tank is the 76mm M4.