Page 1 of 1

Trojan in mech.exe

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:24 pm
by JVega
I downloaded SP:WaW a good while ago onto my laptop and I fell in love with it. I had played it for a good month or so when I downloaded A2 guard, installed it and ran it. Thing is, it identified MECH.exe as a trojan (TrojanDropper.Win32.Smorph). I deleted it immediately and was thus heartbroken. Now I've downloaded the game again on my desktop, and the first thing I do is scan the MECH.exe file with A2 Guard, and again it's -immediately- identified as a trojan! The same one!

I downloaded it from: http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm

Is that site a hoax site of sorts? Is A2 buggy? Did I download the game from a wrong website, or what?


Also; I'm very, very sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

RE: Trojan in mech.exe

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:26 pm
by Belphegor
I'd try scanning with a different tool and see if it gets the same results. Sometimes false positives are generated and only by trying a different program (designed to find the same trojan) can you see if it is truly there, or just an error in the first program

RE: Trojan in mech.exe

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:29 pm
by DuckofTindalos
I just used my virus scanner on it, and detected no Trojan.

RE: Trojan in mech.exe

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:21 pm
by JVega
I downloaded a trial version of TPS-3, and it reported no trojans. =) I suppose it's A2's fault then.

Thanks for the replies!

RE: Trojan in mech.exe

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:59 pm
by RBWhite
JVega

I visit and use Armore Site quite often and have downloaded from the site for about two or three years and never had a problem.

The site is not a hoax, Prado does a nice job with that website. Alot of good history and information.

Like the others said your getting a false positive. If your able try a different virus scan.

Rick White

RE: Trojan in mech.exe

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:16 pm
by Paul Vebber
Some less reliable detectors classify the TCP/IP fuctionality in the game as a hidden "Trojan".

There is no information being harvested or transmitted by the mech.exe - it just allows you to ply the game "LIVE" via a LAN or internet.

RE: Trojan in mech.exe

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:23 am
by chief
Jvega:
I also have used and downloaded for the past 5 years from ARMOR SITE with no problems whatsoever. FWIW